Lets use this thread to track Port Upgrades

This thread will be similar to the one that is tracking *GT assignment. The hope is that once we build some history people might have a better idea of what they will pay if they seek a port upgrade.

#1. What catagory did you pay for?
(please make sure you put the catagory you paid for and not the catagory you were assigned. For *GT reservations please put whether it was IGT, OGT or VGT).
#2. Which Ship?
#3. Number of Nights?
#4. Month/Year of Sailing?
#5. What was your Port of Arrival time assignment?
#6. What time did you check-in?
#7. What catagory were you offered for upgrade?
#8. How much was the upgrade?

If there is anything I left off please let me know. It would be great to get this info from anyone who has even attempted an upgrade regardless of whether you accepted or not. The more data the more prepared we will be when we attempt a port upgrade.:)

#1. 11A IGT
#2. Magic
#3. 8 Nights
#4. July 2012
#5. 11 a.m.
#6. 11 a.m.
#7. 10C When we got our room assignment I noticed we were upgraded. There were no upgrades available once on board.
#8. Free :)

#1. What catagory did you pay for? IGT - assigned 11C
(please make sure you put the catagory you paid for and not the catagory you were assigned. For *GT reservations please put whether it was IGT, OGT or VGT).
#2. Which Ship? Dream
#3. Number of Nights? 4
#4. Month/Year of Sailing 10/21/12
#5. What was your Port of Arrival time assignment? 11am but we were on a b2b
#6. What time did you check-in? 10am
#7. What catagory were you offered for upgrade? 9B
#8. How much was the upgrade? $440... We laughed and said no! A verandah (I think 6A) was approx $600. If you wanted a 1 bedroom suite the price was $2500.

#1. What catagory did you pay for? 9B
#2. Which Ship? Fantasy
#3. Number of Nights? 7
#4. Month/Year of Sailing Sept 29, 2012
#5. What was your Port of Arrival time assignment? 11 am?
#6. What time did you check-in? Probably 10:45 or so. Checked in at the airport and was first off the second bus from MCO. We were early but there were definitely a few people ahead of us at the Supervisor's Desk. We got the last available one bedroom.
#7. What catagory were you offered for upgrade? V or T
#8. How much was the upgrade? We went with the upgrade to T (one bedroom concierge) for $2170.
We were trying to upgrade our second room, which was a 7A, assuming it would be less. After trying for awhile and not understanding why it wasn't working, the CM realized that room had been booked as an OGT so she would only be able to upgrade that as a 9D (lowest category guaranteed for OGT). Just pointing this out because it looks like some people have had success upgrading from the cat they were assigned, which is clearly not something you should count on. So, obviously, we then did the upgrade from the 9B room. But before we figured it out, I asked for pricing upgrade options for cat T, V, and 4 from both 9B and 7A. They follow:
From a 9B to cat T (one bedroom concierge) was $2170
From a 9B to cat V (standard verandah concierge) was $1470
From a 9B to cat 4 (largest verandah room without being concierge) was $945

From a 7A to cat T (one bedroom concierge) was $1925
From a 7A to cat V (standard verandah concierge) was $1225
From a 7A to cat 4 (largest verandah room without being concierge) was $700

We were thrilled but now fear, like many have mentioned, that we won't be able to cruise without concierge again... Seriously, do take that possibility into account when deciding whether or not to upgrade.

#1. What catagory did you pay for? 9B
#2. Which Ship? Fantasy
#3. Number of Nights? 7
#4. Month/Year of Sailing Sept 29, 2012
#5. What was your Port of Arrival time assignment? 11 am?
#6. What time did you check-in? Probably 10:45 or so. Checked in at the airport and was first off the second bus from MCO. We were early but there were definitely a few people ahead of us at the Supervisor's Desk. We got the last available one bedroom.
#7. What catagory were you offered for upgrade? V or T
#8. How much was the upgrade? We went with the upgrade to T (one bedroom concierge) for $2170.
We were trying to upgrade our second room, which was a 7A, assuming it would be less. After trying for awhile and not understanding why it wasn't working, the CM realized that room had been booked as an OGT so she would only be able to upgrade that as a 9D (lowest category guaranteed for OGT). Just pointing this out because it looks like some people have had success upgrading from the cat they were assigned, which is clearly not something you should count on. So, obviously, we then did the upgrade from the 9B room. But before we figured it out, I asked for pricing upgrade options for cat T, V, and 4 from both 9B and 7A. They follow:
From a 9B to cat T (one bedroom concierge) was $2170
From a 9B to cat V (standard verandah concierge) was $1470
From a 9B to cat 4 (largest verandah room without being concierge) was $945

From a 7A to cat T (one bedroom concierge) was $1925
From a 7A to cat V (standard verandah concierge) was $1225
From a 7A to cat 4 (largest verandah room without being concierge) was $700

We were thrilled but now fear, like many have mentioned, that we won't be able to cruise without concierge again... Seriously, do take that possibility into account when deciding whether or not to upgrade.

Ok that doesn't make sense to me!!! Right now, the booking difference between a 9B and Cat 4 for my cruise April 13 2013 is between $800-$900 for the Fantasy and you're quoting $945???? That's not a deal at all.

I thought the port upgrades tended to be at least 30% off.

Yes, I just confirmed it by going to disneycruise dot com. A 9B for our cruise 2 adults 2 teens

$5198

A 4D is

$5786

A 4A is

$6010

And the previous poster was quoting from a September cruise which are usually low in attendance. Not sure why port quotes are so high.

#1. What catagory did you pay for? assigned 8a
#2. Which Ship? Dream
#3. Number of Nights? 4
#4. Month/Year of Sailing 10/21/12
#5. What was your Port of Arrival time assignment? 11am
#6. What time did you check-in? 10:45 am
#7. What catagory were you offered for upgrade? OOV
#8. How much was the upgrade? $680, (1 bedroom $1,250)
We took the OOV :thumbsup2

Ok that doesn't make sense to me!!! Right now, the booking difference between a 9B and Cat 4 for my cruise April 13 2013 is between $800-$900 for the Fantasy and you're quoting $945???? That's not a deal at all.
I thought the port upgrades tended to be at least 30% off.
Yes, I just confirmed it by going to disneycruise dot com. A 9B for our cruise 2 adults 2 teens
$6010
A 4D is
$5786
A 4A is
$5198
And the previous poster was quoting from a September cruise which are usually low in attendance. Not sure why port quotes are so high.

You're both right. Before I went to port, I had been tracking the difference in price between what I paid and the cost of doing an upgrade to the different cabins beforehand. The difference between what I paid for a 9B and a 4E upgrade was $910. (And the difference in price would have been even more if I had paid for a *GTY category. Which, I just realized, wouldn't matter because you can't upgrade those rooms until you get to port anyway...) Okay, back on topic: difference beforehand was $910. At the port, to go from 9B to 4x (not sure which cat of "4" it was) was $945. At the time I was kind of focused on trying to get to concierge (hoping for a T) and didn't realize how bogus that was until later so I didn't ask about it.
Here's what I think: It sounds like upgrading from an inside or ocean view to verandah, for example, is not really that great of a deal. From what I've read--and from what I experienced at port--the real deals are as you get higher. The difference to upgrade beforehand from 9B to V was $3101 and from 9B to T was $5971. At port, those upgrades were $1470 (47% of the pre-cruise upgrade cost) and $2170 (only 36% of the pre-cruise upgrade cost), respectively. As you can see, you save more percentage-wise by going higher--but you're still ultimately spending more money. The Royals weren't available but from what I've read, that's actually an even better deal in terms of the percent-off you're getting, but it still ultimately brings in more money to Disney...
Either way, the specific port upgrade prices I listed were indeed what I was offered and I quoted correctly.

You're both right. Before I went to port, I had been tracking the difference in price between what I paid and the cost of doing an upgrade to the different cabins beforehand. The difference between what I paid for a 9B and a 4E upgrade was $910. (And the difference in price would have been even more if I had paid for a *GTY category. Which, I just realized, wouldn't matter because you can't upgrade those rooms until you get to port anyway...) Okay, back on topic: difference beforehand was $910. At the port, to go from 9B to 4x (not sure which cat of "4" it was) was $945. At the time I was kind of focused on trying to get to concierge (hoping for a T) and didn't realize how bogus that was until later so I didn't ask about it.
Here's what I think: It sounds like upgrading from an inside or ocean view to verandah, for example, is not really that great of a deal. From what I've read--and from what I experienced at port--the real deals are as you get higher. The difference to upgrade beforehand from 9B to V was $3101 and from 9B to T was $5971. At port, those upgrades were $1470 (47% of the pre-cruise upgrade cost) and $2170 (only 36% of the pre-cruise upgrade cost), respectively. As you can see, you save more percentage-wise by going higher--but you're still ultimately spending more money. The Royals weren't available but from what I've read, that's actually an even better deal in terms of the percent-off you're getting, but it still ultimately brings in more money to Disney...
Either way, the specific port upgrade prices I listed were indeed what I was offered and I quoted correctly.

This is very useful info. I have been thinking the same thing as I have started tracking these. Still hoping for more data on those that were offered upgrades other than concierge.

I'm glad you knew what I meant 'cause I had put the quotes with the wrong catagories above and just fixed them. lol

I guess you're right about going from a 9 to a 4. I was thinking about upgrading at the port. I still may ask about it to report it back to the boards. We had a son's friend with us last cruise so we were five in a cat 4. First time higher than cat. 9 for the rest of us. I thought we would yearn for it again but I have an autistic son who's very independent and am afraid of him out on the balcony while the ship is moving. Although I don't worry about him on top deck, go figure!

#1. What catagory did you pay for? paid for 8D
#2. Which Ship? Dream
#3. Number of Nights? 3
#4. Month/Year of Sailing 10/25/12
#5. What was your Port of Arrival time assignment? none - we are platinum
#7. What catagory were you offered for upgrade? Categories 4 & 1 bedroom suite
#8. How much was the upgrade? 1 bedroom suite was $885. Cateogry 4 was $300. We took the 1 bedroom suite.

The room was beautiful and the concierge service was fantastic, but I think the upgrade prices were lower than normal due to many Hurricane Sandy cancellations Disney was getting.

We were on the same sailing as the post above! :)

#1. What catagory did you pay for? 7A
#2. Which Ship?Dream
#3. Number of Nights? 3
#4. Month/Year of Sailing October 25,2012
#5. What was your Port of Arrival time assignment? 1100
#6. What time did you check-in? 1100
#7. What catagory were you offered for upgrade? 5B and 1 bedroom Suite
#8. How much was the upgrade? 105 for 5B and 830 for Suite, took the 5B

#1. What catagory did you pay for? assigned 8D
#2. Which Ship? Dream
#3. Number of Nights? 3
#4. Month/Year of Sailing 10/25/12
#5. What was your Port of Arrival time assignment? none - we are platinum
#7. What catagory were you offered for upgrade? Categories 4 & V (1 bedroom)
#8. How much was the upgrade? Category V (1 bedroom) was $885. Cateogry 4 was $300
We took the Category V (1 bedroom)

The room was beautiful and the concierge service was fantastic, but I think the upgrade prices were lower than normal due to many Hurricane Sandy cancellations Disney was getting.

FYI a Cat V is not a 1 bedroom. It is the same size as the Cat 4's, but just concierge.

FYI a Cat V is not a 1 bedroom. It is the same size as the Cat 4's, but just concierge.

Thanks for catching my error...maybe I am still feeling the effects of my rocky cruise! I edited my posting above to clarify so the information is correct.

:offtopic:

Just another obnoxious post by me. :lmao:
This thread is depressing for those that happened to pay full price.

But I'll share my non port upgrade experience just to buck the nice trend.;) And as a reference point.

Paid outrageous retail price willingly.
Accepted said ludicrous price mentally.
Weeks later flipped out that paid soooo much.
Dreamt about some kind of major natural disaster , so I could redact.

Finally accepted reality , even after *GT released.:(
Finally boarded ship and had a blast and never thought about what I, or anyone paid, whether retail or *GT, which was a surprise.:thumbsup2

I'll be sure to never visit again, because I'm a fool , and pay retail.:lmao:
How depressing.:headache: But not really. We had fun.
Good Bye :)
:goodvibes

:offtopic:

Paid outrageous retail price willingly.
Accepted said ludicrous price mentally.
Weeks later flipped out that paid soooo much.
Dreamt about some kind of major natural disaster , so I could redact.

Finally accepted reality , even after *GT released.:(
Finally boarded ship and had a blast and never thought about what I, or anyone paid, whether retail or *GT, which was a surprise.:thumbsup2

:goodvibes

lol:lmao: That's funny!

You're always taking a chance when you do something like this. You have to be able to live with the lower catagory when you start out which I can. That's what these boards do-provide information which gives you a chance at a better deal than those who don't read these boards.

I had two WDW trips before I learned how to rent from a DVC Owner. Now I think about the first stay at All Star Sports and the second (free dining but still $$$$) at Wilderness Lodge. I loved both those trips, but am glad to rent at AKV now for the price of an All Star Resort any day!

#1. What catagory did you pay for? 5B
#2. Which Ship?Magic
#3. Number of Nights? 7
#4. Month/Year of Sailing November 3rd 2012
#5. What was your Port of Arrival time assignment? 11:30
#6. What time did you check-in? 11:00
#7. What catagory were you offered for 4A
#8. How much was the upgrade? $455.00

1. Paid for 9C GT
2. Magic
3. 7 nights
4. October 27
5. Port arrival time 11:30
6. Got in upgrade line around 11:00
7. Offered 4A -$980 or the last 1bedroom $2200. Took the 1 bedroom! I didn't really want to spend that much, but had a GREAT time!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!