Light sabers...worth the money?

My DH flew through LAX, and was told by the TSA at the front of the line to check the blade (but could carry on the hilt). Other people on other websites have reported the same thing, and some have reported being able to take them on the plane. YMMV

Pshh if they tell us no maybe we will just have to have a light saber duel with a TSA agent! HAH Just kidding, yeah or I also wonder about shipping it home. We did that with a lot of larger items last trip and it was such a blessing as we have 3 small kids so the less chaos at the airport the better

Trying to plan in advance for our trip and save money as my husband is a HUGE Starwars fan. In the past there have been places you can build your own light saber in Hollywood Studios and at Disney Springs. I do not remember paying THAT much for them in the past. Is there really a big difference in this new experience and quality of the product?

The original photo I saw of them they looked much nicer than the previous ones you could make but the more photos I see the more I think they look the same!

$199.99 is just a lot of money to spend when we already have 3 of the ones you could make before at home.

I think it depends on the individual and how they value the experience and the memory of having one. I know other high quality lightsabers are well north of $100 and this comes with a detailed experience, etc.

So for people that are into collecting them I think the price point isn't crazy

Personally, I don't want one that much and is a lot to spend on something that will just sit on a shelf largely

For me, I see the droids as a better value at $99 as you get an experience building them as well and then you can play with them and they can interact with the land and each other, etc. so we will be going that route (and I see the droids comparing more to the Harry Potter Wands due to the interactive nature of them - and if those are $60 then I think $99 isn't bad for the droid considering it is a full robot that moves and makes noise, etc. on top of the interactive elements)

My DH flew through LAX, and was told by the TSA at the front of the line to check the blade (but could carry on the hilt). Other people on other websites have reported the same thing, and some have reported being able to take them on the plane. YMMV
I'm lost at the logistics on this. If someone has already checked their bags, how would they get the blade into their suitcase? Are they going to allow people to gate check? Are they going to follow people to the gate to ensure that they do? I'm assuming that they will have a box, so hopefully it wouldn't get damaged. When we bought HP wands, I made sure they went into the suitcase as I didn't want to risk that they wouldn't allow us to carry them on. Fortunately, we kept the boxes (though DH did try to ditch them at one point, but I knew it would be better to keep them).

I spent MORE than $200 on an Ultra Saber -- an unofficial sound/light lightsaber made (look them up). These sabers are more than toys - they are meant for cos-playing and actual stage fighting. It makes sounds when you power it up and down .. and when you swing it and clash it. It has several different sounds (different types of saber sounds).

(On a side note - I used the saber for a gender reveal -- I had someone order it for me and we had no clue what color it would be when ignited --- so the extra cost was worth it there too).

If these are near the caliber of those - $200 for one you get to craft INSIDE a themed Star wars land with parts you pick yourself? Yes. Worth it if your kid (or you) will PLAY with it. Worth it for a decoration? probably not.

The only issue I have with the price is the fact the Kyber Crystals are 49.99 a pop. That's a decent chunk of change just to color the blade and have different sound effects.

The only issue I have with the price is the fact the Kyber Crystals are 49.99 a pop. That's a decent chunk of change just to color the blade and have different sound effects.
I think they’re about $13. I believe there is one included in the initial price. Other colours are optional.

I think they’re about $13. I believe there is one included in the initial price. Other colours are optional.

I thought I saw in one video where a guy was putting in different crystals he bought said they were 50 each.

If they are 13 than yeah that's a lot more reasonable than 50.

I'm lost at the logistics on this. If someone has already checked their bags, how would they get the blade into their suitcase? Are they going to allow people to gate check? Are they going to follow people to the gate to ensure that they do? I'm assuming that they will have a box, so hopefully it wouldn't get damaged. When we bought HP wands, I made sure they went into the suitcase as I didn't want to risk that they wouldn't allow us to carry them on. Fortunately, we kept the boxes (though DH did try to ditch them at one point, but I knew it would be better to keep them).

Does not come with a box. Comes with a big carrying bag.

The confusion about $50 crystals may be due to there being two LARGE crystals for sale for around that much that are basically display pieces. (one green one red iirc)

I personally wouldn't buy one for a kid, but I don't have kids so what I think isn't super helpful, haha. I do have an anecdote: I bought my little brother an UltraSaber at DragonCon years ago, which are these INCREDIBLE, legit lightsabers. They have accelerometers in them so the sound effects line up with the movements, and you can get ones that are capable of full combat. The awesome ones cost more than the ones that Disney is selling but I also think they're much better (you can also customize them much more than the Disney ones). All that to say, I bought my little brother one back when he was around 12 or 14, just a simple $100 one with no sounds, for his birthday. He waved it around like 3 times and now it's in his closet somewhere. I would say part of the price at Disney is for the experience and I'd be shocked if they're the same quality as UltraSaber (they're hand made too which affects the price. I swear I'm not affiliated with them lol, just obsessed). They ARE much better than those plastic ones they used to sell, though. I haven't seen many close pics or reviews of them so I think it's still a wait-and-see game.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter