Let's Watch the Hallucination Show on the Castle- A May '14 TR *12/3 PTR Link to Real Life News

Hey Girl! I believe karma brought me to your trip report on one of my rare moments on the boards! Excited to read!

Thanks for reading my report! I saw on facebook that you just went to Disney last month. I hope you had a wonderful time!

Aulani is next January (only 4 nights there and the rest on the North Shore of Oahu) - I posted a blurb about it on the Hawaii TR - link on the bottom of the intro post there. Disneyland is tentative still, but dates would be mid-November this year, after Dug's work retreat in Palm Springs. Hoping it works out.

I will have to go check it out. I'm so terrible about leavig the TR thread. I keep falling behind on you report and some other DISers that wrote about ABD and DL. One day I'll catch up!

I hope Disneyland ends up working out. I mean, if Dug's gonna be that close for work anyways....right? Plus, the Christmas decorations might be up by then!

Definitely! I'd love to meet up sometime! :goodvibes

I'm sure Landon would love to chat with your boys. He gets so bored by my DISmeets sometimes, because he just has to sit in the stroller and watch while Alex and I chat with other adults. Poor guy would love for me to meet someone that has kids for a change.

All right, I'm breaking the proverbial ice and posting an update. Whenever I'm feeling down in the dumps, the two things that help cheer me up are writing and thinking about Disney, so that's what I am gonna concentrate on right now.

Positivity!

And if that doesn't work how about a 17 month old Landon ready to hit the road and start our trip?

August 17, 2014:

Isn't it sad I can't even remember what day of the week the 17th fell on? Normally, I'm good about remembering those little details, but with this trip it's just fallen between the cracks.

A week before my mom and I went down to my in-law's house, Alex sent me my birthday present.

It was a Disney gift card!

He claims that I never spend the money I set aside for myself, and if I do, I use it on other people. So this card came with a requirement. I absolutely, no questions asked had to use the card for me and only me. Alex did not care if I bought some shirts, some pins, or ten dole whips with the money, but it had to be for me.

And if I'm being perfectly honest, I was kind of excited to have the gift card. It made me more willing to shop and buy souvenirs that I came across. I bought more stuff this trip than I did on any other vacation.

Then again, maybe that's because I was the one who got to browse rather than Alex...

:rolleyes1

Speaking of Disney gift cards....

Way, way, wayyy back in July my mom ordered her 2 gift cards through the credit card rewards. Unbeknownst to her, the processing of those cards took up to 4 weeks. Which did not include the actual shipping and handling time.
She checked the mail every single day leading up to our trip, waiting and waiting for those dang cards to come.

They were what we were going to use to pay off the room!

Our departure day finally arrived, but unfortunately the cards never did.

They came the following day.

:sad2:

To say my mom was irritated by the whole thing would be an understatement. She had come to accept that she would have to hold onto the cards for another trip down the road and find the 200 dollars elsewhere.

That's when I put on my thinking cap and came up with a hilariously ridiculous idea.
I called my younger brother (who's still living with my parents while he completes the first few years of college) and asked him to open up the mail with the gift cards inside. Then, I had him read me the gift card numbers while I wrote them down.

And then repeated them back about a hundred times to make sure I had the correct codes.

There's only about 20 digits in the card and five in a row have to be the same.

Nothing like paying attention to the phone call at hand.

On the day my mom, Landon, and I left my in laws we drove up to a Publix to buy some groceries that we'd need for our Disney stay. During that time, I called Disney and managed to pay off the balance of the room using the two gift card codes.

The lady on the other end of the line thought I was nuts paying off a balance on the day we were set to check in, but I didn't care.

Had to be creative with this.

And thankfully, it worked and the cards were applied. It had to be the most backwards way of doing it, but we really didn't have any other option since the rewards came so late in the game. My mom never imagined in a million years the money wouldn't get there before the vacation.

Leaving Publix (and then a Starbucks) my mom and I drove the 45 minutes it takes to get to Disney property. It wasn't long at all before we came upon the arches and then the entrance sign to Jambo House.

We were home!!!

My mom pulled up to the gate guard and told the guy working we were checking in. The guy looked at some paperwork then came back to our window and asked, "So somebody's got a birthday this week?"

I was in the backseat so I leaned forward and nodded.

Me, me, I do!

The gate guard then proceeded to sing Happy Birthday to me through the car window.

Ahhh!!

What?!

Sure, I was a tad bit embarrassed to be sang to, but I gotta admit, that was one heck of a check in.

I doubt I'll ever receive a Disney welcome as festive or as celebratory as that ever again.

If this was the kind of treatment people received on their birthdays, it was no wonder people went out of their way to plan their vacations around their special day.

I was smiling ear to ear the whole way through the parking lot and into the lobby, where we were met with quite a long check in line. Seemed like a DME bus had just unloaded a group, because my mom and I waited around ten minutes or so to talk to someone with an IPAD. Up ahead, we could hear 90% of the people being told that their rooms weren't ready yet, so I started mentally thinking of things to take Landon to do while we killed time.

Except, when our turn rolled around, not only was our room ready, but they had upgraded us to a Savannah View!

pixiedust:

Oh my goodness!!!!

Shock and delight and extreme humbleness were the vast majority of emotions playing through my head when I heard the news.

How in the world did I get so fortunate to get upgrades both times I stayed at AKL?

I really didn't feel like I deserved that kind of special treatment.

Once was a cool surprise, but twice felt unworthy.

Actually, I was more guilty about the fact that our room was ready before everyone else's. I swear there was a family next to us that gave us the evil eye when they overhead that piece of information.

Don't blame me, I'm just the recipient. Talk to the Disney Gods and their pixie dust distribution department!

Our room for the week was on the 3rd floor (the same level as the lobby) and two viewing balconies down the hallway. Not the most accurate measure of distance, but that's how I refer to the AKL room areas. You go past a dozen or so rooms, then you come to either a big set of windows you can look out or a balcony with rockers to sit on. The areas form a T and have another hallway branching off it opposite the windows, which is the direction Alex and I stayed in May.

This time around my mom and I were in one of the rooms right off the main hallway.

Meaning....
Our view from the balcony was incredible.

I wish I had taken a picture of my mom's reaction when I pulled the curtains back and the view became visible. She was blown away by how close the animals looked and how expansive the grounds seemed.

You had to constantly remind yourself that you were in Florida, in Disney World. Otherwise, you'd just get swept away in the illusion that you were on a savannah, somewhere even farther away from home.

My mom and I didn't have any big plans for the afternoon; tentatively I was planning on hitting the parks for Magic Kingdom EMH after Landon went to sleep, but that was a big IF. For the time being the two of us had bell services drop our luggage off. (Yeah, we weren't making the same mistake Alex did.) The guy who delivered our stuff was snarky to me about bringing a Pack N Play when there was one in the room, and I felt the need to explain to him Disney wasn't our only stop this trip.

Not that I had to. I didn't owe him an explanation, but it irked me that the guy was griping about having to bring in the contraption. I get it, it's heavy, but if I can move it around and put it in and out of a vehicle, it's not THAT heavy. Yeesh.

With all our junk in the room (it's obvious from the pictures we brought a lot) we went about getting everything unpacked and setting up the troublesome Pack N Play.

I quickly discovered the room was smaller than the one Alex and I stayed in a couple months ago; it didn't have the dresser and storage compartment that the other one did in the hallway. It also did not have as much floor space.

I didn't know the rooms varied in size, but I guess they do.

It made moving the table and chairs to fit the Pack N Play into the corner a little more interesting, but I finally figured out a way and made it work.

Landon was being extremely antsy during this whole setup process. He tried playing with the room phone, then the notepads on the nightstand, and then my mother’s earplugs which she had absentmindly thrown on said table.

It was then that my mom and I discovered that if a toddler throws something small enough (like earplugs) in the corner of the bed where the mattress joins with the bedrails, the item is gone forever.

My poor mother.

Landon dropped one of her earplugs into that tiny little crevice and no matter what we did, we couldn’t open up enough space to get that thing back out. At one point I had even tried squeezing a pair of tweezers down in the gap to try and grab it, but my hand wouldn’t reach low enough.
Landon was making life an adventure…

To save my mom’s sanity, I put the Must Do’s on the television, and my son became enraptured with Stacey.

Sure, it might have been the fact that he was getting screen time (a pretty big rarity for him) but I chose to believe he was glued to the tv because he loved watching Stacy and all her enthusiasm.

While he was momentarily occupied, I laid out his pajamas for the week:

I couldn’t go to Animal Kingdom Lodge and NOT pack his Lion King pjs!

Then we had bed rails brought up, because my 17 month old was completely oblivious to the trouble I went through to get that blasted thing set up for him and would undoubtedly end up in my bed in the middle of the night.

My modified version of the bed rails:

f1 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

Yep, I was just tweaking and adjusting all kinds of things in the room.

I'm such a rebel.

After ALL of that work, I happened to glance outside and see that some more animals had gravitated over to our part of the savannah.
It was time to go sit outside and enjoy some sightseeing!

The animals were really making my mom’s arrival grand. She couldn’t have asked for a cooler reception to her room.

(All right, all right, MAYBE the castle straight ahead from a Contemporary room would have been more impressive, but I was working with what I had.)

I had to admit, the skies in August were just the most brilliant blue you could imagine. I could have sat and watched the world go by for hours at that spot, enjoying the summer air and the clearest skies I’d ever seen at Disney.

And these bad boys:

Who could ever get sick of watching giraffes roaming around?

I’ll tell you who…

My kid, that’s who.

Landon liked spotting the animals and pointing them out, but after five minutes he was pulling on my shorts and trying to drag me back into the room.

He was clearly bored and restless and wanted to explore more than the four walls around him.

My mom was interested in checking out the rest of the resort, too, kind of become familiar with her surroundings for the next week, so we gathered a bag and left the room.

Time to wander!

Up Next…Can’t Say I’m too Sad about Being Here

Last edited:
I'm sure Landon would love to chat with your boys. He gets so bored by my DISmeets sometimes, because he just has to sit in the stroller and watch while Alex and I chat with other adults. Poor guy would love for me to meet someone that has kids for a change.

The boys would love that, too! :thumbsup2

The 17th was a Sunday.
I have a thing for dates. Plus my daughter started school on the 15th last year. A Friday! Crazy!

Love your trip reports!!

I called my younger brother (who's still living with my parents while he completes the first few years of college) and asked him to open up the mail with the gift cards inside. Then, I had him read me the gift card numbers while I wrote them down.
Wonderful work around!

I was in the backseat so I leaned forward and nodded.

Me, me, I do!

The gate guard then proceeded to sing Happy Birthday to me through the car window.

Ahhh!!

What?!
:rotfl2::lmao::rotfl: Oh I would die! :rotfl::rotfl2::lmao:

Except, when our turn rolled around, not only was our room ready, but they had upgraded us to a Savannah View!

pixiedust:

Oh my goodness!!!!
:wizard::wizard::wizard::wizard: Awesome pixie dust!

I swear there was a family next to us that gave us the evil eye when they overhead that piece of information.
I would have been tempted to throw a "Nanny Nanny Boo Boo!" their way!

The guy who delivered our stuff was snarky to me about bringing a Pack N Play when there was one in the room, and I felt the need to explain to him Disney wasn't our only stop this trip.
Well that's unfortunate and un magical!

I didn't know the rooms varied in size, but I guess they do.
Strange. Maybe that is why you were upgraded.

It was then that my mom and I discovered that if a toddler throws something small enough (like earplugs) in the corner of the bed where the mattress joins with the bedrails, the item is gone forever.

Landon was making life an adventure…

To save my mom’s sanity, I put the Must Do’s on the television, and my son became enraptured with Stacey.

I couldn’t go to Animal Kingdom Lodge and NOT pack his Lion King pjs!

(All right, all right, MAYBE the castle straight ahead from a Contemporary room would have been more impressive, but I was working with what I had.)

What a great start to the trip! That view is awesome. And good to know about the bedrails. Are they available at all resorts or just the deluxes?

I think that was pretty resourceful of you think that you didn't need the physical gift cards, just the codes. Glad you figured out a way to make it work and not stress about paying the extra money for the room you were only upgrading too b/c of getting the gift cards!

How fun to be sung to by the CM at the gate to AKL! If I am ever behind someone at a gate house that seems to be taking an extra long time I will now just assume they are having Happy Birthday being sung to them!

How great that your room was ready - and to get the upgraded room! That is awesome!

Jeez, was it really that big of a deal to the bell hop? I mean, I assume he had a cart and wasn't hauling all your bags at once like a Sherpa.

Always a balancing act between staying and enjoying the view and then actually getting out and doing stuff ..... guess Landon knew what he wanted to do

Totally brilliant idea with the gift cards!!

Wow, you definitely get some pixie dust when you stay at AKL! That is really awesome that you ended up with a savanna view and that your room was ready upon arrival. I know just how stressful that can be to find something to fill the time until you get into your room with an antsy little one!

That view is totally amazing!

So... is the ticker new, or am I just so dense that I've totally missed it? If I'm reading it right, it looks like congratulations are in order!

Isn't it sad I can't even remember what day of the week the 17th fell on? Normally, I'm good about remembering those little details, but with this trip it's just fallen between the cracks.
Minor details. It's been awhile.

A week before my mom and I went down to my in-law's house, Alex sent me my birthday present.
And there's no better way to let you know that he fully supported you taking this trip! :thumbsup2

And if I'm being perfectly honest, I was kind of excited to have the gift card. It made me more willing to shop and buy souvenirs that I came across. I bought more stuff this trip than I did on any other vacation.

Then again, maybe that's because I was the one who got to browse rather than Alex...
:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao: It was definitely a thoughtful gift. And I'm glad that you had a chance to do some shopping for yourself.

Our departure day finally arrived, but unfortunately the cards never did.

They came the following day.
:headache: Naturally.

Had to be creative with this.

And thankfully, it worked and the cards were applied.
That was some good thinking on your part! Not sure I'd have considered that option. I'm glad you were able to make it work.

Sure, I was a tad bit embarrassed to be sang to, but I gotta admit, that was one heck of a check in.

I doubt I'll ever receive a Disney welcome as festive or as celebratory as that ever again.
That's great! Definitely over the top, but isn't that what we love about Disney?

Woohoo! See ya, suckers! We'll just be in our room watching the animals.

You had to constantly remind yourself that you were in Florida, in Disney World. Otherwise, you'd just get swept away in the illusion that you were on a savannah, somewhere even farther away from home.
Isn't that the point? They certainly do details well.

Oh no... your poor mom. But count on the toddler to find and exploit every weakness in the room.

Then we had bed rails brought up, because my 17 month old was completely oblivious to the trouble I went through to get that blasted thing set up for him and would undoubtedly end up in my bed in the middle of the night.
You get that too, huh? :headache:

Who could ever get sick of watching giraffes roaming around?

I’ll tell you who…

My kid, that’s who.

Landon liked spotting the animals and pointing them out, but after five minutes he was pulling on my shorts and trying to drag me back into the room.

He was clearly bored and restless and wanted to explore more than the four walls around him.
The view is great. But I can't blame him. Those little legs want to get out and explore!

At least you've got a beautiful resort to go check out.

The 17th was a Sunday.
I have a thing for dates. Plus my daughter started school on the 15th last year. A Friday! Crazy!

Love your trip reports!!

Thank you! I'm weird about dates, too. I like to remember the specific times for some reason.
Starting school on a Friday seems odd. I know I used to start on a Thursday, but at least that gave the teachers 2 full days to go over boring things like paperpwork and seating and class rules before the weekend. One day just seems silly.

Wonderful work around!

:rotfl2::lmao::rotfl: Oh I would die! :rotfl::rotfl2::lmao:

:wizard::wizard::wizard::wizard: Awesome pixie dust!

I would have been tempted to throw a "Nanny Nanny Boo Boo!" their way!

Well that's unfortunate and un magical!

Strange. Maybe that is why you were upgraded.

I was pretty embarrassed by the singing, but I figured if a grown man can belt out the Happy Birthday tune, then I could listen and enjoy it and not concentrate on being mortified.

Maybe that was why we were upgraded. All I know is we've had crazy good luck at AKL. Everyone will be happy to know that does NOT happen all the time, and in February the resort we were staying at gave us the room we booked.

What a great start to the trip! That view is awesome. And good to know about the bedrails. Are they available at all resorts or just the deluxes?

That is one of my favorite views at a Disney resort! i could never get sick of staring at the animals.

I do believe bedrails are available at every resort. I'm 99% positive I got them at Pop Century when I was there in December. And if they are at the values, I can't imagine they aren't at the moderates, too.

I think that was pretty resourceful of you think that you didn't need the physical gift cards, just the codes. Glad you figured out a way to make it work and not stress about paying the extra money for the room you were only upgrading too b/c of getting the gift cards!

How fun to be sung to by the CM at the gate to AKL! If I am ever behind someone at a gate house that seems to be taking an extra long time I will now just assume they are having Happy Birthday being sung to them!

How great that your room was ready - and to get the upgraded room! That is awesome!

Jeez, was it really that big of a deal to the bell hop? I mean, I assume he had a cart and wasn't hauling all your bags at once like a Sherpa.

Always a balancing act between staying and enjoying the view and then actually getting out and doing stuff ..... guess Landon knew what he wanted to do

I'll admit, getting the gift card numbers was one of my better ideas. I was pretty proud that I could save my mom the hassle of not having them/ Think it took a bit of stress off her hands.
I feel like, on Disney trips, a lot of creative ideas are formed and implemented...

That's a good way to look at the gate guard situation. I like it. I'll have to think of that in the future, as well.

The bell hop definitely had a cart he was using for all our stuff. But I guess he was just snippy because we had a lot of junk in general, and he was just pinpointing the easiest thing to complain about. I won't lie, not having to bring it on our last trip was a nice break, but still...

Gotta love when you hear those magical words that your room is ready! That view!! Never gets old does it?

Normally, since it's a 6-7 hour drive to Disney, we arrive in the afternoon, and our room is always ready, so I was really curious to see what it'd be like getting there around 11am. I didn't expect our room to be ready since it was check out time, but I guess luck was on our side that day.

It really doesn't! I'm pretty sure when my kids are older and we're not lugging around strollers and diaper bags anymore, I'll insist on staying at AKL more often. I just love that resort!

Totally brilliant idea with the gift cards!!

Wow, you definitely get some pixie dust when you stay at AKL! That is really awesome that you ended up with a savanna view and that your room was ready upon arrival. I know just how stressful that can be to find something to fill the time until you get into your room with an antsy little one!

That view is totally amazing!

The gift card idea was one of my more creative moments. There's been a few times on Disney trips that I kind of patted myself on the back for some quick thinking, and that was definitely one of them.

I thought I might not love AKL as much staying there for a second time so soon after my first trip, but if anything it made me love the resort even more. I want to stay there again and be able to wake up to giraffes out my window. There's nothing else like it.

So... is the ticker new, or am I just so dense that I've totally missed it? If I'm reading it right, it looks like congratulations are in order!

I never said anything on the DISboards. It plays a big factor in our February trip, that I figured I'd bring it up then when I got to it. Most people just saw it on Facebook and it got to the point that I forgot some people didn't know. But thank you! Landon's gonna be getting a younger sibling come Halloween time. And then the real fun of Disney trips begin....wrangling 2 kiddos in the parks at once! (I know I'm preaching to the choir here.)

And there's no better way to let you know that he fully supported you taking this trip! :thumbsup2

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao: It was definitely a thoughtful gift. And I'm glad that you had a chance to do some shopping for yourself.

That is a good point. I hadn't thought of that before.

That was some good thinking on your part! Not sure I'd have considered that option. I'm glad you were able to make it work.

That is up there with my banana transportation contraption in good ideas while at Disney. If only I could be that fast thinking and creative in my day to day life...

Oh no... your poor mom. But count on the toddler to find and exploit every weakness in the room.

You get that too, huh? :headache:

The view is great. But I can't blame him. Those little legs want to get out and explore!

At least you've got a beautiful resort to go check out.

Landon was really testing his luck in the room that day. At one point, we came around the corner to the bathroom and he was standing on the chair I'd moved. Another time he was dragging the trash can out of the bathroom. At one point he was attempting to pull over the food bag from the top of the table....we were definitely missing 7 month old Landon that sat on the floor and chased his toys around.

My kid has no concept of sleeping in his own bed. Alex gets up for work at 2am and Landon thinks that means he gets to take over his dad's empty spot in the bed. I love the little man, but in the pre-dawn hours I love my space and my sleep even more.

I'm so glad you had no issues with paying off the room (brilliant idea by the way!).

Hey, it's certainly not your fault that the Disney Gods looked down on you and had your room ready for you (we had that good fortune the first time we stayed there). And what a spectacular view. If I didn't love the ability to walk to Epcot and DHS and happen to love the Boardwalk, I'd stay at the AKL every single time.

Toddlers and their need to explore and destroy. :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: Enjoy it...they grow up way too fast.

Alicia, before I get to the update, let me just get a couple things straight...

Your ticker. Does this mean that you actually were able to convince your dad to go to Flower and Garden? And um. FAMILY OF FOUR?! I have a feeling I missed a big announcement somewhere along the line, but CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Oh my goodness. How exciting!!!!

That must have been pretty frustrating and a little scary to think you'd have to pull money from nowhere to pay off your room! I'm glad it worked out in the end though, phew! Great thinking!

Dang girl, another AKL upgrade! That's amazing! I bet a savannah view is absolutely unreal! When we stayed there (which I just realized was happening exactly a year ago) we had a pool view with a savannah window right across the hall, which was amazing enough. But I mean, seeing giraffes from your balcony probably tops that a little. :laughing:

Great idea to pay off the room! I would have never thought of that and just freaked out, haha! :rotfl:

OMG an upgrade! Your view was amazing!!! I love AKL, it's so perfect!

I can't believe how much like a baby Landon looks in these pictures, then I had to remind myself that this is almost a year ago!

I'm so glad you had no issues with paying off the room (brilliant idea by the way!).

Hey, it's certainly not your fault that the Disney Gods looked down on you and had your room ready for you (we had that good fortune the first time we stayed there). And what a spectacular view. If I didn't love the ability to walk to Epcot and DHS and happen to love the Boardwalk, I'd stay at the AKL every single time.

Toddlers and their need to explore and destroy. :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: Enjoy it...they grow up way too fast.

I wanted to tell those other people giving us the dirty looks that I wasn't taking advantage of the upgrade. I was really grateful the CMs were generous and gave us the view. If for no other reason than the fact that my mom got to experience AKL in all its glory. When you take someone to someplace you love, you always want to show them its best face.
The plus side to AKL is I think they actually have more savannah views than standard ones, so odds are someone staying there is gonna get upgraded.

And I agree completely with you. If Landon was a teenager and wasn't biting at the bit to be at MK all the time, we'd stay at AKL every trip.

Explore and destroy, that's a perfect description!

Alicia, before I get to the update, let me just get a couple things straight...

Your ticker. Does this mean that you actually were able to convince your dad to go to Flower and Garden? And um. FAMILY OF FOUR?! I have a feeling I missed a big announcement somewhere along the line, but CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Oh my goodness. How exciting!!!!

That must have been pretty frustrating and a little scary to think you'd have to pull money from nowhere to pay off your room! I'm glad it worked out in the end though, phew! Great thinking!

Dang girl, another AKL upgrade! That's amazing! I bet a savannah view is absolutely unreal! When we stayed there (which I just realized was happening exactly a year ago) we had a pool view with a savannah window right across the hall, which was amazing enough. But I mean, seeing giraffes from your balcony probably tops that a little. :laughing:

Thank you. I actually never wrote anything about my new trip or my announcement. It plays a really big factor in my February trip, so I was just waiting to talk about it then. And as for my dad going, my mom and I are kind of forcing him to go. We're not giving him much of a choice on this one. I'm realizing that I should probably right a short update about the trip because you weren't the only person going, "What?!"

By the way.....how was Disneyland?????? Are you going to write a report for it? Even a short one? I actually miss your reports. I still become envious when I think about your amazing 2 bedroom suite at Bay Lake.

Great idea to pay off the room! I would have never thought of that and just freaked out, haha! :rotfl:

OMG an upgrade! Your view was amazing!!! I love AKL, it's so perfect!

I can't believe how much like a baby Landon looks in these pictures, then I had to remind myself that this is almost a year ago!

AKL is awesome. When I saw you were going to surprise Brandon with a night there, I got so excited for you guys. If only all trips could involve a view of giraffes every morning...

I get such a kick out of editing and positing these pictures, but Landon is so young in them! It's going to be hilarious to see the jump from August to February, because unfortunately for Landon, he grew up a lot in that time period. And now he actually has hair! (And the ability to speak his mind. I'm sure THAT'LL be fun on future trips. )

Before I get back to my August trip, I realized that I created a new ticker for my signature and never really explained it. That was kind of rude of me.

So, here’s what up and coming with my family in terms of Disney.

Next month:

AKA: July

AKA: The hottest month in Florida.

AKA: The month I plan outside activities at 8 o’clock in the morning and 5 o’clock in the afternoon in efforts to avoid the searing hot sun and/or lovely muggy rainshowers.

AKA: The month my family is taking a quick getaway to Disney World!

Yep. We are that nutso.

Actually, we didn’t have much of a choice.

Alex and I wanted to get back to Disney World at some point before this fall, and my mom couldn’t go a whole year without visiting the parks. Plus, the standards for leave changed at the beginning of the year and Alex was informed he has 16.5 use or lose leave days before the last day of September. Yeah, 16.5. He gets 2.5 days a month, and since he was deployed for so long, he wasn’t able to use any of them. Basically, by the end of the fiscal year, you can only have 60 days built up and Alex will end up with 76.5.

So Alex had some leave to take.

It was too late for Alex to request leave for May, and in June the only week available was around Father’s Day, which wouldn’t have been nice to do to my dad. And then even that month was out of the question because too many other people took time off at Alex’s job.

Nobody wanted to go to Disney in early July, because the crowds around the 4th would be crazy. (And, once again, too many people would be getting 3 day weekends to make it possible for Alex to break away.)

So mid-July was kind of chosen for us, and put in the books. (It didn’t hurt that this was the week after Alex’s math class ends, so no homework for him on vacation.) Alex got the time off, and we figured even if we chickened out on the trip, he could still use the time to relax.

Now, before you think we are absolutely out of our minds, let me state our case as to why this little getaway won’t be a complete disaster.

Number 1: We live in Florida. We live with a toddler. The difference in where we are at and Disney is maybe 2-5 degrees. If it’s hot and humid at home, ten to one it’s hot and humid at the parks. And with a 2 year old, I end up outside a lot of the day, anyways. Most of the time, we’re at a park or a splash pad or the beach or my parent’s pool. Even the garage is a popular playground for Landon. The heat doesn’t bother kids, so I just have to adapt and overcome.

So, for that week in July, I am either going to be hot and sweaty and gross in and around my town or in one of the Disney parks.

Number 2: Alex’s family could drive over and visit with us. Two of his siblings live in Orlando and his parents are 45 minutes away. Plenty close to hop over for some quality time with their grandson/nephew.

Number 3: This trip is costing us almost nothing since my mom and I are splitting the costs.

We’re staying at Shades of Green.

The rooms are massive and by sharing it and the cost of gas with my Mom, neither of us are spending much to go.

Number 4: I’m going to get a much appreciated break. Like almost every trip, Alex came at me with an arsenal of reasons why we needed to do this. And this time, his main point was that he could take Landon off my hands a lot of the time and go to the parks while I hung back at the pool. I got the chance to experience Disney with Landon in August and December; this time around Alex could do that. All I have to do is pack extra sunscreen and my favorite flip flops.

And finally, Number 5: Landon needs a haircut.

You can’t really see it in this picture, but my kid definitely has a case of wild and crazy hairs.

Actually, he doesn’t absolutely NEED a cut, more like a trim, but if we don’t do it now, we’d have to wait another 10 months, and Alex refuses to let his son’s hair get that long.

We both have always wanted to get Landon’s first cut at Harmony Barber Shop, which meant we needed to go to Disney to do it.

And, to stretch the case even farther, we kind of wanted one last hurrah with Landon before the fall. His poor little life is going to get turned upside down, and we figured one last vacation as a family of 3 was appropriate.

So there you have it.

My mom, Alex, Landon, and I are all headed to Disney World next month for a couple of nights. We only have 2 dining reservations booked, and I don’t have any set park itineraries planned, so this is going to be slow and relaxed, and hopefully very laid back. Alex and I are getting Annual Passes, and we’re going to celebrate the last chance we have to get Landon in before he’s 3, because next time, he won’t be.

Which leads us to the
BIG TRIP.

May 2016.

THE trip.

Hopefully, the trip that is going to have Alex and I go out with a bang.

My husband and I are working hard to get orders for next summer. We’d love to go overseas, but at this point, we’ll take anywhere. But wherever we head, it’ll be for at least 4 years, so our days of living 6 hours from Walt Disney World are potentially numbered. A trip in May could very well be the last trip we take for at least 2 years.

So we want to make it awesome.

We don’t have any dates set in stone yet, nor do we have the length of the trip nailed down, but we do have a couple of details sorted out

First and foremost, my dad’s FINALLY coming along! Only took us 4 years to get him to do it.

And actually, he never completely agreed. My mom’s just kind of telling him he’s going. We all know once he’s there he’ll have a fantastic time; we just might have to listen to him gripe during the weeks leading up to it…

Our focus will be on:

Epcot’s Flower and Garden Festival!

My favorite yearly event.

Not to sound like a broken record here, but my dad is going to go bonkers over the events, and if we combine that with Star Wars Weekend, he’ll be on Cloud 9.

My parents will be joining Alex and my family either during the last or beginning half of our vacation. My mom’s planning 5 nights at Disney, and we will all hopefully be staying at:

The Beach Club!

Told you this was an all-out trip.

My mom wants her and my dad to be able to walk to Epcot. My dad for the Festival, her for Soarin’. Alex has always dreamed of staying at the Beach Club, and since I’ve gotten to experience all my favorite deluxes, it was time I let Alex have his turn.

It won’t hurt that the Beach Club has Stormalong Bay, which will be the coolest thing ever for a 3 year old Landon.

And for me to be in close proximity to Beaches and Cream? I’ll find a way to survive…

For the second half of our trip (either before or after my parents leave) we are hoping to stay at a resort I’ve been eyeballing for a year or so.

Every single time I visit Art of Animation, I fall in love with the place. I love the food selection at Landscape of Flavors, I love the theming of each building, I love the music piped into the walkways, I just love every single thing about the place.

While the playground is kind of small, it’s still fun for Landon, and I love that the “baby” slides and the “big kids” slides are all on the one feature. Will save me from having to go back and forth between play sets.

And the splash pad: Yeah, that’s another big draw to the resort.

*If you couldn’t tell, I plan my hotel stays around how good the water features are for my kid. The joy of raising him in Florida where’s there’s water almost every place we go.

(Shades of Green just recently renovated their pools and now have an awesome looking kiddie pool. It’s on par with Wilderness Lodge and the Grand Floridian.)

Alex isn’t a huge fan of Art, but I equate that to him not seeing Landon’s fascination with the place while he was gone. I think if he sees how much his son loves it, he’ll come around to it a little more.

My dream would be to stay in a Lion King Suite, but realistically we’re planning on a Little Mermaid room. That might be better, anyways, because I have a feeling once I check into a family suite I’ll never move out.

Disney security will have to drag me away!

That about sums up our upcoming trip plans for the moment. Alex and I are hoping to make it to Universal in May, but that all depends on whether or not his sister and brother can tag along and help with babysitting. I’m also going to try and work in a Sea World visit, since it will most likely be free for us, because I’d love for Alex to try Manta out, but that’s only if we have the time to do it. We’ve got a lot planned and something will probably have to give before it’s all said and done.

I’m sure as the plans start coming along I’ll post more details, on either this report or my future February one. But until then, thanks for listening to the rough outline I’ve got going. A regular update will come sometime early next week.

Last edited:
Trust me, July isn't bad! Like you said, you're already used to the heat and humidity. So might as well deal with it at Disney! :cool2:

The May trip sounds awesome. So believe it or not, last May when I went from staying at AoA to staying at Beach Club, I actually found myself missing AoA. It's just such an awesome resort, and nothing about it (okay, besides the way the bus stops are set up) seems like a value resort. This is not to say that I didn't enjoy Beach Club because I definitely did. You could spend half your day at Stormalong Bay and not even feel guilty about it. :laughing: I think yall will absolutely have a wonderful trip.

Wow, that is some epic planning! I am a cold blooded northerner who doesn't like it when the temperature gets above 75 and we survived Disney in August so I am sure you'll live going in July. Plus, the parks are open late a lot in the summer so you can do more resting / using the pool during the day and parks at night, etc. ... or, you know, just jump in the Fountain of Nations if you are too warm ;)

One of these trips I really want to stay in the Beach or Yacht Club ... proximity to EPCOT and (especially) access to Storm Along Bay!

July is the ONLY month where I haven't been to Disney. Can you believe it? Isn't it the most crowded? I have no idea. I used to go in the summer all the time when my kids were young. Then they got older and we could go in the nice weather. So this August with the family may be a little shocking.

So - did you decide to start a new TR on the end of your old one? I'm so confused, but that might be because I am on the DIS so sporadically.

So yay for a big May trip and the BC and AoA. My brother and his family just got back from AoA and they LOVED it. Sounds like they had a great time and I am sure you will too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter