• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"Life itself is the proper binge" - Update 4/6 - Kona & Captain Cook's

Day 5: Lunch

Kona Cafe

After an action packed morning at the Magic Kingdom, we tried to figure out where we would want to eat lunch in the Magic Kingdom. Nothing really appealed to us at the time, so we decided to head back to the resort and see if we could walk-in at Kona. There wasn't a problem as well the restuarant is rather dead at the lunch hours.

We started with:
Pot Stickers - wok-seared duck dumplings with creamy ginger-soy sauce $7.49​
p1020379.jpg

I enjoyed these a lot! My husband didn't but he isn't a huge duck fan.

For our main courses, I went with:
Polynesian Plate Lunch - $14.99
Traditional Hawaiian favorite served with sticky rice and macaroni salad, featuring your choice of:
-- Chicken with some sweet sauce.

I subbed the macaroni salad for more sticky rice. The chicken was nicely cooked. The sauce was on the side of being a bit too sweet for a main course but tasty. I might not order that entree again if we go back for lunch.

My husband went with:
Angus Chuck Kahuna Burger - char-grilled served with bacon and your choice of cheddar, swiss or American cheese $11.99
p1020380l.jpg

He enjoyed this. It was eaten in about 3 minutes flat ;)

For dessert!

I decided to enjoy my inner child:
Kona Kone $5.99
p1020382s.jpg

This is huge! I couldn't finish it all. Cotton Candy? M&Ms? Ice Cream? You can't make that go wrong.

My husband went with:
White Chocolate Cheesecake - Cheesecake with a hint of white chocolate, strawberry coulis, and whipped cream $5.49

This was well received!

Cost: 47.42
Total Cost to Date: 528.78
Downtown Disney - Goofy's

After lunch, we headed to DTD to get some last minute shopping done. While there, we decided to get some snacks for the next day's drive home.

I got some of the Dipped Pretzel Rods - 5.95 & my husband got some Lollipops - $4.95​
p1020384a.jpg

They were great road food!

Cost: 11.61
Total Cost to Date: 540.39

Day 5 - Dinner

Blue Zoo

Dinner this evening was at Blue Zoo. As we pulled up to the Dolphin to Valet our car - we waited for 15 minutes and no one showed up. :confused3 So off to the self park lots of the Dolphin which were a bit of a walk to the main building when it was raining & having a hurt ankle.

We arrived at the podium right at our ADR time & were lead to an empty dining room.

I looked over the cocktail menu & tried to order the candy one to find out they were out of part of the ingrediants. Thus I went with the signature
Zooberry $13
p1020386k.jpg

This was a nice cocktail but I'm not sure if I could get it again.

p1020388l.jpg

Mmm yummy breads!

For our appetizers,

Low Country Jumbo Shrimp - White Chedder Hominy, Okra, Smoked Bacon Butter - $14​
p1020391u.jpg

Cheese. Shrimp. Bacon. Butter. How could there be anything wrong with this dish?

I probably inhaled it in 2 minutes flat:rotfl:

My husband was impressed with his appetizer:
New England Style Clam Chowder...light and brothy w/ salt cured bacon - $8
p1020390o.jpg

I think he missed the "light and brothy" part as his complaint was that it tasted like water down chowder and that is just wrong.

For entrees,
I went with Simply Fish w/ Warm Crabmeat, Dijon Mustard, Chives - $32​
p1020393w.jpg

It was a bass. I think I made the mistake with the fish I ordered. There were 3 fish given as a choice and I decided to get the one I hadn't had before. It was overly fishy & I hate fish with a strong fish taste. Luckily the sauce used covered it well.

My husband was unadventurous & had
Beef Tenderloin - $42
p1020392l.jpg

He said it was good. Similiar to his steaks at other signature places in Disney.

We decided to skip dessert as nothing stood out to us & to see if we could get into Kona for just desserts that evening.

We will probably check out BlueZoo again in a future trip. We weren't overly impressed but enjoyed it none the less. I think it was more on what we ordered than on the restuarant's doing though.

Meal Cost: $112.49
Total to Date: $652.88​

Day 5 - Dessert

Kona

When we arrived back at the Polynesian, we were going to try to walk into Kona to just get dessert. However, they were packed! Instead, we asked at the Sushi Bar if we could get desserts togo and it was allowed! :cool1:

p1020394q.jpg

White Chocolate Cheesecake - Cheesecake with a hint of white chocolate, strawberry coulis, and whipped cream $5.49
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Banana-Chocolate Creme Brulee - with a chocolate spiral $5.99[/FONT]

Both of these were excellent and enjoyed in the comforts of our room.

Cost: $12.23
Total: $665.11

Day 6 - Breakfast

Captain Cook's
Final breakfast! :(

We woke up this morning and packed our bags. We headed to Captain Cook's to get our last breakfast.

p1020290s.jpg

I enjoyed one last Tonga Toast w/ Bacon - $6.19 & my husband had one last Breakfast Platter - $6.29 w/ a Vitamin Water to share.

Both of these were a nice hearty breakfast before we got on the road home.

Cost: $16.48
Total: $681.59​

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter