London / Paris Here We Come!!! 9/2 - 9/10/11

This time next week I will be watching "Impressions de France." Then the next Friday eating @ Les Chefs!

IMG_9794.jpg

IMG_9805.jpg

I cannot even believe I am saying this but...I'm going to London (and Paris)!!!!!:banana:

My husband and I always thought we would do this kind of traveling after our kids were out of the house. Well, there's nothing like getting slapped in the face with your own mortality to make you reevaluate your priorities. Suffice it to say I'm no longer as concerned about going by the book and making sure that we're scrimping and saving for retirement bliss. You just never know. And it will be amazing to have more than just a weekend away with my husband. He would say that these revelations are getting expensive, since I used this same argument to convince him to finally book a Disney cruise for the family (less than a month until that!) :rolleyes1

We have a longstanding argument about where we'd go when we finally travel with me wanting to visit London and him wanting Paris. :confused3When Pete made his announcement awhile back, the thought of them both, and with Disneyland Paris thrown in, was just too much to resist.:thumbsup2 So after getting our youngest started in kindergarten the week before we leave, we will be joining you all on this trip. To say we're excited is an understatement!!! I can't wait to meet you all!! And Kevin, thanks for answering all of my questions and please add us to the participant list!:worship:

Laurie

I cannot even believe I am saying this but...I'm going to London (and Paris)!!!!!:banana:

My husband and I always thought we would do this kind of traveling after our kids were out of the house. Well, there's nothing like getting slapped in the face with your own mortality to make you reevaluate your priorities. Suffice it to say I'm no longer as concerned about going by the book and making sure that we're scrimping and saving for retirement bliss. You just never know. And it will be amazing to have more than just a weekend away with my husband. He would say that these revelations are getting expensive, since I used this same argument to convince him to finally book a Disney cruise for the family (less than a month until that!) :rolleyes1

We have a longstanding argument about where we'd go when we finally travel with me wanting to visit London and him wanting Paris. :confused3When Pete made his announcement awhile back, the thought of them both, and with Disneyland Paris thrown in, was just too much to resist.:thumbsup2 So after getting our youngest started in kindergarten the week before we leave, we will be joining you all on this trip. To say we're excited is an understatement!!! I can't wait to meet you all!! And Kevin, thanks for answering all of my questions and please add us to the participant list!:worship:

Laurie
Congrats, Laurie, and welcome to the Club! :woohoo: I totally get what you're saying about "You just never know". You don't want to be totally irresponsible about the future, but you don't want to ignore the present, either. I want to travel while I can, because you just never know. A wise doctor of mine said "No one wants to be reminded of their vulnerability". But when you are, it does put a lot of stuff in a different light.

Oh, and by the way, WE'RE GOING TO LONDON AND PARIS!!!!!! :yay:

Sayhello

Laurie

Laurie,

Welcome to the group. And a fine group it is.

My DW (Cathy) and I agree with your philosophy, we had talked about returning to Europe to see London and Paris for years, and something always made us say "Next year....."

Well, now getting our documents this morning from ABD, we are on aboard, next year is the year!

Laurie

Laurie and Brian are now "sur la liste" (on the list)

Bienvenue Laurie and Brian!!!!!!

Kevin, do we need to get the ABD paperwork back in the 14 days as mentioned in the ABD packet?

Kevin, do we need to get the ABD paperwork back in the 14 days as mentioned in the ABD packet?

ABD would like you to complete the travel agreement and return it, but you will not lose your spot or deposit if you do not meet the 14 day deadline.

You dont need to worry about this.:thumbsup2

Thanks for the warm welcome!:) I haven't traveled abroad in more than 25 years and we usually drive when traveling in the US, so I'd like some advice from some of you more experienced travelers about luggage/packing. I know I've got about 9 months, but I was thinking of getting some luggage for my husband for Christmas. How much luggage would you typically need for a trip like this? What size suitcase do you recommend when traveling? It would be nice to have everything in one suitcase but the 28-29 inch ones look so large and I was concerned it would put me over the weight limit. I was also surprised when looking yesterday by the huge variety in price. There were some suitcases that were $300 for a single suitcase (and that was 50% off), while others were around a hundred and some where you get 4 pieces for about the same price. Is there really that big of a difference in the brands? Any brands to avoid or brad preferences? I know I've heard Pete mention Travelpro on the podcast. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Laurie

Laurie,

I believe that ABD limits you to one full size suitcase a person, plus your carry on.

When we were on ADB Backstage last spring, we had also extended our trip by four days so with souvenirs the "over weight" issue for a single suitcase a piece became important. Thank the stars for FEDEX for the souvenirs!

Frank

ABD does request that you keep it to one suitcase and one carry on per person.

As there are some of us that might want to shop....<cough cough>....while in London and Paris, you might want to consider packing a lightweight duffel bag.

Others have packed a smaller suitcase inside a larger suitcase.

When we were in Italy, we purchased some larger items (pottery and such) and had everything shipped home. It was worth the additional cost to not have to worry about getting these things home on a plane.

Something else to keep in mind....if you plan on shipping things directly from the vendor, we were told that it was best to use a credit card that insured your purchases.

As far as luggage is concerned, we have found that "4 pieces for one low price" sets usually dont last long. They are rarely a bargain. They also usually include a piece or two that you probably wont use.

We have had good luck with a Victorinox (Swiss Army) suitcase we found in Target.

There is something else I need to share....

ABD keeps reminding me that I should tell everyone that there passports must be valid for a minimum of six months past your return home date.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

I have started listening to some of the Rick Steves in Paris podcast series available on iTunes. I found the episodes on French culture and dining to be particularly interesting. For example, they discuss restraunt service being slow as a sign of good service as a part of their culture.

ABD would like you to complete the travel agreement and return it, but you will not lose your spot or deposit if you do not meet the 14 day deadline.

You dont need to worry about this.:thumbsup2

This is great news. My mom and I are at Disney until the 15th.
Kevin you can add my mom Kaye to the list!!

We're going to Paris!!!!

Karen

Merci beaucoup!!!! Heading to France in Epcot this morning, maybe check out some French perfume or wine :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter