• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Lilo and Stitch - I Never Knew...

BrianL

Doom Buggy Driver
Okay, so I recently watched the movie Lilo and Stitch. It was a movie I had only ever seen once, and even then on TV so probably edited. Anyway, while I've always been aware of the franchise, I've just never paid it much attention, even though it was at one time extremely popular, especially Stitch. The movie is absolutely delightful! I don't know why it's never counted among my favroties, but it should be. Lilo is kind of an amazing character - she's "out there" for sure, brusque and reactionary, but full of optimism and certitude. When she attacks her bully Myrtle at the drop of a hat I knew I liked her!

What I didn't really know was that Lilo and Stitch was aslo a franchise with an astonishing level of continuity and detail - a timeline of events that is adhered to more than they sometimes do for this kind of thing. There was a series, bookended by two "movies" (really just long episodes) plus a sequel that takes place before the series begins (released concurrently, but a little later), and a short to tie the two together. Yeah, so the direct-to-video- stuff isn't well regarded, but I found myself watching it, and am now many episodes into the series. The significance of Stitch being "Experiment 626' comes into play as there are 625 others and they all must be located. The way the series treats the charactes with consistency makes it stand out - it is very well-crafted. I particularly like that Jumba, the "evil scientist" is still very much evil, even though he lives with them and cares about his new family. He gets a little thrill when his experiments cause the chaos they were intended to cause. I also appreciate how the creatures evolve, with the higher numbered ones being extremely dangerous and destructive while the early ones were just kind of annoying (like Yapper - "he barks at night and annoys the neighbors" - evil stuff!).

So I have been impressed and need to incorporate more Lilo and Stitch into my Disney love. Even the music is stuck in my head. I've alwyas loved Hawaiin Roller Coaster Ride but Aloha E Como Mai, which is the theme song for the show, is also amazing. I find myself never skipping the credits. There's something about it, for sure and I am becomming a bigger fan that I ever was.

You surely made me curious enough, wonderfully put. I've just seen the first movie, long time ago and I admit, never thought of it again. At the time I thought it was cute and all, but those are excellent points you made. Now, not sure how I'll find the series.

Reactions: GAN
I really like your analysis BrianL, and completely agree. The movie has always been one of my favorites. I remember going through the animation building at the studios, back when they used to actually make things there, and seeing them working on Lilo and Stitch. I love the setting in Hawaii and their use of the language and culture of Hawaii. I love the sister relationship between Lilo and Nani and the fact that they both look like real girls. I LOVE that Nani is just as great a surfer as David. it still makes me tear up when Stitch talks about his family, the one he found all by himself, being good. The series is really entertaining also and getting to see the creativity involved with the various creations of Jumba. I think everything in the whole Lilo and Stitch universe is currently available on Disney+.

We love Lilo and Stitch. It’s got a great soundtrack, use to to listen to it regularly back in the day. Enjoy Lilo and her range of emotions. Noni for her protection of her sister, surfing, and non-princess body.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter