Live action reboots: why I dislike them

Discussion in 'Disney Movies, Books, TV and Music' started by old lady, Sep 19, 2018.

1. old lady

old lady DIS Veteran

Sometimes, I enjoy them and other .. well, not. I always get the impression that the people of Disney are rebooted their cartoons for people who don’t like seeing cartoons. They view them as childish, which is strange since most of the live action versions are similar to the animation counterparts.

2. BrianL

BrianL Doom Buggy Driver

I agree. I know people who simply don't watch animation. They just can't connect with it or whatever. Personally, I think animated film making is almost a higher form of art. It can be simple and complex a the same time and convey emotions and ideas that are difficult in live action. For me, when they make the live action version too close to the animated version (like exactly the same with Cinderella and Beauty and the Beast), I think they're just fine as movies, but why would I ever watch them again when the animated versions are available? I would rather they change them up a lot, like Maleficent did, and tell a new story.

3. GPC0321

GPC0321 DIS Veteran

I can understand this. I felt this way about the live action Charlotte's Web, and I still haven't watched it and never plan to. The animated one is just too dear to my heart.

I just came back from seeing Christopher Robin (finally), and I thought it was wonderful. But I think it works because it's not just taking an animated film and turning it into live action. It's telling its own story. There were only a few other people in the theater today, and they had young children with them. I can imagine those kids were bored to tears. Meanwhile, adults like me who grew up with Pooh and totally identify with a grown-up Christopher Robin finding the magic of childhood again were laughing and crying and thoroughly engrossed.

I enjoyed the live action Beauty and the Beast, and Dumbo looks cute too, but I could live without either one.