"Life itself is the proper binge" - Update 4/6 - Kona & Captain Cook's

Day 1 - Part 1 - Breakfast/Lunch

We ended up on the road much earlier than I thought. Originally, I thought I would have to work at least a half day, most likely a full day before we could drive down. Something was on my side this week as despite the many 'emergencies' I was able to look at my work load on Thursday and know I would be ok with being gone on Friday. I checked with my boss & he was ok with it.

After dropping the dogs off at 'camp' we began driving down the road on an empty stomach. Around 10:30am, we were hungry.

Of the choices for us, Chick-fil-a was the least menacing.

I went with a Sweet Tea & Chicken Biscuit. My husband went for a Chicken Sandwitch & Fries.
img0088hu.jpg

Overall a decent meal for the road food that it is. Better than McDonald's any day!
sw6s.jpg

Meal: $9.51
Total Cost: $9.51

Day 1 - Snacks

Tequila Bar

We arrived at 3pm at EPCOT & the sky was starting to pour.

Eventually we made it to the Mexico pavillion as I wanted alcohol now! as a start to our vacation. The tables inside were filled and the bar was packed.

I had a Pineapple Margarita
img0090ip.jpg

My husband only wanted a water.

The margarita was much better than the ones from outside. I love the cactus salt for the margarita.
sw1u.jpg

Snack: $15 (including tip)
Total Cost: $24.51

Snack Cart outside Mission Space

After finishing our beverages, I was noticing the drink was hitting me more than usual but that shouldn't have been a shock to me as it was now 5pm & the only thing I had eaten all day was a chicken biscuit. I started craving nachos but with the counter service in Mexico shut down, I ended up with a pretzel w/ cheese sauce.

No picture as it was eaten in the rain under a metal umbrella.

sw6s.jpg

It was just ok. It was a tasty snack for the two of us to split before enjoying a few more Future World rides before we made our way to dinner.

Snack: $5
Total Cost: $29.51

Day 1 - Dinner

Jiko's

For dinner we ended up at Jiko's. This is my husband's first time to the normal restaurant & he started off not very thrilled about going. He did not enjoy our meal here in October at the F&W Festival Event and was judging the rest of the restaurant on that one experience.

After ordering our meal, they brought out the bread which had changed from when I was last here in December.
p1020252v.jpg

I couldn't figure out if it was figs in the bread or something else. Thus I really didn't eat a lot of it.

I had a glass of the Warwick 3 Cape Ladies - $14

We decided to split an appetizer -
Tibs Watt in Panekoeke - stewed beef rolled in "crepes" with peppadew-olive tapenade $9.00

I loved these! I admit I was nervous as I am not a huge olive fan but the taste of the beef and peppadew overpowered any taste of olives.

For my entree - I decided to get another appetizer on the list
Barbecue Chicken Flatbread - With apple-jicama slaw, African barbecue sauce, and four cheeses $10.00
&
Side of Mac & Cheese - $3.50
p1020254j.jpg

I loved that flatbread. The slaw with the barbecue sauce made the dish as while I remember there being some chicken, it wasn't the star of the dish.

The mac & cheese was good like it usually is although I think it tastes better when it has the wine sauce mixed in ;)

My husband was unadventurous and went with -
Oak-Grilled Filet Mignon - with Macaroni & Cheese and Red Wine Sauce $41.00
p1020253.jpg

He ordered it medium & it came out medium well. He didn't mind this as over the few years we've been together I've finally gotten him to the point where he'll order medium for filets but he still enjoys more dead meat. If it was me, I would have complained though :rolleyes1

He loved his meal!

We split the Celebration dessert - $8 which was the donuts w/ Kenyan ice cream.
p1020255t.jpg

This entire meal was excellent. My husband is fine with the restaurant to enter the rotation for the two of us for future trips.
sw1u.jpg

Meal: $88.24
Total Cost: $117.75

I'm going to apologize for the varying photo quality of this report as I forgot my real camera at work thus I'm using my husband's old camera + my iphone and I am failing at some of the settings for his camera.

Day 2 - Breakfast

Captain Cook's

We checked out of the All Star Music Saturday morning around 7 & headed to the Polynesian to check in.

It was around 7:30 so we decided to grab breakfast at Captain Cook's.

My husband went with
Adult Breakfast Platter - scrambled eggs, with bacon, sausage, breakfast potatoes, and biscuit $6.29

I had a Croissant $2.29

We split a powerade.

It was a decent breakfast & amount of food. My husband's food was done quickly and served still hot which is sometimes spotty at counter service breakfasts.

sw6s.jpg

Meal: $12.22
Total Cost: $129.97

Day 2 - Snacks

Germany

While exploring the World Showcase, we decided to pick up some chocolate in Germany to enjoy back in the room.
p1020281.jpg

Ritter Mini Pack - $5.50
Tolbarone Bar - $1.95

We actually haven't had more than two of the chocolate mini's so far so it looks like it might be going home with us to enjoy later. The two pieces we have had were quite smooth as you enjoyed them which I love in chocolate.

Snack: $7.94
Total Cost: $137.91

I hope you are enjoying your trip! We were told that the bread was olive bread. Did you get any special butter with it? We got plain butter, but we think that was due to my sister's lactose intolerance. She can eat butter but no other milk products, so we thought the special butter might have something mixed into it which she could not eat...

popcorn::I really like they way you do your dining reviews to show what the total cost is! I am really going to try and stick to a budget this year!:lmao:

Wow back to back reviews! Love the reports and the pic's! Cant wait to hear how the rest of this trip is going!

I hope you are enjoying your trip! We were told that the bread was olive bread. Did you get any special butter with it? We got plain butter, but we think that was due to my sister's lactose intolerance. She can eat butter but no other milk products, so we thought the special butter might have something mixed into it which she could not eat...
I thought it might be olive bread or fig as I tried to pull one off to figure it out but that didn't work very well :rotfl: We did get the special butter with it, the same as what they usually serve.

Great report and pics.
Thanks so much...loved reading about your adventures;-)
Thanks for joining in!

popcorn::I really like they way you do your dining reviews to show what the total cost is! I am really going to try and stick to a budget this year!:lmao:
Thanks. We aren't big on sticking to a budget but its good to track. I'm trying to compare to see if the Deluxe or OOP is best for our dining style & saves us the most money.

Wow back to back reviews! Love the reports and the pic's! Cant wait to hear how the rest of this trip is going!
Thaanks!

We leave tomorrow morning & we haven't done really well about sticking to plan some of the days of this trip. My attempts at being live didn't work out well either :rolleyes1

We did get a bounceback off in our room for 40% deluxe resorts with date ranges that work for our F&W trip. We're planning on Oct 2nd to 10th now at the Beach Club. We may end up staying at a value on Oct 1st if we end up doing the F&W Relay Half-Marathon on the 2nd,

Day 2 - Lunch

Coral Reef​

After enjoying our morning in EPCOT, we headed towards our lunch at Coral Reef.

5 minutes after checking in we were taken to our table and seated along the back wall. It was quiet & enjoyable in this location.

We were served our bread which has changed from the sliced warm bread to a room temperature rolls which we didn't really enjoy and thus didn't eat a lot of.

I enjoyed a Vanilla Blossom Martini with my meal.

For our appetizer, we split Shrimp Risotto - $10.99

There 3 normal sized shrimp on a bed of saffron risotto & I could have had two of those for my meal and been a happy camper.

sw4v.jpg

For our entrees my husband & I got the same thing - Caesar Salad although he got chicken on his.

We both thought it was ok, nothing spectacular but enjoyable nonetheless.

sw6s.jpg

As an anniversary present, we were served a small tasting of the lobster bisque with our entree. This was a nice surprise we were not expecting even though neither of us were huge fans of the bisque but we ate a decent amount anyway b/c it was given to us.

We decided to get dessert -
I got the Jack Daniel's & Bailey Mousse

My husband had the Sugar Free Cheesecake.

We both enjoyed these more than our main courses but overall standard desserts.
sw1u.jpg

We will keep it in the lunch rotation but it isn't a must do as there is only one main course we both enjoy.

Meal: $59.04
Total Cost: $196.95

Day 2 - Dinner

Fulton's

Around 5pm we headed to Downtown Disney. I was wearing my new heels for dinner & well that was a bad idea. :rotfl: In the middle of Team Disney I twisted my ankle twice! My husband had me hobble to a bench and he ran to get me new nonheels from World of Disney to survive for the rest of the evening.

We checked in & I didn't realize Fulton's usually sat people on the second floor & that was extemely slow when your left ankle is the size of a softball.

Our server promptly arrived at our table to describe the menu and the specials of the evening. I ordered Tropical Hurricane - $8.95 while we discussed what we would order.

When the waitress returned to take our order, she delivered the bread & crab dip.

p1020282.jpg

Both of which were excellent!

My husband began with a bowl of Clam Chowder - 6.95
p1020283x.jpg

He loved this as if it was empty around us, I'm pretty sure he would have licked the bowl clean.

I however, was unoriginal with my appetizer and choose a Caesar Salad - $6.95
p1020284b.jpg

This blew Coral Reef's salad out of the fish tank as you could taste the other ingredients of the dressing outside of the mayo.

My husband went with the Dungeness Crab - $27.95 for his main course.

p1020286n.jpg

This is his second time ever having crab. His first was this past Christmas when my mother served King Crab legs & Steamed Shrimp for Christmas Eve and he enjoyed that. However, he wasn't sure if he liked just the King Crab or all crab & decided to go with the less expensive to see. Turns out! He loves all crab :rotfl: (At least I should be able to get him to local seafood restuarants more often now!)

I went with the Grilled Shrimp - $23.95
p1020287e.jpg

While it was only 6 shrimp, they were of a decent enough size that with the broccoli I was stuffed. The sauce they have for dipping your shrimp in was so flavorful! I loved it.

We declined on dessert, however, they had a surprise for us!
A slice of their chocolate cake:
p1020288.jpg

We couldn't finish it all but we made a decent dent into it.

Fulton's is most definitely on our must do list for future trips! Everything was top of the line & it was the best meal of the trip. Their acceptance of Tables in Wonderland also helps make it even more reasonable.

It receives the highest honor of this dining report:
sw4v.jpg

Meal: $77.15
Total Cost: $274.10

Great review of Fultons, it's on my list for the fall, and I can't wait to try it! :goodvibes

I just found your reviews and will go back to read them all. I just wanted to say that I loved your review of Fulton's. It is one of our favorite restaurants. And I'm so glad your DH decided he likes ALL crab. Be sure he gets the King Crab Claws next time--they are to die for. :worship:

You ordered the donuts for dessert at Jiko! You are my hero!!! :worship:

Glad your regular dinner turned out so well ... I will never forget what you wrote about the signature dinner there so I'm happy that you had a good experience this time. :goodvibes

I could go for those Jiko donuts and the crab from Fultons...oh man I am starving now!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter