Live TR ~ 9/7-9/17

kcp1377

Mouseketeer
I'm not sure if this is ok or not, but I wanted to get my TR started before we actually leave. :) I love following along with TRs that are taking place as they post, so I hope everyone will enjoy this!

So we have 1 week before we leave for Disney! This will be our 2nd time at the Fort (but have been to Disney before that but stayed at other resorts!)

Right now we're getting everything packed up in the RV. We traded our pop-up in this summer and bought a 29' Bullet with a bunkhouse for the kids. While we adored our pop-up it was just getting small with the addition of our newest little boy. We took it to Montauk (Hither Hills) this past May with all of us and while we all fit while sleeping, we were lucky it didn't rain very much because we would have gone stir crazy in there! So this will be our first major trip with the RV. We have done long weekends in it and hopefully all the bugs have shown themselves (we had a leak about a month ago but other than that seems pretty good - knock on wood!)

The kids are super excited to leave, although we've been fibbing about when we actually go because if the official countdown starts they would go nuts. So all we've told them is that we leave sometime around DS1's birthday (the 14th). We have most of the clothing packed up and the only major things we have left to pack are the foodstuffs and my camera gear. Not bad for a week out. I picked up a Pelican case for the gear (which I can use on my kayak after the trip) so I'm just waiting for that and then we'll be good to go!

I have packed up little bags for the kids for the car since we're driving straight through. The bags have their water bottles, snacks, clipboards, games I printed from the internet like car trip Bingo, Eye-Spy and Battleship). The winners of the games will get little prizes that I got from the dollar section at Target. Let's hope that doesn't cause more fights. ;)

So I think we're just about ready and starting to gear up mentally. Traveling with 6 kids under 7 for 28 hours is always interesting (it's really 24 hours from our house to Disney, but we have to stop quite a bit during the daytime hours). Thankfully they are used to traveling. We drive straight through because the nighttime hours are when we make the best time. I can't drive the beast with the RV, so DH takes the wheel the entire time. We may look for someplace to stop for a few hours around the bottom of South Carolina, just to give DH a nap while I run around with the kids. We're leaving at 2am, so if we drive for 16-18 hours that would put us at a good time to stop.

Here's a picture of the beast... DH nicknamed the van "White Lightning". Haha!
blogger-image--1931345541.jpg

The preparation for the trip is "almost" as much fun as beginning the trip.

A TR is "almost" as much fun as being on the trip with you.

Thank you for sharing.

popcorn::

I'm in! Hope you've got your photobucket acct primed and will incude lots of pictures!

Do you guys do sing alongs while driving?

Our family of 5 girls + Parents took many road trips across Newfoundland growing up (pre-technology days! There was always some squabbling over who sat by a window or by who, but always a great trip!).

Lots of songs, but my least favourite was always my favourite "On top of spaghetti".... :sad:

Nice picture of your rig. I'm in too. popcorn::

Bama ED

Walkinginthefog - Nope, not much singing here! Ok, so maybe a little - things like the Little Nash Rambler, Contact by phish (one of our youngest DDs favorite songs), songs from Tangled... Pretty small request list. :) The kids watch movies much of the time and we try to travel most at night so they sleep. They're all great travelers though.

We're talking about leaving at 2am, driving for 17 hours to get through to GA, then stopping for the night. That would be awesome - and would mean we'd get to stop. I'll have to check out the campgrounds in that area.

Got the last of the shopping done before the trip. So now we're really all packed up. I'm so glad it's a holiday weekend because it means DH only has 3 work days next week before we leave! Woo-hoo!!

We are arriving Sat with our five kids and we homeschool, as well. Maybe we will see you there. I always love to meet other families with "above average" number of children. We recently traded in our pop up for a 26' TT. Our youngest three are adopted or soon to be and we just outgrew the pop up once they came to us. Have a great trip!!

That would be awesome Karen!! I'm on my phone so I can't see your siggy if you have one - how old are your kids? I'd love to get together!

That would be awesome Karen!! I'm on my phone so I can't see your siggy if you have one - how old are your kids? I'd love to get together!

We have a 24 yr old DS (married to a wonderful young lady), 16 yr old DD, 12 yr old DS, two 4 yr old DDs and a 3 yr old DD. We are foster parents and adopted the younger DD4 last year and will, hopefully, be adopting the other two before the end of the year.

It sounds like you have a beautiful family Karen! Do you have access to the boards when you're there? I can message you and maybe we could meet up at the pool sometime!

So now the biggest question is what camera equipment to bring... I've always brought a P&S and kick myself. So this time I want to bring some good prime lenses and a walkaround lens. I'm thinking of a 28-200 cheapy lens, but don't know if I'll really miss the wider angle (I usually carry a 16-35 for walkaound but then end up switching out lenses and I'd rather just bring one to the park).

It sounds like you have a beautiful family Karen! Do you have access to the boards when you're there? I can message you and maybe we could meet up at the pool sometime!

That would be great, Kim. I have the Disboards app on my iphone. I am assuming I can access messages through it. I would check, but my phone is MIA at this time. I suspect some little stinker has hijacked it, but they are asleep at the moment, so I can't interrogate them. We are planning on spending all day Sunday and Wednesday at the Fort and many an afternoon at the pool. I am getting really excited! I have wanted to go to the Fort for a long time.

Im in! Im addicted to live trip reports and I have always wanted to stay at the fort :) Let the party beginn! :D

blogger-image--465164595.jpg

Here's one of the sets of shirts I made for the kids. The black heads for the boys are made from flocked vinyl and the girls' are glitter vinyl cut with my silhouette. The backs are like this:

blogger-image--2132991895.jpg

I made a few other sets too (one for each day we're at the parks and another for signatures) but these are my favorites! (And pay no attention to the image quality - these are just quick iphone pics!) :)

So now the biggest question is what camera equipment to bring... I've always brought a P&S and kick myself. So this time I want to bring some good prime lenses and a walkaround lens. I'm thinking of a 28-200 cheapy lens, but don't know if I'll really miss the wider angle (I usually carry a 16-35 for walkaound but then end up switching out lenses and I'd rather just bring one to the park).

I take my 18-105 VR, and I use the wide angle a lot. I'd rather shoot wide and then crop later if I need to.

I'm definitely a wide angle shooter too. I wish I had a walkaround that started at 18mm or so... My widest walkaround is 24mm and I really do miss the extra mm more than I thought!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter