"Love is Putting Someone Else’s Needs Before Yours" a May 2017/Beach Club PTR COMPLETE 5/21

Real Life Update

I'm not even sure anyone cares about a 'real life' update so feel free to just skip to my next trip-related post, I won't be offended :)

DH and I have quite a few things to get done before our trip so I thought I'd jot down a list of things happening before we head out

3/26 Fastpass day!

4/15 Celebrate Easter with our families. Usually we host Easter at our house but I have a final exam on 4/28 so I'm not too sure I'll be up for that challenge

4/23 Bring one of my cousins to the airport (I LOVE airports and this might just put might enhance my excitement for our upcoming trip!)

4/28 My last of in class grad school

5/4, 5/5, 5/6 - I'm taking a review course for the state nurse practitioner test which is in Boston. The course is from 8am-6pm 5/4 and 5/5 and 5/6 from 8am-1pm. I really want to stay in the hotel that is hosting the conference, but its $265 a night + plus tax and I only live 16 miles away. BUT I don't want to deal with the commute/traffic. AND I don't really want to stay anywhere else (unless its walking distance to the review course) and deal with ubers, taxis, subway, etc).

5/18 GRADUATION for DH and I! Both our of parents, his parents and maybe one or two of my brothers will be attending and then we're going to dinner

and... AFTER our vacation, I'm having surgery.

I've been having right hip/groin pain for the past 8-9 years and last year I FINALLY saw an orthopedist that did an MRA and turns out I have a labral tear. This is not an emergency situation, or anything but there is only one way to fix the problem.. to stitch the tear up. I did get a cortisone injection last year and the relief I had was AMAZING. But, it only lasted 10 months. So I went back to the doctor a few weeks ago on a Friday morning hoping for another injection and to be on my merry way for another 10 months. Well... the ortho said I could have one more injection, but any more than that will basically guarantee my a hip replacement by age 40 (so... in 11 years). Yikes. So we discussed three options: one more injection and see how long it lasts, live with the pain, or labral tear surgery. I decided against another injection bc as much pain as I'm in every day, I'm, not about to put myself at higher risk for a hip replacement at age 40!! Living with the pain doesn't seem very fun either, so I decided on the surgery. I can't run anymore, certain positions are very uncomfortable and overall I can't do the things I want to do. I was told I would be out of work for 2-3 weeks and then have lots of therapy and can expect to be 'back' to myself in 6 months.

This will be a day procedure and I can go home that night. The lovely receptionist called me that afternoon to set everything up and offered me a March 1st surgery date! Heck no I have to finish school and I didn't want to risk having any complications before our trip. She offered me May 31st, but thats the day we get back from Disney so that was out. Finally we decided on 6/12... just one day after our sixth wedding anniversary.

Up next...5/26/17 Plans: Resort, Pool, Nap, AK, River of Light

Last edited:
We actually switched from the Beach Club to PORS now, (in sep) but Beaches and Cream is still a must!

Sorry to hear about your surgery. It sounds like the best course of action, but it still sucks. At least you could schedule it after the trip!

First Full Day Plans

Friday, May 26th -
RESORT/BOMA/AK

Overall plan for the day is to sleep in. Most likely I’ll be awake first so I’ll probably run to the Beach Club Marketplace to grab us breakfast to eat in the room. Then its pool and nap time for the day before dinner then go to Rivers of Light and get a few attractions in... hoping this day will be a little 'lighter' since Pandora opens the next day.

Breakfast: Beach Club Marketplace

Lunch: Hurricane Hanna’s or Les Halles

Dinner: Boma 6:30pm

Rivers of Light 9:15pm

AK FP+ selections: Kali River Rapids, Kilimanjaro Safari

Snack credit ideas: Tamu Tamu Refreshments Chocolate Waffle - with vanilla ice cream or chocolate mousse $5

chicken fried rice, pork egg roll (Yak and Yeti)
- Asian noodle salad (Trek Snacks)
- buffalo chicken waffle slider
- Jungle Juice slushy - no souvenir cup(Mahindi)
- Garlic knots & Tomato Basil soup (Pizzafari)

Drinks I want to try: Pineapple Dole Whip Cup with Dark or Coconut Rum (Tamu Tamu Refreshments) ; literally every drink at Hurrican Hanna's (jk...haha!)

Up next... 5/25 and 5/26 Changes

Last edited:

We actually switched from the Beach Club to PORS now, (in sep) but Beaches and Cream is still a must!

AHH... I'll be interested to see how you feel about POR... I was hesitant to try it... idk why!! I'm actually second guessing Beaches and Cream now... for some reason I thought this was a QS... IDK where I got that idea from!

Sorry to hear about your surgery. It sounds like the best course of action, but it still sucks. At least you could schedule it after the trip!

Thanks, I'm looking forward to not being in pain though! I kinda felt weird putting the surgery off for five months but since I've lied with the pain for this long it'll be better if I'm done grad school first... and obviously not interfering with my Disney trip! hah!

AHH... I'll be interested to see how you feel about POR... I was hesitant to try it... idk why!! I'm actually second guessing Beaches and Cream now... for some reason I thought this was a QS... IDK where I got that idea from!

Thanks, I'm looking forward to not being in pain though! I kinda felt weird putting the surgery off for five months but since I've lied with the pain for this long it'll be better if I'm done grad school first... and obviously not interfering with my Disney trip! hah!

I hesitated too on PORS but we've stayed at POFQ before. I love that it's cloee to DS.

Beaches and Cream is fun though. We've never had a meal (well we split a burger once) but we did get ice cream. They have a QS window but I'm not sure the full menu is available there.

5/25 and 5/26 Updates

I've been hesitant to get to ahead of myself and have no planning left before we go... but @Raevan is inspiring me!

I've stared a 12 week "bikini body" challenge which end 3 days before our trip ....I'm super excited to try and get rid of the 9lbs turning 29 gave me a birthday present! Haha... but seriously. I need to get it in check.

I have a "normal" work week next week then I have two weeks "off" to go to my clinicals. I'm not sure what's more painful... working for "free" or using my vacation time to work for "free". Sigh. At least I only have 63 days left! Woot woot!

And we had record braking temps in Boston yesterday... 66 degrees! That's the New England weather for ya... 2 feet of snow last week, 66 this week!

Ok, now on with the show!

5/25 Update
I'm 99% sure I'm going to cancel our Beaches and Cream reservation and use a QS at the Boardwalk Bakery. We have a signature ADR on Sunday 5/27 so we wouldn't have enough TS credits to go with the rest of our plans if we stuck with Beaches & Cream. For some reason I thought B&C was a QS ... idk why I thought that! The Boardwalk Bakery looks like it has some good sandwich options both DH and I would like. Can anyone confirm the seating situation is there ? I guess that is not really a make it or break it for us since we could always try to grab a bench or walk back to the room if wanted to. I'm hoping we won't be exhausted by the time we get settled in.

5/26 Update

DH and I have been sticking to a sleep schedule and it's really helping him with his energy levels so I think we want to try to stick to this most of our vacation... well, at least the wake up time between 6am-7am.
I am always tired when I wake up but I really enjoy peaceful morning coffees and walks.
So... I am trying really work this plan of waking up early and by grabbing a PPO BOG ADR! I was able to get an 8:30 ADR... I haven't told DH about this yet... let's see how tired is his tonight before I tell him about this plan :rolleyes1

Otherwise our plan would be mostly the same, but maybe we'll try to hit a few attractions once we're done breakfast, before the crowds pick up too much and the heat is
unbearable. Then we'll go back to the pool and relax until we return for our dinner, DH's favorite, LTT, that night.

Next up... I change things around...again

Last edited:

I went to Boardwalk Bakery and I can't really remember but we grabbed a seat on the Boardwalk to eat so I don't think there was any inside.

We had the same weather here in NY :rotfl:

HII!!! So glad to have you! I was looking for a funny gif to insert here... something like 'hey girl hey' but my computer isn't cooperating and I haven't had any coffee yet... so just i imagined something funny here :) Do you have any trips planned? That peanut situation sounds amazing...

Haha, I'll let it slide... just this once ;):rotfl:

As quoted from the Disney website, the No Way Jose is described as "A peanut butter and hot fudge delight featuring chocolate and vanilla ice cream, peanut butter and chocolate morsels, whipped cream, and a cherry" :love: Even though you've decided not to do Beaches and Cream anymore, you should really think about just getting ice cream from there in the afternoon if you're at Stormalong Bay! My sister Haley and I did this both trips when we stayed at the BC/YC and it's a fun way to cool off by the pool!!

Yes, I do have a trip planned actually! You can read about it more in my TR, but it's a girl's trip that I planned with my best friend Gabi and her cousin Kaley! We leave in 3 weeks and we just booked it last Thursday! :earseek:

5/18 GRADUATION for DH and I! Both our of parents, his parents and maybe one or two of my brothers will be attending and then we're going to dinner
Awesome! I'll be heading to Disney but what a fantastic day for you guys!!!

and... AFTER our vacation, I'm having surgery.
But this sucks. Although of the 3 options I think you picked the best one.

And we had record braking temps in Boston yesterday... 66 degrees!
Here in NY too! Kids were so happy. Tomorrow is supposed to get cold again, then warms up a bit Tues., possible snow showers Friday morning. Only bad thing about this back and forth weather is everyone getting sick :crazy2:

Can anyone confirm the seating situation is there ?
As @Raeven said there's no seating inside, but there's lots of seating outside on the BW. So as long as it's a nice day you can sit out there and enjoy the beautiful scenery of that area; it's gorgeous :goodvibes

Welcome back trusty Dis readers! I've spent the last few days getting caught up on @Mollydolly334 and @ariane37's TRs/PTRs! I'm feeling SO inspired and getting more and more excited!!

Last post I left off with me adding a PPO BOG ADR and wondering if/when I should tell DH! In real world land, nothing very exciting has been happening.

I STILL haven't unpacked from January trip to WDW and my suitcase has just been chilling in our den/office...I pick out clothes from there every so often, when I need them. I mean, I took the dirty clothes out and washed them. But the backpacks, ponchos, travel size toiletries, bathing suits, flip flops, suncreen, etc. are all in there. DH has kindly asked me, about, say, 230293 times to please do something with the luggage and all of the clothing that is hanging out of it :chat: I, however, have other plans. Whats the point in unpacking just to re pack in just a few short months? HAH!

Anyway... Just a few more updates, as I continue to perfect our plans... because I can't leave well enough alone

But first, a countdown:

image1 (20).JPG

I know it's not even a little bit crafty... but hey, it keeps me sane knowing there's a light at the end of the tunnel! Once I book our FP+ and do online check in I think it'll start feeling even more real!! (Yes, this is a dry erase board on our refrigerator that also doubles as a grocery list, lol)

And now onto the tweaked plans:

5/26
Since the main reason we are even going to AK on the 26th is for ROL, that needs to be added to my FP wishlist ... how did I not include this in my original plans?!

And... I let DH know about our PPO BOG ADR on the 26th. It went something like this:

Me: Guess what! I got us a 'Be Our Guest' breakfast reservation before the park even opens on our first full day in Disney"

DH: is that a character thing? I'm not doing a meal with characters until we have kids!!

Me: omg stop no it's not! It's a good use of a QS credit and hopefully we'll be done breakfast before the park "opens" so we can ride some rides without long wait times. My mom and I did it in January and it was great, we got to walk on 7DMT

DH: you know I don't like roller coasters

Me: ok, your getting a 'grumpy' t shirt. :goodvibes

So there you have it folks, DH will not be dining with characters or riding roller coasters. Notice how he didn't say anything about character meet and greets though

Well, that update was short and sweet but I'm planning on getting another in on Thursday night as I have a four hour lecture to 'attend' ;)

Next up... May 27th Plans

Last edited:
:rotfl: Well it looks like Be Our Guest is fine then since it's not a character breakfast or a roller coaster.

I got my dad a Grumpy shirt on our first trip. He is one of the grumpiest people I know and he asked me "why I thought this shirt suited him" :rotfl:

Hi! Joining in! Our dates overlap (May 28th-June 4th). My husband and I stayed at Beach Club on our honeymoon in July this last summer. I saw you ask about requesting a King Bed. We had requested a King Bed and when we showed up they said our request couldn't be found. I guess because I requested different things on the Online Check-in (since King Bed isn't an option) it deleted my original requests. So just a heads up to not request anything on Online Check-in in order to keep your verbal requests.

I mean, I took the dirty clothes out and washed them
Well that's nice to know! We can still be friends then :thumbsup2

I know it's not even a little bit crafty... but hey, it keeps me sane knowing there's a light at the end of the tunnel!
That's about as crafty as I get so it looks great to me lol

So there you have it folks, DH will not be dining with characters or riding roller coasters. Notice how he didn't say anything about character meet and greets though
Ha! Funny because Steve and I will be doing our first character meal without the boys in May and while he's agreeable to it, he's feeling kind of weirded out about it at the same time. He doesn't have a problem doing meet and greets with me though!

:rotfl: Well it looks like Be Our Guest is fine then since it's not a character breakfast or a roller coaster.

I got my dad a Grumpy shirt on our first trip. He is one of the grumpiest people I know and he asked me "why I thought this shirt suited him" :rotfl:

Haha yes, I love it!!!​

DH bought himself a blue a t-shirt with grumpy cat on it that says 'No' and he likes to wear it on Fridays... I'm sure his employees really enjoy him! haha! It literally looks like this, only blue:
grumpy-cat-no.jpg

Hi! Joining in! Our dates overlap (May 28th-June 4th). My husband and I stayed at Beach Club on our honeymoon in July this last summer. I saw you ask about requesting a King Bed. We had requested a King Bed and when we showed up they said our request couldn't be found. I guess because I requested different things on the Online Check-in (since King Bed isn't an option) it deleted my original requests. So just a heads up to not request anything on Online Check-in in order to keep your verbal requests.

Hi, welcome!!! yay for end of May trips! Where are you staying? Did you like the Beach Club? I bet it was perfect for a honeymoon <3 DH and I stayed at CSR for our honeymoon in 2011, its our favorite mod!

Thanks for the heads up about a king bed... how did you complete your original request? I def won't request anything on line check in then... ideally we'd like a high floor room, king bed and full size balcony but I'm sure everyone else does too, so we'll be happy with whatever we get! :)

I'm the last one to judge on the unpacking. I have a few bags right now with various 'travel' stuff that will probably stay there...until who knows when? I did at least unpack my clothes too which is a bonus. Well we won't mention the huge trashbag full of clothing I have of my mom's from over the weekend that I'm not sure when I'll get to or where I'm going to put it in my already packed closet, but eventually I'll have to figure that out.

So sad you have to cancel Beaches and Cream...that is the one I refuse to cancel! We haven't been there in so long that I'm just determined to keep it around. I've cancelled almost all of our other ADRs at this point except that one and Chef Mickey, which my kids insist on doing. I can't remember the others...but there are all in my PTR update (link in my siggy) if you want to know them! ;)

I'd love to do BOG again but not this trip. We've got at least two more hopefully in 2017 so maybe one of those.

I have a few bags right now with various 'travel' stuff that will probably stay there...until who knows when? I did at least unpack my clothes too which is a bonus. Well we won't mention the huge trashbag full of clothing I have of my mom's from over the weekend that I'm not sure when I'll get to or where I'm going to put it in my already packed closet, but eventually I'll have to figure that out.

Haha love it! The struggle is REAL!​

images

so sad you have to cancel Beaches and Cream...that is the one I refuse to cancel!

I've been working on a way to keep this... stay tuned :)

I can't remember the others...but there are all in my PTR update (link in my siggy) if you want to know them! ;)

Heading to your PTR now! I've never done Chefs Mickeys... I've heard the food is meh, but the kids love it!

I'd love to do BOG again but not this trip. We've got at least two more hopefully in 2017 so maybe one of those

It actually isn't my favorite for a TS, but it IS a good use of QS and if we can get PPO... even better!

I've been working on a way to keep this... stay tuned :)

Heading to your PTR now! I've never done Chefs Mickeys... I've heard the food is meh, but the kids love it!

It actually isn't my favorite for a TS, but it IS a good use of QS and if we can get PPO... even better!

OOOH....can't wait to hear what you do with Beaches and Cream! :)

Yes Chef Mickey's is not at ALL about the food, it's the characters and just tradition even for my older kids! We've mostly done breakfast and it's fine...hard to go too wrong with breakfast foods but the price....EEK! For the cost of one of us we could all five do the all-u-can-eat buffet at Golden Corral! I don't expect that brunch will be too much better but at least a few more choices.

BOG is certainly great for QS for sure...and I did enjoy our breakfast there a few years ago.

I last left off with some revised plans for 5/25 and 5/26 which I'm pretty happy about! The next two weeks are going to be particularly busy for us, as I'll be at my clinical site Monday-Thursday and working at my job from on Friday. Beginning on Monday (March 6th) DH will start his last two graduate classes which are six weeks long. He could have chosen to take one at a time we both decided he should just get it over with and work really hard for next six weeks. His final class will be April 18th and mine is April 28th!

Now for the magical plans I've created for May 27th

I'm assuming the parks will be VERY busy as this is the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend and the final weekend of F&G. Our plans to hang have a low key morning at the pool and then head to Magic Kingdom late afternoon.

According to the google doc I created to help me keep track of my plans, we'll likely each use a snack credit at the Beach Club Marketplace for breakfast. DH likes to lounge in bed for an hour or so in the mornings when we're when we're on vacation, wheres as I like to get up and get a chair at the pool and just overall enjoy the resort. I love that we can each do our own thing and not feel 'pressured' by the other. DH will have no problem with me sneaking out of the room and enjoying a coffee and bagel pool side while he just relaxes.

Lunch plans are not a definite, but I'm thinking we'll do one of the below:

#1 Hurricane Hanna's - most convenient location for us and the 'seafood roll' and 'pulled pork sandwich' sound delicious. Also, the bacon cheeseburgers sounds good too - what can I say, I'm not a picky eater and love food!

#2 La Cantina - DH and I both really enjoy Medixan food. If it's extremely hot and we don't feel like walking from IG to Mexican Pavillion we could take the boat from Japan area to the front of WS. Literally everything looks good on the menu!

#3 Boulangerie Patisserie ... that Croque Monsier is right up our alley! Or the Jambon Beurre! mmmmm! We might even splurge and split dessert from L'Artisan de Glaces, either of us have been there.

Dinner is DH's favorite... Liberty Tree Tavern, ADR is at 6:30pm.

MK is supposed to close at 9pm this night, which seems kind of early... I'd like to get to MK by 3:30/4pm to do a few attractions before dinner, and then a few afterwards as well. We aren't planning on seeing Happily Ever After this night, so maybe we can take advantage of some short lines while other guests watch the show.

My FP+ wishlist is...

POTC
Jungle Cruise
Haunt Mansion

And then hopefully we can use MDE to add on PhilarMagic, IASW, Buzz Lightyear. We also want to see Carousel of Progress, do some shopping, etc.

Up next... Planning for 2019

Last edited:

Hi, welcome!!! yay for end of May trips! Where are you staying? Did you like the Beach Club? I bet it was perfect for a honeymoon <3 DH and I stayed at CSR for our honeymoon in 2011, its our favorite mod!

Thanks for the heads up about a king bed... how did you complete your original request? I def won't request anything on line check in then... ideally we'd like a high floor room, king bed and full size balcony but I'm sure everyone else does too, so we'll be happy with whatever we get! :)

We are staying at Saratoga Springs - my friend has a time share so we are using her points to stay there. Beach Club is AMAZING! I completed my original request for the King Bed when I called and made our initial reservation. I know that King Beds are very limited at Beach Club, so if that is your number one want I would make sure it is listed first before full balcony and high floor.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter