Loading and unloading personal golf carts at FW

Ntocamping

Earning My Ears
We will be bringing our golf cart to The Fort next year when we visit. It will be in the bed of our pickup. Does FW have ramps to assist in unloading and loading personal golf carts. We visit Ocean Lakes in Myrtle beach every year and they have a great ramp for guests to use. Tks

I have never seen a ramp there. When we arrive at the Fort they instruct us to pull in to the overflow lot to unload our golf cart. It is just a flat parking lot. Im sure you will have to bring your own ramps to unload.

You could just pull onto the unhitch drive as you head for your site if the site is ready for you. There is also a turn off on the way out to load up. As mentioned, you supply the ramps.

Are there any hills/inclines. I will need some long ramps to safely get it off my f250 if unloading on completely level ground. I would like tom back up to a bank if possible. Tks

There is a hill that people use.

Once you drive into the Fort and get past the checkin area you will pass the big bus stop (The Outpost Station) and drive by the barn/corral area where they give horse rides (both the corral and bus stop are on the right).

Driving past those and further up on right you will come to a small service road that goes back to the Fort's shed/shop area. Signs are posted for guests not to enter but the Fort lets us use the nearby hill. There is a hill running about 6-8 feet high parallel to the main road that is covered in grass (I think it was built when the Fort was new to block the view back into the shed/shop area). It is on either side of the service road. If you drive up to the road on the left that goes down through the cabin loops, you've gone too far. You only have to drive 10-20 yards on the service road before you get to the hill.

People pull off to the side of the service road and use a portion of the hill in the grass to back their cart off of, say, a pickup truck bed. The slope of it isn't bad and although I've never seen it done, people have posted here in the past about using this hill for that purpose.

Bama ED

There is a hill that people use.

Once you drive into the Fort and get past the checkin area you will pass the big bus stop (The Outpost Station) and drive by the barn/corral area where they give horse rides (both the corral and bus stop are on the right).

Driving past those and further up on right you will come to a small service road that goes back to the Fort's shed/shop area. Signs are posted for guests not to enter but the Fort lets us use the nearby hill. There is a hill running about 6-8 feet high parallel to the main road that is covered in grass (I think it was built when the Fort was new to block the view back into the shed/shop area). It is on either side of the service road. If you drive up to the road on the left that goes down through the cabin loops, you've gone too far. You only have to drive 10-20 yards on the service road before you get to the hill.

People pull off to the side of the service road and use a portion of the hill in the grass to back their cart off of, say, a pickup truck bed. The slope of it isn't bad and although I've never seen it done, people have posted here in the past about using this hill for that purpose.

Bama ED

Thank you very much. This is a big help.

There is a hill that people use......Signs are posted for guests not to enter but the Fort lets us use the nearby hill.....

Don't worry about breaking rules. It's a long running tradition with golf carts. :lmao:

bama_Ed - thanks for that info. It will sure be helpful if we ever get a golf cart, still looking for one. I was worried about driving it up/down ramps into the truck.

Good luck with your search BigBlock.

On reflection that hill (more like a berm) may not be as high as I described - it may be more like 4 feet. I'll check it out next time I am there in late spring and I'll try to snap a reference picture.

Bama ED

Good luck with your search BigBlock.

On reflection that hill (more like a berm) may not be as high as I described - it may be more like 4 feet. I'll check it out next time I am there in late spring and I'll try to snap a reference picture.

Bama ED

That would be great but a 4' berm is just fine. My 5' aps will lay much flatter on anything that is elevated and 4' is perfect. Tks

The place you guys are talking about has been closed off. I will be going down in a couple weeks and will give you information that i find. We have a GMC 2500 and I purchased some ramps from Tractor Supply that work good, but would prefer not to have it as steep.

Will let you know what i find out when i get there.

There is a gully by the overflow overflow lot that people have been using right off the road past the back/bus entrance, that I have seen people use. Like said before, berm by service road has been fenced off a couple years ago.

The place you guys are talking about has been closed off. I will be going down in a couple weeks and will give you information that i find. We have a GMC 2500 and I purchased some ramps from Tractor Supply that work good, but would prefer not to have it as steep.

Will let you know what i find out when i get there.

Well that's what happens when you bump a thread that is several years old. Conditions change. C'est la vie.

Michael, welcome to the DIS Camping Board. :welcome: :disrocks: Let us know (in a different thread please) when you'll be at the Fort, etc.

Bama Ed

Yes quite a few things have changed since 2012, a fence was put up around the small hill Bama ed is talking about, a CM told me too many people were coming on the service road to unload. From what I understand the new policy is that you have to unload your cart either at your own site, the overflow lot or on the pavement at the hitch/ unhitch area. You are no longer allowed to find a place off road to unload your cart, from what I was told by a Ranger it is an insurance issue. If the Fort were to offer any type of ramp/hill/ditch or anything off road they would be liable for any accident that might happen to someone unloading a cart. I believe him as it is that kind of world especially at Disney where (almost) everyone wants something for nothing. So for anyone who is bringing a private cart prepare to bring everything necessary to load and unload on a flat paved surface. Just my 2 cents worth for what that is worth.

Oh boy! Somebody cast a raise dead spell! Man...sure is spooky in here.

Arched ramps aren't that expensive and they fit nicely on either side of the cart in the back of the truck.

Now, somebody get me a torch. I'm gonna see if this tomb has any valuables.

Does FW have ramps to assist in unloading and loading personal golf carts.

1) We used to have a ramp at the hook/unhook area on the main drive inside The Fort.
2) A couple of people (allegedly "under the influence") drove OFF the ramp while unloading a pickup truck.
3) They crashed their golf carts.
4) I do not know if they injured themselves.
5) Legal Department then had The Fort remove the load/unload ramp due to liability.

NOTE: Best bet is to buy your own portable ramps and use them for your pickup.

Hey! I found Jimmy Hoffa!

Wait...hang on. Sorry, the carving on the headstone actually says "Hernando de Soto". Sorry, this torch really isn't that good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter