Line Cutting at Costco Rant, Long!

OP, sometimes you have to say something. Our society today just feels like too much with people pushing ahead. I think it's only going to get worse with our population continuing to grow. Everyone is entitled and in a rush. I have grown to hate driving because of this.
Back to Costco, I haven't shopped there but it's the same at BJ's. My other issue is when you are doing self checkout. I am a pretty fast, efficient person at the checkout. My issue is when I have paid and am frantically trying to toss the last of my order into my cart when the next shopper starts scanning their items and tossing them down the belt. I said something once and got verbally attacked. Everyone needs to chill.

You're not required to give way, but you ARE required to maintain a reasonable distance between your vehicle and the vehicle you're following. So practically speaking, you are required to "leave a hole".
LOL! You don't drive in New Jersey!

OP, the situation would've irritated me too - and I may or may not have said anything. Depends on my mood at the time most likely. Now as to the thead "derailment," try dealing with drivers in roundabouts. Oy. Our area has become a roundabout hotpot - their being put in EVERYWHERE, even on county highways. Most people do not understand how to navigate a roundabout. It's a yield people, not a stop sign (unless traffic is coming from your left!)

OP, the situation would've irritated me too - and I may or may not have said anything. Depends on my mood at the time most likely. Now as to the thead "derailment," try dealing with drivers in roundabouts. Oy. Our area has become a roundabout hotpot - their being put in EVERYWHERE, even on county highways. Most people do not understand how to navigate a roundabout. It's a yield people, not a stop sign (unless traffic is coming from your left!)

Roundabouts are going in here. I like them and have a few choice spots that I want another one.

My favorite is when they stop IN the roundabout... or even back up in it because they missed their turn. The dang thing goes in a circle. Just keep going!

It is a rainy Saturday here today so Costco was packed. Dh, myself and ds(16) did our shopping and waited in line for about 20 minutes to reach the cash. Great, but now we were faced with another very long line at the exit door where they check your receipt against your purchases (do they do that in the States as well?) So we got in line and after a few minutes of slowly inching forward I see this cart approaching me from my right side very casually until the man finds a gap between my cart and the person in front of it and suddenly he swerves and sticks his cart in that gap so that if I pushed my cart it would hit his. As the line was continually slightly moving within seconds half his cart was in. (Think heavy traffic on the highway where someone uses the empty exit lane and then cuts in at the top kind of thing.) Ds, being a typical teenager noticed and says out loud to me "I hate line cutters" to which he turns around to him and says in a very loud bullying voice "excuse me?" because he knew what he had done and when you cannot defend then go on the offense.

My dh is very mild mannered and avoids confrontations at all costs but watch out if he feels he has been wronged! Dh says to him in a fairly loud voice "well sir you just cut the line" and he had the nerve to say that he was already in front of us....yah by passing everyone on the right!!! It got ugly with myself joining in and using a few not so nice adjectives to describe him to his face, I admit not my best moment.

What I find interesting his female companion (wife?) stood there like a deer in the headlights and never said one word throughout the whole exchange in his defense. I guess she is used to his behaviour or is terrified of him.

The question is was the whole altercation worth it? I don't know. Many will say no you cannot change a jerk. I asked ds this and he said "well mom you cannot always be a pushover because you have to live with yourself. Maybe he'll remember what happened today the next time he does not want to wait in a line." Something tells me with a bully like that, that is wishful thinking!
I don't think I would have gotten into a verbal altercation with the man though I understand passions can run high at times (I've been like that a time or two even though I know I really shouldn't have). The wife standing there could be explained by another way too. Of course it's possible that his demeanor towards you is the same at home but it could also be she's just caught off guard or that she doesn't want to get involved. It's actually rare that both my husband and I would chime in on something like this. Usually it's just one or the other who would even comment.

This happens here in the states. It's called entitlement. People think that they're above the norms for whatever reason. Costco, BJ's, Sam's Club, all the same, they all check your receipt against your cart. There's just those people that think the line doesn't apply to them. The altercation may not be worth it, but at the same time, it's going to show these idiots that you're not going to let it happen quietly.

Some of the worst cases that we have in the states of this are the people that see a lane on a highway is going to be closed in "X" distance. Well, instead of merging over and getting in the long line of cars, they'll speed all the way up to where the road crew has the cones and direction arrow pushing directing you to the other lane and try and merge in. Sure, you have those that will let that person in, but you also have a lot more that ride the bumper of the car in front of them and the guy winds up sitting there, getting angrier by the second, starts motioning, making the car jump like they'll hit you, honking their horn, etc.

We also have issues with people just merging on ramps. There's a bunch that do understand how to merge, but I'm convinced there's more that don't. I mean, the yellow Yield sign is on the ramp lane for a reason. People just think that if there's no room in 2 lanes full of traffic that is at highway speed, they'll just bull their way into line. I've had more than a few times that I was stuck in the slow lane going past a merge point with someone flipping me off because I couldn't and wouldn't let them in... when they're supposed to yield and stop if traffic conditions don't allow for them to enter. I just keep going and they'll ride the shoulder eventually getting in behind as the road runs out and I'm not going to give.
The zipper method is something newer to me at least (last couple of years I would say). It is something only every now and then when a construction project (because lord knows construction is always going on the highways in my metro) hits a particular part have they lately (I feel like that last year or two) really stressed doing the zipper method. It can be hard to do it rather than "wait your turn" (as I describe it) way if it's newer to you. I hear ya on the frustrations of the method but that is the way they are pushing for now (I realize other areas that's been that way for a while but to my knowledge it's a newer-ish thing).

Never go to Costco on Saturday!
Or during lunch or on Sunday but yes most def. if you're going on a Saturday (around here even at opening) put on your "I will have patience" face.

How long does it take your people to check receipts? In our Costco, they glance at the receipt, glance at the cart, and then mark the receipt. 30 seconds tops. So, at least in our Costco, the guy cutting in front would have cost me 30 seconds. Not enough to get upset about.

I am confused. Rather than being passive aggressive and talking loudly amongst yourselves about how you "hate line cutters" and then escalating an argument, why didn't you just politely say to him "Excuse me sir, I am not sure you are aware, but the end of the line is back there?" You could have given him an out to save face and go to the end of the line. Passive aggressiveness does usually put the other person on the defensive and will escalate tensions as you witnessed.
I would have probably done what you did. Now in the OP's case I'm not honestly sure you could really be confused as you had to pass by people in line with their carts so the person likely knew exactly what they were doing. But that person would then have two choices once called out in a reasonable way: 1) Go immediately to the back of the line 2) Stick to their guns in which case not much could be done but at least more than likely someone else in the line behind them feels the same way as the OP does and that *may* impact the next time they think about doing something like that.

But an example on how the polite way that you used in your comment: Was at my local Walmart at the self-checkout area. The self-check out at that location is often busy so a line does form (but the lines are almost always worse in the normal checkout lines). Well one time a person just went straight to the spot where everyone waits for a self-checkout scanner to open up without regards to the line that had formed. I politely said almost exactly what you said and with genuine surprise they said "oh I didn't even realize" they actually seemed a bit embarassed that they effectively cut what was about 10 or so people in line. I responded still in a polite way something to the effect of "oh no worries I understand". That person quickly moved to the back of the line (which had actually grown by about 2 or 3 people once the quick conversation we had was over) and we both went on with our day.

Like I said Costco was packed with people and most carts were very full. I guess some checkers are more thorough than others but in my case he actually took my bill and ticked off all 9 items i had in my cart.
It was my teenage son who said to me "I hate line cutters" as we have always taught our kids to stick up for themselves but to also learn to pick their battles. In that moment, after having waited in lines for more than 30 minutes he saw the injustice of it and spoke I suppose without thinking.

Not sure it is my problem to give a line cutter an out to save face. I have always been taught and now teach my kids that whatever you do in life be ready to accept the consequences of it.
The ticking off all items part must be annoying. Our Costcos just briefly look in your cart. Sometimes if it's easy enough and there isn't a back up they may count the items in a mental way and match it with the receipt but they don't actually tick them all off it's still just a line through the receipt. It usually takes 15-30secs total no matter which way they do it.

My favorite is when they stop IN the roundabout... or even back up in it because they missed their turn. The dang thing goes in a circle. Just keep going!
My mom hates roundabouts. They make her nervous and she just hates them. I keep telling her "mom roundabouts are very popular around us and they aren't going anywhere try to get used to them" Just tonight we actually went to Costco (hey look at me bringing back the original topic of the thread lol) and they installed a roundabout last year at the main portion of the road used to get to Costco. So here we are in Costco trying to figure out where to eat dinner and all her suggestions purposefully avoided going through that roundabout :laughing:. As far as drivers stopping in the middle and treating it like a stop sign..yup I've seen that and in fact my mom did that last time we went to Costco together (I have the Costco membership not her) to which I admit I sorta raised my voice (not with a mean tone just a slightly what are you doing tone) and was like "mom you don't stop they yield to you if you are already within the circle".

Practically every road construction project in the last 5 years here has included what we refer to as a traffic circle. All new suburban subdivisions are designed around them and yes, there's even a few on intersecting highways. Does everybody know how to properly use them? Absolutely NOT, but there are actually very few accidents in them because I think we all just approach them with extreme caution and do whatever it takes to safely get through and out to the other side. I guess they must be quicker and more efficient at moving traffic than controlled stops, but I'll never be able to say I like them very much. :drive:
...But an example on how the polite way that you used in your comment: Was at my local Walmart at the self-checkout area. The self-check out at that location is often busy so a line does form (but the lines are almost always worse in the normal checkout lines). Well one time a person just went straight to the spot where everyone waits for a self-checkout scanner to open up without regards to the line that had formed. I politely said almost exactly what you said and with genuine surprise they said "oh I didn't even realize" they actually seemed a bit embarassed that they effectively cut what was about 10 or so people in line. I responded still in a polite way something to the effect of "oh no worries I understand". That person quickly moved to the back of the line (which had actually grown by about 2 or 3 people once the quick conversation we had was over) and we both went on with our day...
:thumbsup2

Practically every road construction project in the last 5 years here has included what we refer to as a traffic circle. All new suburban subdivisions are designed around them and yes, there's even a few on intersecting highways. Does everybody know how to properly use them? Absolutely NOT, but there are actually very few accidents in them because I think we all just approach them with extreme caution and do whatever it takes to safely get through and out to the other side. I guess they must be quicker and more efficient at moving traffic than controlled stops, but I'll never be able to say I like them very much. :drive:

:thumbsup2

We have a lot of them. We have quite a few different types in different sizes. Many of them have been around for decades, but a few are pretty new. The newer types in our area are dropped into existing intersections. I've even seen one that's built into such a narrow street that they had to cut into the existing sidewalk corner so that there's barely enough room for a car to pass through.

The big ones can get really nasty, especially when there are pedestrians. I've seen some drivers on stop signs entering a circle just forcing their way in there (tailgating the car in front) and cutting off drivers who theoretically should have had enough time/space to enter. I know it's not quite like an all-way intersection with stop signs, since it's not solely about waiting your turn. However, I've even seen one or two drivers roll right through a stop in such a way that drivers two segments further ended up waiting because there was no space.

Thank you. This thread is not really stressful but I do find it strange that some posters have turned on me just because I questioned why my thread took such a strange turn in topic.

Well you can’t control a thread, once it is out there it will go in whatever direction it goes.

So, at least in our Costco, the guy cutting in front would have cost me 30 seconds. Not enough to get upset about

I do get what you are saying but usually it is the “point”

I am confused. Rather than being passive aggressive and talking loudly amongst yourselves about how you "hate line cutters" and then escalating an argument, why didn't you just politely say to him "Excuse me sir, I am not sure you are aware, but the end of the line is back there?" You could have given him an out to save face and go to the end of the line. Passive aggressiveness does usually put the other person on the defensive and will escalate tensions as you witnessed.

I agree. I hate people being passive aggressive. If you have a problem then deal with it. That doesn’t mean going all aggressive but as you have pointed out saying “hey the back of the line is there” to him would have worked.

We were at the beach during our trip last month with the kids playing in the sand, the kids were running back and forth with their bucket to pour into the moat they had dug around their castle.
This women near us gets up and yells at me that “fine we will move then” so I just said “ cool” she went off her nut about how some of the water had been splashing on her (and I still can’t see how) so I told her that if she had come to me like a grown up I would have spoken to the kids but since she has decided to go passive aggressive and play the martyr then it was her problem to deal with.

It's not all the time. At rush hour, it's bumper to bumper. At other times, it's just heavy, fast moving traffic where it's not always possible to get over for cars entering from major roads. It's often a mad house between cars merging in & other cars trying to get off at the next exit. Come on down & join the circus. You'll quickly see what I mean.

I think it was you who mentioned S. Fl.? If you happen to be talking about the stretch between West Palm down to about Hollywood, I'll back you up.

1) whoever designed and signed off on those road additions over the years was drunk
2) everybody is crazy
3) see item 1) again

I always end up driving that stretch during busy times and there is no "steady" lane! It's merge, lane end, new lane, merge, new lane, lane end, merge, lane end, merge, lane, end, airport?

Add to that snowbirds that all bring their random "rules of the road" down here and it's enough to make anybody mad.

I think it was you who mentioned S. Fl.? If you happen to be talking about the stretch between West Palm down to about Hollywood, I'll back you up.

1) whoever designed and signed off on those road additions over the years was drunk
2) everybody is crazy
3) see item 1) again

I always end up driving that stretch during busy times and there is no "steady" lane! It's merge, lane end, new lane, merge, new lane, lane end, merge, lane end, merge, lane, end, airport?

Add to that snowbirds that all bring their random "rules of the road" down here and it's enough to make anybody mad.
Ah, someone else who lives the life. :D We're big fans of the engineers who designed the roads too. :rolleyes1 What were they thinking? :sad2: The crazy amount of traffic & horrible drivers don't help. If you haven't had a reason to continue further south, try to avoid it. It doesn't get any better. Most of the time Miami is even worse. We live south of Hollywood & try to avoid crossing the Miami-Dade line, unless we have to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter