Let’s help new pin traders avoid the cheap pins

I don't want to trash ebay as a source for pins. This is my first post, but I hate fake pins too.

When I first started collecting pins, I bought a lot of Sedesma & EuroDisney pins on ebay that even had some that were not in pinpics as an actual pin or a counterfeit pin. I have seen a couple of them nowhere.

I also got 30 Sedesma 101 Dalmations pins new on a one large card (30 pins on one card) for $30 plus shipping on ebay. Sedesma are lower quality, but legal to trade. The pins were very cute since they were of the 101 Dalmations puppies in various poses. They were absolutely new on card in plastic packaging. I didn't know at the time that they were less desirable, but have traded some of them through pinpics to 101 Dalmations pin collectors. However, I have not traded them at a park. I would have no problem doing so because I know they are legal to trade and some people actually do want them.

However, I have bought pins from two collectors who were getting out of collecting on ebay. The pins were new on their original cards with the correct SKU's. I also bought a lot of Disney Store pins that were still in their original packaging for less than $2 a pin through one of those "ISOLDIT" franchises on ebay. You have too look carefully, but there are legitimate sellers on ebay. Sometimes the lots just don't get bid up to a high price. I paid $2.54 a pin and $2.65 a pin (including shipping) from one collector getting out of collecting. I also bought a lot of 25 pins for a "Buy it now" price of $105 with shipping/insurance of $10. There were six of the California Park LE pins from 2001 that were signed by the designing artist in that $105 lot. Just be careful when buying on ebay.

I have recently bought a lot of pins from maxludlow on ebay. They are on their original cards in original packaging. I checked pinpics for what is supposed to be on the back of each pin and they are correct. I am going to trade them with a clear conscience. I got them for $1.59 each including shipping. Just be careful, but good pin lots CAN be bought on ebay. I have bought bad lots and good lots and now steer towards the individual selling off a collection or an "ISoldIt" sort of place. "sellandship" on ebay has some sort of connection to get merchandise from WDW and often sells pin lots or LE pins individually. I bought a Disney watch from "sellandship".

I'm new to pin collecting and only want pins of the Doc character from Snow White. Are there many out there? Does anyone have a list, preferably with photos? That would provide a nice "check sheet" while I hunt for all the ones on the list.

We were there for St. Patrick's Day a few years ago, and for Valentine's Day another time and picked up 10 extra pins because they were special holidays. Are these worth more than regular pins, or should we just trade them with CM like usual? The only trading my kids have ever done is with CM's. We're headed down in May and sorting through what are "keepers" and what are "traders". Any help would be appreciated.

We bought two of the Animal Kingdom 1998 Framed pin sets (0010969115 - limited edition of 700) and (00109414133) Limited Edition enamel pin set commemorates the inauguration of Disney's Animal Kingdom, opened in the spring of 1998.

Haven't been able to find out how much they're worth now. Any ideas of where to look for that info?

Many, many thanks in advance!

I'm new to pin collecting and only want pins of the Doc character from Snow White. Are there many out there? Does anyone have a list, preferably with photos? That would provide a nice "check sheet" while I hunt for all the ones on the list.

Try going to pinpics and enter "doc" in the search box.

If you're also interested in pins that INCLUDE doc, you might also want to search using the word "dwarves". I did this and found some pins that contained all the dwarves and another pin that Snow White and all the dwarves.

has anyone dealt with this seller on eb-ay (kather99), she seems to have good feedback and when i asked her if the pins were tradeable she said yes and had no problems with them.

I've bought from her before and was able to trade her pins at WDW with no problems. :thumbsup2

Will people trade Jerry Leigh pins? I just ordered a new one from ebay. Being new to this, I didn't know that some pins are better than others? The pin is really cute and it says it's brand new . . . seems tradeable to me? Help!::MinnieMo

Well, this tip is less about avoiding cheap pins, but to avoid a bad eBay seller. This seller is thinkerbell102. I'm only saying this as I bought 14 pins from her between the 18th January and the 24th January. Once I payed for them all, they disappeared from contact for a matter of weeks, and a dispute was filed through paypal. They then suddenly appeared again and the pins were apparently sent on the 11th February with the cheapest option of international shipping with no insurance. Now, I payed about $16 for the total postage, which would have been enough to upgrade to a faster shipping but I'm still here, waiting for my pins to arrive.

Although it maybe easier for you guys in the states to buy from her, I've had contact with another Dis'er who wasn't pleased with them either.

I absolutely second this post- it was not at all a positive experience for me and in the end paypal dealt with her- I didn't leave any feedback on her though because people said if I left negative on her - she would leave negative on me- I am pretty new to this so didn't relaly know what to do-Jen

Thanks to everyone for all the info given regarding pins on posts back.

I am wondering if anyone has used have-a-magical-day for any pin purchases on ebay.
I'm looking at a pin item number:360057356615

I know great feedback is not a perfect indicator. Other buyers may not have realized they didn't get a genuine pin, and any returns and refunds for those who did notice the pin was a knock-off are not included in feedback since once the item is returned and refund given, you can't leave feedback.

I went to the pinpics site and found it listed as 43584. The description says: Backstamped with the 2005 Official Pin Trading stamp - no edition size noted.
It stated this pin was handed out at WDW and Disneyland when turning in a tour card.

My concern was this was mentioned by pinpics:
Note: Dizpins lists this pin as one sold
on Scrapper lists from China. Authentic
pins can only be determined when they are
known to have come directly from Disney

If the backstamp is there can it still be a scrapper or are most scrappers missing a backstamp?

Horse - Scrappers will still have a backstamp. The backstamp is usually not "right", but it will have one. You can always ask the seller for a detailed photo of the back of the pin.

Horse - Scrappers will still have a backstamp. The backstamp is usually not "right", but it will have one. You can always ask the seller for a detailed photo of the back of the pin.

Thanks so much for a quick reply :)

The problem is that I have nothing to compare a pic of the back of the pin to. I have no idea of how many of this particular pin were released. It's a different pin than the Limited Edition of 300 pins. I saw he sold/has for sale 6 of this style pin as far as I can look back in completed and pending sales or feedback. If this pin was handed out in tremendous amounts at the two parks, then him having 6 pins is nothing.

I guess it will be cross my fingers and wish for the best. Maybe I can try and find on the internet what the 2005 Official Pin Trading Stamp looks like. I don't like being taken and nor do I like to help keep dishonest sellers in business. I do want to keep the good ones on ebay by giving them my business. Who would think this could be so complicated?

Having looked at the pin and realising its a VMK pin, is it worth going over to the VMK board and asking if anyone has this pin and would kindly take a picture of the back of it, and then ask the ebay seller to do the same, then you can compare the two. It might work.

Ooops! The items already finished, I guess that isn't much help now.

I was going to ask their help next. I went on the web last night and couldn't find a pic of what a 2005 Pin Trading stamp looks like. Hopefully, I can find somebody who has the pin and is able to pm me a pic of the back.

I came here first because of the knowledge of Disney pins that the posters have. It seems many of you know who the reputable sellers are and can tell if a seller seems to be selling real or fake pins just by looking at their listings. Thanks again for good advice!

hi, just wanted to let you all know.......we just got back from our trip and all our pin-castle pins were traded without question or hesitation by all CMs....

the only thing and this makes no difference to us....some of the CMs did not want the beige pin backs provided with the pin-castle pins and kept their own black mickey head backs instead.

thanks for the advice.....I'd use pin-castle again....both lots of 10 were less than $30 including shipping.........well worth it!!!

also, just FYI cause this was new to us........my DS tried to trade with a CM but she wouldn't take the pin he offered because she already had one like it on her lanyard. This happened just was we were about to get on the moving side-walk thingy on one of the rides......he wasn't able to get another pin out for her in time and we couldn't go through the whole line again just to trade. DS was very upset and I thought the CM handled it badly......I know she was busy but she didn't try to apologize or accomodate him in the least. I thought I had seen CMs in the past with 2 of the same pin but I guess I was wrong.

Thanks again!! :wave2:

:)

I just bid on a lot of 10 pins on e-bay. Could someone take a look at Item number: 260325271214? It said no sedesma, propins, or europins.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter