Living at DW

Degli

DIS Veteran
My dd wants to live at WDW. What little girl doesn't? So I figure the closest thing we could do to get a home there would be to buy at DVC. How should we convince her father to consider a membership? Hey, I know, Valentines Day is closely approaching. What does everyone think? :cool1: :jumping2: :love1: :bride: :boat: :lovestruc

Hey, whatever works!!!!

My first DVC contract was the gift I picked for my DH is give to me for carrying and giving birth to his second child!! Don't think he could say no to me at that time.

:love2:

I rented points on our vacation last month, my dh loved the accomodations so much that after five years of begging, he caved!! I have to agree with "sleepy" though, how could her husband refuse after that? I only ever got flowers. . .

Mousefansmom

QUOTE]Originally posted by Degli
My dd wants to live at WDW. What little girl doesn't? So I figure the closest thing we could do to get a home there would be to buy at DVC. How should we convince her father to consider a membership? Hey, I know, Valentines Day is closely approaching. What does everyone think? :cool1: :jumping2: :love1: :bride: :boat: :lovestruc [/QUOTE]

just think of all the sports stats most guys hold in their heads - worthless most of the time but useful for having a conversation with other guys...

But really, being a finance wonk by training, nothing convinced me faster than running the numbers. Doing my present value calculation, my breakeven period came out to about 5 yrs if paying cash, about 7-8 yrs with financing (depending on term). That was compared to the Moderate resorts or the deluxe resorts on sale (which as a cheap Mainer was about as expensive as I would allow most years). In our case, we have a DS who is wheelchair bound, which makes WDW the most convenient vacation spot to go (warm and totally handicap freindly), and means that we're going once a year in all likelihood. Notably, with banking and borrowing, all you really need to break even is to go once every three years (so you don't have points expire unused). An added advantage is that you can save on Park Admission by doing as so many DVC members do, and buying APs on one visit and doing next year's visit 11 months later (or within the same 12 month period); that savings takes a nice chunk out of annual maintenence fees, if you are doing an honest accounting.

Let him run the numbers, if he is a numbers guy. Just make sure he does an advantageous comparison, like comparing to rack rate at the deluxe resorts, if you want to be persuasive. As a discount rate, I figure the real cost of money in most households is the home mortgage rate.

Good luck with your persuading.

I agree with Pumpkinboy. Along with that, I sat down beforehand and made a list of reasons why we should buy. DH said that showed I'd really thought about it and that's why he bought (well, the tears helped too).

Originally posted by mousefansmom
I only ever got flowers. . .
Uh oh... :eek: I just bought my wife flowers, candy, and a baloon. I hope I am not in the dog house. :scared1:

I should have known better, and bought her an add-on! ;)

MG

I agree...special celebrations are a good time to get a "yes!" We got our DVC membership as our 25th wedding anniversary gift to ourselves last summer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter