Let’s help new pin traders avoid the cheap pins

EpcotMatt

DIS Veteran
I was just browsing ebay checking out some pins & came across several that were obvious “cheap” pins. I then thought of all of the postings on the DIS where new pin traders ended up with the Sedesmas or ProPins or other cheapos that clog up CM lanyards & basically can ruin the hobby. So I thought, why not start a thread for newbies to ask about certain pins. My thought was if anyone was thinking of purchasing some pins on ebay & were unsure as to their legitimacy, they could post the item# here, & the pin veterans could respond as to whether they were legit or not. Hopefully this doesn’t violate any DIS regulations. If it’s cool, then I open the floor to prospective pin collectors. :thumbsup2

I try to find 10-15 pin lots that someone is trying to liquidate their own collection.

I pay between $2 to $3 dollars unless they have some keepers that I want .I have had great luck and have about 30 more traders under my bed for our trips we give DD 2 pins a day to trade.If she wants anymore she has to pay for them.

A pin allowance- Brilliant, she says imitating the Guiness Brewmaster. DH & DS went through some ungodly 25 pins last trip ( a great e-bay buy and some discounted pins from dis shopping w/ free shipping-yay!) and still on the last day I had to buy a set of 4 for them. I traded exactly 2 pins the freakin 4 days!!! But those boys are bound and determined to get every Cast lanyard pin in existence. They were really ticked when I pointed out 2 they didn't know were CL's because they were pre-hidden mickey. "how did you know that?" Because I'm the mom and moms know EVERYTHING! I am omniscient. No, they are probably from the only 2 series I could peg from memory but it keeps them reverent. I am definitely going to have to figure out an allowance system to keep them in check. Also, I agree, I do not want a bunch of crappy traders out there either. I especially feel bad for kids who get to the park and CM"s won't trade with them b/c the pins are bad. So all and all a great idea Epcotmatt- I would be glad to help out.
...t.

I just bought 2 lots of 10 on ebay from pincastle for our upcoming trip...........what do you guys think about them :confused3 .....do they usually sell good or cheap pins on ebay??? Thanks for your advice. :thumbsup2

I am new to this board and new to pin trading. We are going in the summer and I would like to find some pins to give my son for Christmas to start a collection for him. What is the best place to find sets? I would like inexpensive ones to start because I want him to get into the spirit first.

I am new to pin trading (but a dear friend is an expert). I have purchased several lots to trade with CM in December. ALL the pins I have received are beautiful (no propins or sedesma). I did do a lot of reading before I bought anything on ebay (here, pinpics, dizpins and several ebay pin trading guides--very excellent).

I would be willing to share the names of excellent pin sellers. I wish there was a way to post---Beware of this or that seller!!

samc said:
I just bought 2 lots of 10 on ebay from pincastle for our upcoming trip...........what do you guys think about them :confused3 .....do they usually sell good or cheap pins on ebay??? Thanks for your advice. :thumbsup2

I bought from them and the pins are nice.

Happy trading!

my DD just got interested in pin trading. In the past trips we have bought pins in the parks to mark something special every trip - first time on TOT, first time on Rock in Rollercoaster etc.... But now she wants to trade with cast members. So now I need to purchase some pins for her to trade. The ones she currently has all have special meaning so she is not wanting to trade those... I have just started looking on Ebay.

Looking for any assistance this thread might have.
Thanks

samc said:

I have purchased from pincastle and have had no problems with the authenticity of pins. They have even gone to DLR for me to buy pins for me in my absence (a service they used to offer to members of another message board). I highly recommend them.

samc said:

I buy pins from pincastle on ebay all the time for trading at the park. Some pins I even keep for my collection. As a matter of fact, I will only buy my trader pins from pincastle, As i never get any junk pins from them. All are quality pins I'm proud to trade with CM's.

You can find very nice cheap pins on disneyshopping.com or the disney store.
Disney Shopping usually has a coupon and free shipping on monday. Disney Store usually has a set of 3 or 4 pins for 8.50. A little on the small size. But they will trade.

hi, just wanted to let you all know.......we just got back from our trip and all our pin-castle pins were traded without question or hesitation by all CMs....

the only thing and this makes no difference to us....some of the CMs did not want the beige pin backs provided with the pin-castle pins and kept their own black mickey head backs instead.

thanks for the advice.....I'd use pin-castle again....both lots of 10 were less than $30 including shipping.........well worth it!!!

also, just FYI cause this was new to us........my DS tried to trade with a CM but she wouldn't take the pin he offered because she already had one like it on her lanyard. This happened just was we were about to get on the moving side-walk thingy on one of the rides......he wasn't able to get another pin out for her in time and we couldn't go through the whole line again just to trade. DS was very upset and I thought the CM handled it badly......I know she was busy but she didn't try to apologize or accomodate him in the least. I thought I had seen CMs in the past with 2 of the same pin but I guess I was wrong.

Thanks again!! :wave2:

Yeah, it's a shame that wasn't handled well, but it's nothing new. Have you checked out disney's pin trading rules? you can see them @www.odpt.com
glad to hear you had a good time trading otherwise. I had to be reminded more than once last weekend that i could not trade w/ c,'s w/ a green lanyard-duh, i just get a little over zealous
...t.

t-beri said:
I had to be reminded more than once last weekend that i could not trade w/ c,'s w/ a green lanyard-duh, i just get a little over zealous
...t.

Bitten by the green lanyard....... I hate that

Well, to pin trading at least. On this last trip my mom surprised me and my son with a box of pins to trade, and even though he only 'got into it' the last day I sure had a blast with it. (Really, really a lot of fun although my new habit of looking at people's chests was a little odd to adjust to....)

So what is the deal with the green lanyard?? I didn't have any problems trading with CM's but honestly I didn't notice any particular lanyard colors.

We ended up with a red monorail and a purple monorail; does that mean that out there, ten more colors exist? If so, how can I get my grubby paws upon them?!? :yay:

How do y'all display your pins at home? I bought a yard or so of duck-cloth and a grid of plastic that rug-yarn-hook-whatevers are made with, put the plastic inside the fabric, glued it with fabric glue, and stuck a wooden dowel in one end as the 'hanger'. What have others done (besides leaving them on the lanyard, I do that too).

I have read, and made my son read, the pin trading rules from Disney. Any other things I should know? Like how does a person trade with another person not a CM?

glad this thread is here! I am happy with my newest Dis-addiction for sure!

peace
figgy

My 5 year old just decided she wants to start collecting pins. I told her about them and she wasn't that interested, then a friend came into school with tons of pins for show and tell and now she's interested! :) I just looked on disneyshopping.com and couldn't believe how much they cost! I guess I'll be looking on EBay too so thanks for starting this thread! Now I have something good for their stockings!

Thank you!

Also - I'm new to EBay and can't find the pincastle store - how do I do that?

Thanks!

so wait cm's are cast members right? I can trade with them? Im a little confused sorry. Might have to pick me up some pins

I figured out how to find the different EBay sellers. I showed my daughter the pictures of all the pins and she loved them! She's kind of shy so I don't know how she'll like trading, but we're going to try it.

And to answer the last poster - CM's are Cast Members. I'm not sure if they all trade pins, but some do and yes, you're supposed to trade with them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter