Let's Watch the Hallucination Show on the Castle- A May '14 TR *12/3 PTR Link to Real Life News

Like Duggette posted I also thought I had responded to the earlier update! Obviously, I'm just going crazy over here. I must ask, what exactly are the "real towels" at the Contemporary resort? Are they actual towels and then you have to put them in some sort of laundry hamper? Plainly, I have never seen how the "other half" lives so I am very confused by this! :)

I was hoping that you'd stay at Animal Kingdom! We ate at Saana on our last trip and I adored the resort. I told my husband that if we ever venture on-site that'd be where I want to stay.

So jealous of your sleeping baby date! With three kids that never happens for us...especially since we have two older kids and our middle son is an awful sleeper. Thankfully, my girls (both older and younger) sleep well!

So glad that the deployment is half over...my husband was deployed when our oldest was 5 months and by the time he in-processed and whatnot she was almost 18 months when he got home! Tiny period of adjustment and of course many years later she has zero memories of him being gone. Is your husband going to be career military? My husband is inactive reserve and is now a police officer. I'm an Army brat, but I must say being in one spot permanently is nice for me! :)

Like Duggette posted I also thought I had responded to the earlier update! Obviously, I'm just going crazy over here. I must ask, what exactly are the "real towels" at the Contemporary resort? Are they actual towels and then you have to put them in some sort of laundry hamper? Plainly, I have never seen how the "other half" lives so I am very confused by this! :)

I was hoping that you'd stay at Animal Kingdom! We ate at Saana on our last trip and I adored the resort. I told my husband that if we ever venture on-site that'd be where I want to stay.

So jealous of your sleeping baby date! With three kids that never happens for us...especially since we have two older kids and our middle son is an awful sleeper. Thankfully, my girls (both older and younger) sleep well!

So glad that the deployment is half over...my husband was deployed when our oldest was 5 months and by the time he in-processed and whatnot she was almost 18 months when he got home! Tiny period of adjustment and of course many years later she has zero memories of him being gone. Is your husband going to be career military? My husband is inactive reserve and is now a police officer. I'm an Army brat, but I must say being in one spot permanently is nice for me! :)

Hahaha, the towels at the Contemporary were just actual hand towels versus the usual paper ones. It was in the restrooms designated for conference goers, and so I'm sure they were more upscale to impress the business folks. :rotfl2:

My husband and I are hoping since Landon will be almost 2 by the time Alex gets home and since he sees him on FaceTime a lot, that Landon won't have a lot of readjusting to do. There will definitely be some, though. He's not going to know what to do when I tell him to "kiss dada goodnight" and I don't hold my phone out to him.:rotfl:

Alex is career military. By the time this enlistment term is up, he'd be closer to retirement time than not, so we both decided to stick it out until then. I am actually an Air Force brat and an Air Force granddaughter, so this life is all I know. I've been in our current city since 2009, and I almost don't know what to do with myself. I feel like I should be moving. (And, actually, Alex and I are getting a bigger place when he gets home. For practical purposes and to fill that moving bug I have. "It's been three years, gotta move the sofas around!":lmao:)

Happy Post-Thanksgiving Weekend, everybody! I hope everyone enjoyed their holidays and are either embracing the shopping madness/avoiding it successfully/breaking out the Christmas decorations. :lmao::rotfl2:

I just wanted to post a really fast update explaining that I haven't abandoned the DISboards these last few weeks. At first I became really busy with day to day things, and then last weekend Landon caught a cold. Naturally, I caught that same cold a day or so later.

And then, on Sunday, Landon came down with the dreaded 24 hour stomach bug. :scared:

I was terrified of that happening while Alex was gone, so I had to call in reinforcements. It was my parents to the rescue!:lmao:

Which was a good thing, because I caught the evil thing Monday night.:sad: My mom was a saint and babysat Landon all Tuesday morning, but unfortunately by that afternoon she came down with it, too.

Needless to say, it was a LONG week at my house. For Thanksgiving, I got one measly slice of turkey and some mashed potatoes, and no pie. :sad2:

Everyone is pretty much feeling better at this point, except I still have the cold that I came down with last week. And by some miracle, my father and younger brother didn't get sick, as well. Not sure how they managed to avoid it, but I'm just grateful they did, because one more day of illness at this house would have been outrageous!

I got on the DIS during Landon's naptime yesterday and started catching up on some Trip Reports, but I later realized I was probably still too out of it to attempt it. I told poor Rob he "threatened" Cast Members instead of "treated" them.

So, if my replies made absolutely no sense and were confusing, I apologize in advance and blame it on the lack of sleep and caffeine deprevation.

And hopefully next week life will start to normalize again and I can write another update. I hate that it's been so long between posts. Landon's going to be reading the wrap up at the rate I'm going. :rotfl2:

ugh, so sorry to hear about the sicknesses. Those can just really rip through a household. Really glad your parents came as having to deal with that on your own is just no fun!

I mean, I know there is talk about how Disney service has gone downhill a bit - but for it to get so bad Rob had to threaten a CM is still kinda hard to believe ;)

Happy Post-Thanksgiving Weekend, everybody! I hope everyone enjoyed their holidays and are either embracing the shopping madness/avoiding it successfully/breaking out the Christmas decorations. :lmao::rotfl2:

I just wanted to post a really fast update explaining that I haven't abandoned the DISboards these last few weeks. At first I became really busy with day to day things, and then last weekend Landon caught a cold. Naturally, I caught that same cold a day or so later.

And then, on Sunday, Landon came down with the dreaded 24 hour stomach bug. :scared:

I was terrified of that happening while Alex was gone, so I had to call in reinforcements. It was my parents to the rescue!:lmao:

Which was a good thing, because I caught the evil thing Monday night.:sad: My mom was a saint and babysat Landon all Tuesday morning, but unfortunately by that afternoon she came down with it, too.

Needless to say, it was a LONG week at my house. For Thanksgiving, I got one measly slice of turkey and some mashed potatoes, and no pie. :sad2:

Everyone is pretty much feeling better at this point, except I still have the cold that I came down with last week. And by some miracle, my father and younger brother didn't get sick, as well. Not sure how they managed to avoid it, but I'm just grateful they did, because one more day of illness at this house would have been outrageous!

I got on the DIS during Landon's naptime yesterday and started catching up on some Trip Reports, but I later realized I was probably still too out of it to attempt it. I told poor Rob he "threatened" Cast Members instead of "treated" them.

So, if my replies made absolutely no sense and were confusing, I apologize in advance and blame it on the lack of sleep and caffeine deprevation.

And hopefully next week life will start to normalize again and I can write another update. I hate that it's been so long between posts. Landon's going to be reading the wrap up at the rate I'm going. :rotfl2:

Ugh. That's horrible that you were all sick! Hope you feel better soon, and cannot wait for more updates!

The worst part of having small children is when they get sick. Of course, its made even worse when YOU get sick. Ugh! I am glad to hear everyone is recovering. Thank goodness for your Mom and Dad. I hope your mom has recovered as well.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that there are no more illnesses over the holiday!!!!!

A little pixie dust won't hurt either! pixiedust:

Oh, wow, that sounds awful! I hope you are all feeling 100% better soon! :goodvibes Being sick is bad, but being sick with a sick little one is even worse! :sad2:

Don't worry, I'm fairly certain Rob knew you meant treat and not threat. :lmao:

Pixie dust to get you feeling better pixiedust:

Oh dear when you said you all have some sickness you weren't kidding. YAY for parents.

:rotfl2: That still kills me and I really do swear I totally missed that. Sometimes you just have to lay down the law, lol. So funny.

Ugh! The stomach virus is the worst thing ever!!!! And it's hard to see your baby throw up! I'm glad you had your parents nearby! That is a blessing

Hope you guys are on the mend soon!!

Yuck. Sorry for the rough week. No apologies necessary, I get it. I hope everyone makes a quick recovery and I'm sorry it made you miss out on the good Thanksgiving food!

Stomach viruses are the worst thing ever! I'm glad everyone is on the road back to full health. Hope it's back up to 100% very soon.
Thank goodness for parents!

ugh, so sorry to hear about the sicknesses. Those can just really rip through a household. Really glad your parents came as having to deal with that on your own is just no fun!

I mean, I know there is talk about how Disney service has gone downhill a bit - but for it to get so bad Rob had to threaten a CM is still kinda hard to believe ;)

Rob would definitely never threaten a Cast Member, and I think that's why it was so hilarious. Out of everyone, I picked the least likely person.:rotfl2:

Ugh. That's horrible that you were all sick! Hope you feel better soon, and cannot wait for more updates!

Thanks! We're all better now. And I actually wrote an update. I'm hoping to get back to writing more often now that I don't feel like death anymore.:lmao:

The worst part of having small children is when they get sick. Of course, its made even worse when YOU get sick. Ugh! I am glad to hear everyone is recovering. Thank goodness for your Mom and Dad. I hope your mom has recovered as well.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that there are no more illnesses over the holiday!!!!!

A little pixie dust won't hurt either! pixiedust:

I think I'll cry if I'm sick for Christmas, too! I want turkey and stuffing and holiday cookies!:rotfl2:

Oh, wow, that sounds awful! I hope you are all feeling 100% better soon! :goodvibes Being sick is bad, but being sick with a sick little one is even worse! :sad2:

Don't worry, I'm fairly certain Rob knew you meant treat and not threat. :lmao:

Pixie dust to get you feeling better pixiedust:

I remember telling Alex before he left, "I'll be fine, so long as I don't catch a bug and have to be sick AND take care of Landon on my own."

Famous last words...

Oh dear when you said you all have some sickness you weren't kidding. YAY for parents.

:rotfl2: That still kills me and I really do swear I totally missed that. Sometimes you just have to lay down the law, lol. So funny.

Haha, if anything it made me be like, "Oh gosh, what did I say to everyone else? I've got to go back and proofread all my replies!":rotfl:

Ugh! The stomach virus is the worst thing ever!!!! And it's hard to see your baby throw up! I'm glad you had your parents nearby! That is a blessing

Hope you guys are on the mend soon!!

I think the worst part about Landon being sick was when he started to feel better, and he wanted water desperately. I could only give him a swallow or two at a time, and he just didn't understand why. Watching him grab the cup and tip it back to catch every last drop broke my heart.

Oh the life of mommyhood! Hang in there sweetie!

I don't think I've ever been sick more often than I have been since Landon was born. Kids are walking colds!:lmao:

Yuck. Sorry for the rough week. No apologies necessary, I get it. I hope everyone makes a quick recovery and I'm sorry it made you miss out on the good Thanksgiving food!

I was super bummed about missing out on Thanksgiving. Food is serious business with me. But, I will be super cautious before Christmas so it doesn't happen again.

Stomach viruses are the worst thing ever! I'm glad everyone is on the road back to full health. Hope it's back up to 100% very soon.
Thank goodness for parents!

Everyone is back in tip top shape now, thank goodness. We'll all be too happy if we don't catch that crud ever again.

What is this? An update? Hard to believe. Everyone in my family is feeling better, and we have been busy playing catch-up. It's hard to believe I get so much done in a week, but being out of commission for that long really put my To-Do's into perspective. Thank goodness for long naptimes and early bedtimes, otherwise I have no idea when I'd churn out my posts!

Tuesday, May 13th, 2014:

Landon woke up me up at 6 a.m. Someone forgot to give him the memo that he went to bed late the night before and that it was vacation. We didn't HAVE to wake up before the sun if we didn't want to.

I was prepared for that to happen, though, so I got up with him and made myself some coffee and got him changed and dressed. It was unbelievably convenient having a coffee pot in the room with us. I could get it brewing while I took care of Landon and drink it while he played with his toys.

Unlike at all the values, where I would have had to change outfits, put Landon in the stroller, and walk down to the food court with a refillable mug, this coffee was right on hand. Another major brownie point in Animal Kingdom Lodge's favor.

It didn't take long for Landon to discover the mirror attached to the bathroom door. Immediately, it became his favorite thing in the room.

He would run to his toys, play with them for a second, stop, turn around, and run right back to the mirror. The kid thought it was hilarious that there was a doppelganger baby staying with us that smiled and laughed at all his jokes.

He was having such a good time that all I had to do was keep our sliding glass door open and talk to him occasionally, and I was allowed a nice morning chill session out on the balcony.

It was the most peaceful part of my entire day, and when Alex woke up a half hour later, I got to take in the atmosphere without being on babysitting duty.

When I dreamed of waking up in a deluxe hotel, that was precisely what I imagined it would be like. Enjoying a spectacular view with a good cup of coffee and my loved ones nearby. Already, all my dreams about the place had come true, and I could have checked out that morning feeling like I got the "deluxe" experience.

If there was one thing that could break me away from such a great spot, it was our morning destination. A couple weeks before our trip, I managed to snag a 9:10 a.m. reservation for the Crystal Palace. It was one of the few restaurants Alex and I really hoped to get an ADR at, because last trip Landon loved Winnie the Pooh and we wanted to recreate the first meet.

So, a little reluctantly on my part, we all left the resort.

I'm not sure why, but I took a picture of the time and temperature that morning.

f1 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

I was either trying to remember how early it was in our day or how hot it already was. Almost 80 degrees and the sun had just barely risen...It was going to be a scorcher!

We parked at the TTC; I insisted on taking a photo of this:

f2 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

Simply because I always get so excited when I walk by it. It means we're close to getting within the Magic Kingdom.

And amazingly we caught a monorail with minimum wait and virtually no crowds.

Hello, train station! It's good to see you again!

Because our breakfast wasn't until after park opening, Alex and I had every intention of seeing the Welcome Show that morning. Alex has never seen it before, and he wanted to cross it off his bucket list. But when we got up to the ticket not-turnstiles the Cast Member working informed us that if we wanted, we could still get into the park early.

Ahh!

Decision time.

"What do you wanna do?" I asked Alex.
"I don't care, it's up to you."

"Do you want to see the show or do you want to walk around Main Street?"
"I really don't care either way."

Ugh.

That's the story of our lives. If someone were to eavesdrop in on one of our conversations at Disney, they'd hear a lot of Alex going, "Whatever, doesn't matter to me," and a lot of "AGH! Just make a decision!" by me.

True fact.

I ended up just pushing Alex and the stroller through to the "holding pen" part of the entrance. Landon was starting to cry because he wanted out of the stroller, and I figured we would stick with what we'd originally planned to do.

Since this trip was back in May, the whole Anna and Elsa Meet and Greet system wasn't quite perfected yet. They'd just moved over to Princess Hall, and people were waiting five hours in their standby lines. So when Alex and I parked our stroller in an open spot, I couldn't help but giggle at the way guests were congregating.

No middle area for these guys! Everyone wanted to be as close as possible to the two tunnel entrances.

Forget the awesome viewing location for the Welcome Show, we gotta get to the Frozen girls ASAP.

It just made me laugh and caused me to wonder if we were the only two adults there that actually cared about seeing the park open.

No matter. Everyone has their "Must Dos" at Disney. Ours at that exact second?

Have some fun!

I got Landon out of his stroller and let him have complete freedom of the area. If nobody else wanted to use that space, why let it go to waste?

The best morning ever!
Landon's philosophy, at least.

We had to rein him in once to sunscreen him up, but other than that the kid got to run and frolic to his heart's content.

Landon had only been walking for about 6 weeks prior to the vacation, so I still had to be close by to catch him when his little legs gave out. His tiny little body just couldn't keep up with his energy sometimes!

Alex and I stood around for approximately 30 minutes, watching as more and more people began forming a crowd behind us. It became too congested for any more free roaming, so all the fun of the morning had evaporated.

And it was hot.
So, so hot.

I looked at Alex.

Alex looked at me.

We both looked down at a very grumpy Landon.

The Welcome Show would have to wait, yet again. If we were going to melt under the scorching sun, at least we were going to do it in an empty space without a thousand other people squeezing us closer to the front of the line.

We hopped out of our spots and went around to the side of the entrance, where a Cast Member was standing with a clipboard and a list of people with breakfast reservations. He was a friendly fellow, and he made a joke with us about our last name, then he found our name and told us we were permitted to go inside. Alex got a quick peek at the ADR list and saw that so long as you have a 9:20am ADR, you are allowed into the park before it's open. That's good information to know, just in case all the pre-opening times are taken.

The Magic Kingdom in the morning. Is there a better sight? I'm not sure. Well, maybe Epcot in the morning.

Or Animal Kingdom.

Okay, okay, I guess there is.

Sorry, guys, better luck next time.

All right, kiddo, you've got an entire street in the Magic Kingdom to yourself.

What do you want to do? You wanna see the castle? Run down the middle as fast you can? Dance in front of the partner's statue?

Play on the curb?

Oh, all right. Whatever makes you happy, I suppose.

That step was a big hit with our kid. No matter where we plopped him down, all Landon wanted to do was climb up and down that step. You'd have thought he'd never seen a curb before.

Updated in Next Post:

Last edited:
Continued From Previous Post:

See? Going right back to them.

And if it weren't the sidewalk, it was the trolley tracks:

Basically, anything and everything that prevented us from taking great family shots.

Time to drag him away.

In between baby corralling, I did steal a second to take a good long look at Cinderella's Castle. The structure never ceases to amaze me.

By this point, an amazing Photopass Photographer named Lily turned her attention to Landon and began snapping pictures of him as he played. We didn't ask her to, she just noticed how much fun he was having and sat down on his level to get some good shots.

She was so incredibly nice, and she got a couple lovely shots for us.

Even a family shot:

Which I'm glad she thought to do, because I wouldn't have remembered. My brain was too scattered that morning.

We left her for a few minutes and got closer to the castle to let Landon play around some benches.

Crooked castle.

If there's one thing Alex is good at, it's bringing a smile to Landon's face.

We had awhile, still, until our Crystal Palace reservation, but we knew the park was about to open, and we didn't want to be caught having to walk against the flow of traffic. So, we headed back down the street and towards the path that would take us to the restaurant.

Lily spotted us again as we walked by and said something to Alex, causing him to stop and start chatting with her. He felt compelled to tell her what a great CM we found her to be, and how much we appreciated the time she took taking pictures of Landon. The conversation turned to Alex being in the military and her informing us that her son was trying to go into the Navy, and how she was worried about him being gone for long periods of time.

Alex was happy to talk to her about the military and give her tips on how to deal with absences and other various topics. Right as they were wrapping up their talk, we noticed what looked like every Cast Member on property lining up near the flag pole.

Lily told us that because of the Frozen Meet and Greet mayhem, Disney was forced to change their opening system. Because people (Cast Members included) were getting trampled and run over, all Disney employees had to walk in a line down to the hub so that nobody could run or create a mad dash down the street.

It was nutso!

Also a little scary. The PP photographers were actually told they had to get out of the street while everyone went past, it had been that bad.

I could safely say I was very relieved we'd decided to enter the park ahead of time and could watch the madness from a safe distance.

Up Next: I'm Going to Say You Like Bacon

Last edited:
We've been out of town for the holidays and I'm just now finding time to play catch-up.

First off, I am sorry to hear that the sickness spread like wildfire through your family. I know that you are glad that that whole ordeal is over and done.

Second, even though you didn't "do" a whole lot at Epcot, it sounds like you had a wonderful time. With kids, it's hard to spend quality time with your spouse so it's great to have some one-on-one with them. And, you had the perfect setting...Epcot!

I think that you guys made a wise decision to enter the park early. I sure wouldn't have wanted to be caught up in the hordes of people trying to get into the park at rope drop. That little man of your's makes me smile every single time I see him. The pictures of him playing in an empty Main Street are simply adorable.

Landon was so cute that day. I remember how he was getting into everything and Alex just kept picking him up and redirecting him.

Yay for getting in the park early. I think I would have chosen that as well. I can't remember what time our ADR was that morning or whether we saw the opening show. Yikes! I'm going to have to look back at my pictures.

Glad you and Landon have recovered from being ill! :goodvibes

Wow... interesting to see the Frozen chaos from that perspective... and from a safe distance. :eek: :rotfl2:

I'm sorry that you missed out on the welcome show! I can't believe Alex has never seen it! One of my favorite things. It always sets the perfect tone for a morning at MK!

I'm glad to see that Landon got some time to explore Main Street at his leisure! :rotfl:

By the way... what were the small roped off squares in Main Street in the pictures looking back towards the Frozen rush? :confused3

The picture of Landon looking in the mirror is way precious!

Coffee in a deluxe before going to MK sounds like a dream!

That is great you guys got to let Landon roam around freely before all the mayhem ensued! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter