• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

London / Paris Here We Come!!! 9/2 - 9/10/11

Today's French Lesson

Monday - Lundi
Tuesday - Mardi
Wednesday - Mercredi
Thursday - Jeudi
Friday - Vendredi
Saturday - Samedi
Sunday - Dimanche

Today - Aujoud'hui
Yesterday - Hier
Tomorrow - Demain

Connection
Fries
Toast
Kiss
Mustard

Thanks for the warm welcome!:) I haven't traveled abroad in more than 25 years and we usually drive when traveling in the US, so I'd like some advice from some of you more experienced travelers about luggage/packing. I know I've got about 9 months, but I was thinking of getting some luggage for my husband for Christmas. How much luggage would you typically need for a trip like this? What size suitcase do you recommend when traveling? It would be nice to have everything in one suitcase but the 28-29 inch ones look so large and I was concerned it would put me over the weight limit. I was also surprised when looking yesterday by the huge variety in price. There were some suitcases that were $300 for a single suitcase (and that was 50% off), while others were around a hundred and some where you get 4 pieces for about the same price. Is there really that big of a difference in the brands? Any brands to avoid or brad preferences? I know I've heard Pete mention Travelpro on the podcast. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Laurie
Personally, I think you have to balance cost with things like how much the pieces weigh (there's some great lightweight stuff out there) plus sturdiness (I don't expect my luggage to last forever, but I want it to last for a few trips!) And I find how I'm going to use it makes a difference, too. I bought a Rick Steves carryon that fits an amazing amount of stuff in a carryon, and is smooshable (no rigidity to the "lid") enough to fit in most overheads. But if I plan on living out of the carryon due to no closets, etc (like if I'm staying with family in my nephew's room) this one is no good, because the top won't stay open. (It's all floppy). So think about things like that. If you're just going to unpack everything in the hotel room, it doesn't matter.

Another thing about "how many bags to pack" is the fact that if all your stuff for both of you is packed in one suitcase, and the airline loses or delays it, that's all your stuff. If you each check a smaller suitcase, put some of your stuff in his suitcase, and some of his stuff in your suitcase, and that way, you both have stuff even if you're minus one suitcase. Plus, it is *REALLY* easy to come close to the weight limit. I have a medium-sized suitcase that I check, and when I did the Med cruise, it came horrifically close to being overweight (I had a trip to Israel scheduled for after the cruise, also). Smaller is definitely better. The extra charge for another checked bag is way, WAY less than the charge for an overweight bag. I definitely recommend one medium-sized checked bag per person, plus a decent-sized carryon each. Remember, on most airlines, you each are allowed a carryon *plus* a personal item, such as a purse or a laptop bag. Make sure you check the requirements for the airline you book with, as each airline *does* have different rules.

Plus, if you have a choice, don't buy black luggage. It seems 95% of the world has black luggage. Something in a distinctive color will help you spot your suitcase much more easily.

Sayhello

Are you planning to do a meet somewhere? I'd love to meet you all as I live so close! If you are planning one in Disneyland Paris I *might* be able to make it there either!

(I really want to hold a meet, as currently it is looking like a long time until my next visit to Florida!)

Whilst attempting to catch up on the DIS, reading this thread backwards :P

I'm definately up for this!! DEFINATELY!!! *Starts saving up for Paris*

I am trying to think of English phrases or sayings that you may not be familiar with. However if you have programmes like Top Gear and Gordon Ramsay in the US, you should be ok! :lmao:

I am trying to think of English phrases or sayings that you may not be familiar with. However if you have programmes like Top Gear and Gordon Ramsay in the US, you should be ok! :lmao:

Gordon Ramsay has some colorful expresssions.

He uses one that makes John and I laugh.

He says "you make my ______ (insert scatological expression here) itch."

Thanks for the luggage advice! I think I'll look for a 24 or 25 inch suitcase. It looks like many of the nicer ones are expandable, so that will help with room for all of the stuff I plan to bring back with me. And thanks for the reminder about passport expiration dates! I just checked ours because I knew they expired in September, but it's 2012 not 2011.

Laurie

Oh, wow - I really need to start learning some French! I'm in Ohio, too, and I can't believe how cold it is today!:eek:

Laurie

Oh, wow - I really need to start learning some French! I'm in Ohio, too, and I can't believe how cold it is today!:eek:

Laurie
So do I! Believe me, I'm not learning anything yet. This is all from Babelfish! :rotfl:

It is SO COLD in Ohio. I am SO not a fan of winter! It's only just started, and I'm already ready for it to be over! 21F with a windchill of 7F is just INHUMAN!

Sayhello

Okay, where in OH are you? We are in OH too! :)

Oh, and WE ARE GOING TO PARIS!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter