Looking for "cool" restaurant - have 8 yr old

mssbass

Earning My Ears
We will be at the following parks in 2 weeks: MK, AK, MGM & Seaworld - My daughter and I will probably be eating lunch at each location, possibly dinner - what's a place she and I would remember (great views?, good food?) - not really concerned about price. The Sci-Fi Dine In Theatre looks cool at MGM - what about the rainforest cafe? - Where should we plan to eat and does anyone take reservations for priority seating besides the shark underwater grill in SeaWorld? :bounce:

Both of my boys (9 and 5) love the Sci Fi in MGM. We usually eat lunch there, because the menu is better than dinner. The atmosphere is really cool...and they have great milkshakes too! LOL

My boys also really like Teppanyaki at Epcot (Japan), but they both like oriental cuisine. It's a really fun experience, where they do the "chop chop" show at your table. The kids loved it!!

Another favorite is Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary. It's a buffet with characters, and lots of fun. We do dinner there, and I think the food is pretty good!

Both of those places take PS's and I highly recommend it. We've never done the Rainforest, but I hear it is fun. I figure that since it's a chain, we'd probably get to one at sometime, either in Philadelphia or wherever. No big push for us to eat at the one in Disney.

Whatever you decide, have a great trip!!

I have a ds that is turning 8 right before our March trip! Some of the restaurants we have planned are: Sci Fi(L), 50's Prime Time(L), Chef Mickey's(L),WCC(D), Kona(B), HDDR(D), LTT(L), Donalds Breakfastasaurus(B),Trails End(D), Rose&Crown(D), and LeCellier(L)! :Pinkbounc :banana: pirate:

Sorry, I meant Chef Mickey's(B)! :Pinkbounc I also agree that you should probably make Ps's at the restaurants you really don't want to miss! :Pinkbounc

DS's favorites are Chef Mickey's, Donalds Breakfastsaurus, and Beirgarten. he gets a kick out of buffets, he likes to eat as soon as we get there. I know DS would like Sci Fi but we don't have the time to eat there this trip.

I have to agree w/ a previous poster on the Rainforest Cafe. I personally do not think it is anything special. We have been to one several times in NJ and DS wasn't at all impressed, he was more impressed w/ the gift shop in the front.

My kids thought that the prime time was fun because their dad(me) was getting treated like a kid, they put a bib on me, and all that motherly stuff. They got a kick out of seeing dad treated like a kid, but in a fun way.

CHef Mickey's is cool. Skip Rainfrest Cafe. I'm not a big fan of their food at all. I've been in VA and NJ and wouldn't waste my time going to the one at WDW.

I'm glad to see the recommendations for Ohana, that's scheduled for us along with Sci-Fi and San Angel Inn (Mexico) for our April trip. My DD is also 8 and I also have a 5YO DS.

I'll be trying Primetime next week with some women friends, may add that to the itinerary or switch it out with Sci-Fi. I still think SciFi is better for us, the DS will love the sitting in cars part.

My 3 guys have some favorites: Whispering Canyon Cafe for all of its adventures, O"hanas for its coconut races and Lilo/Stitch feelings and all-you-can-eat-shrimp, Bomas for the food, and Sci-Fi for its atmosphere. This lunch was sooooo relaxing and quiet. My husband and I sat in the back of the car and enjoyed what felt like a private lunch. Also, we enjoyed the first seating of breakfast at Donald's Breakfastsaurus (they serve Krispy Kremes!) because the timing was perfect that when we finished breakfast it was as the park opened and we had the Dinosaur themed rides all to ourselves as well as the Asian area rides. I think the opening crowds had headed to the African lands.

I hope this helps!

My guys are a little older now, but they've had the same favorites for years. They love Sci Fi, Donald's Breakfastosaurus, and yes, they also love Rainforest Cafe. We don't have any around here, and we usually eat there our first night at WDW, so they associate it with Disney. I tried dropping RFC off the list this last trip since I wasn't sure we'd be going to DTD, but I had a mutiny on my hands when I suggested not going! :rolleyes:

They also loved eating lunch at CRT. There aren't any princesses at lunch, and they thought eating in the castle was cool.

The one place they didn't like that I thought they would was 'Ohana. I knew they were too old for the games there, but they didn't even like the food, which was the big shocker because they're both huge meat-eaters.

We (including our 8 year old) LOVE Sharks at SeaWorld - we ALWAYS make a PS well in advance.

My 8 yo really liked the Sci-Fi last week and wanted to go back. They had hotdogs & macaroni & cheese which was tasty.
We had Reuben sandwhich and soup - both were very good, also.

We ate at Chef Mickeys, too. DD5 loved it. DD8 just enjoyed it but didn't think it was the end-all-be-all. She did enjoy the food!

She also has enjoyed watching the its a small world boats go by from Pinnochio's Village Haus in MK.

Rainforest Cafe was like eating at Bennigans for her.

My favorite...most memorable restaurant in MK is Cinderella!!!! My friends and I went last year and the atmosphere is great. When you go in, it is just a large room to wait in. When your name is called they ring these chimes and then you go upstairs and eat. It's great if you get a window seat!!! Also, we tried to get character autographs/pics all week. We had just been to Ariel's Grotto and when we went into the castle..Mary Poppins(her penguin) and Snow White was there. It was awesome!!! :sunny: Also, 50's Prime Time is fun in MGM

CRT is great, especially for a girl. I took my sister-in-law, my husband's 72 yr. old, dh and myself there and we enjoyed it. Great beef barley soup and prime rib.

Hollywood and Vine is great too. One of the better buffets. Chef Mickey is ok. I loved Jiko plus it gives you a chance to walk around the hotel, the trail and see the animals. Great margaritas, too!!! LOL

Coral Seas in Epcot was similar to the one in seaworld and better, I think. I ate at the one in Seaworld and I couldn't eat the scallops, they were hardly cooked and rubbery. Never had that experience in Epcot.

Prime Time Cafe was neat too because the kids love the way the grownups are treated and they are usually the ones appointed at the table to tattle on someone who has their elbows on the table, is talking with their mouth full and not eating their veggies.

And as my son just said (he is 12), 'I LOVE THEM ALL."

A really neat experience to try out is to do the SAS Tour at Epcot. You don't have to be certified in Scuba but you do get to go into those tanks that you see everyone looking at with all the fish, and have everyone gawking at you. My husband and son did it and loved it. It stands for Scuba assisted snorkel and you must do reservations. Kind of neat and they give you a T-shirt also.

I would among our DD's favorite restaurants are Rainforest Cafe and Chef Mickey's. OUr favortie at MGM is Brown Derby and DD has never said "not there" when we've decided to go. As far as Seaworld, the restaurant by the Sharks is really cool. We've never eaten a meal there or sat in the restaurant, we prefer to sit at the bar - which is horizontal mini aquarium - very neat to look "down " at.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter