Looking for a new dessert..

This is a great, easy recipe for bar dessert. You can swap out the raspberry jam for any flavor jam. I have used fig, orange, apricot, strawberry, etc.

I make mine in my KitchenAid mixer.

MJ

This one may just be what I go with.

If I had my way, this would be my choice. But, my mom is a 50s housewife and this just would not do.

This is not an exaggeration, I did not eat a Twinkie or any prepackaged dessert of any kind until I lived on my own (minus being a guest in someone’s home).

If I had my way, this would be my choice. But, my mom is a 50s housewife and this just would not do.

This is not an exaggeration, I did not eat a Twinkie or any prepackaged dessert of any kind until I lived on my own (minus being a guest in someone’s home).
The new Twinkies suck anyway. Good luck figuring out what you're gonna make. I was going to recommend Strawberry Shortcake but I don't know if that's something you and your group would like.

I hope you enjoy it!! It will not really look "browned" so don't over bake. I measure out about 2 cups of mixture into the pan, spread the jam, then add the rest of the mixture on top.

MJ

I was going to suggest lemon blueberry cake when I read the title.

https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/lemon-blueberry-layer-cake/

It’s actually a subtle lemon flavor.

But I like the peach cobbler idea. I have a written recipe somewhere to make it from scratch with fresh peaches. Usually I would make it late summer though.

Wow, I just read the recipe and it looks and sounds delicious!!! Think I am going to make this for my Mother's Day Brunch!!

MJ

Wow, I just read the recipe and it looks and sounds delicious!!! Think I am going to make this for my Mother's Day Brunch!!

MJ

It’s pretty indulgent. But not too rich to eat more than a couple bites.

Another recipe I’ve tried that is perfect for brunch is blueberry scones with lemon glaze. So good! You could half the glaze per the comments and make to taste.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/blueberry-scones-with-lemon-glaze-recipe-1914780

I agree with all of the suggestions for trifle. That's my plan for this year. Haven't quite settled on the exact one yet, but the strawberry pound cake upthread gave me some new ideas.

I agree with all of the suggestions for trifle. That's my plan for this year. Haven't quite settled on the exact one yet, but the strawberry pound cake upthread gave me some new ideas.
I like trifle, but sometimes there's too much whipped cream for me.

It's super easy to make a strawberry cream cake, which I prefer.

Just bake a boxed vanilla cake mix or two, depending on how many layers you want. Slice strawberries lengthwise. (We have plenty available now that look great, just bought some last night and was thinking of doing one of these cakes myself, too.) Cover layers w whipped cream, then layer the strawberries (and can use blueberries too if you want) going across, and repeat all the way up. Save the best strawberries for decorating the top.

Always a big hit! :lovestruc

Just bake a boxed vanilla cake mix or two, depending on how many layers you want. Slice strawberries lengthwise. (We have plenty available now that look great, just bought some last night and was thinking of doing one of these cakes myself, too.) Cover layers w whipped cream, then layer the strawberries (and can use blueberries too if you want) going across, and repeat all the way up. Save the best strawberries for decorating the top.

Too much whipped cream?!?! Impossible. Nevermind what my backside says.

Strawberry cream cake sounds wonderful. I generally don't use boxed cake mixes if I'm serving my mom just because she can be a little quirky about stuff like that. She really appreciates the full-on, homemade effort. For something like Mother's Day I really try to rise to the occasion to make her feel more fussed over.

Too much whipped cream?!?! Impossible. Nevermind what my backside says.

Strawberry cream cake sounds wonderful. I generally don't use boxed cake mixes if I'm serving my mom just because she can be a little quirky about stuff like that. She really appreciates the full-on, homemade effort. For something like Mother's Day I really try to rise to the occasion to make her feel more fussed over.
I hear ya, but to me, that is still quite a bit of effort, and would likely taste better than a scratch cake from me. Many bakeries’ cakes come from mixes for consistency.

http://www.cakeboss.com/Cake-Stuff/cakeboss-asks-mix-or-scratch

I hear ya, but to me, that is still quite a bit of effort, and would likely taste better than a scratch cake from me. Many bakeries’ cakes come from mixes for consistency.

I agree and will go that route for a lot of occasions. It's tricky with my mom because I've taken over the mantle of doing all of the holidays for the family from her. She rarely cut corners even for a dinner on an average Tuesday night. I feel immense pressure to pull out the stops, especially on Mother's Day when it's such a small group. I have incorporated some boxed cake mixes into the dessert table for larger holidays with larger crowds.

Years back before my dad died my parents had tasted the pumpkin pie at Costco and liked it enough that she actually stopped making it for Thanksgiving and served the Costco pie on the dessert table. I had to pick my bottom jaw up off the ground. This kind of stuff is a huge deal with her so I feel obligated to make the effort, especially on Mother's Day.

I agree and will go that route for a lot of occasions. It's tricky with my mom because I've taken over the mantle of doing all of the holidays for the family from her. She rarely cut corners even for a dinner on an average Tuesday night. I feel immense pressure to pull out the stops, especially on Mother's Day when it's such a small group. I have incorporated some boxed cake mixes into the dessert table for larger holidays with larger crowds.

Years back before my dad died my parents had tasted the pumpkin pie at Costco and liked it enough that she actually stopped making it for Thanksgiving and served the Costco pie on the dessert table. I had to pick my bottom jaw up off the ground. This kind of stuff is a huge deal with her so I feel obligated to make the effort, especially on Mother's Day.
Oh, I get it! I’m just saying that people don’t even realize that even bakeries use cake mixes! Next time you go in one, take a look out back and you’ll see huge bags stacked up along the walls. Many of those are mixes. It’s standard in the industry, save for a few who actually do bake from scratch. Mixes get a bad rap, but usually they perform better than scratch ingredients because they’ve been perfected for a long time. They also help streamline the baking process. If a bakery is a chain, you should be able to go into any of their stores and buy a cake and it should look and taste the same in each one. Sometimes cooks and bakers “add a little of this and a little of that” or change things around a bit and that causes inconsistency. Mixes help keep things the same, so the customer knows what they’re getting each time and can rely on that for repeat business, etc.

Not sure where you live, but we had snow yesterday lol
We don’t have anything close to good strawberries yet. Yes, they’re imported, but they’re still very hit and miss right now.
Thank you for the recipe suggestion, though (this sounds really snarky but it isn’t)

Another vote for Banana Pudding, just google Magnolia Banana Pudding, Always a hit at potluck or large dinners.

MJ

My son made this cake a few weeks ago. Didn't look as perfect as the picture but tasted good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter