LED or LCD TV over fireplace?

Muushka

<font color=red>I usually feel like I just stepped
We are considering doing this (LED, with internet 55" or so), but have a few concerns.

First, how did you hide the connections to the cable/satellite receiver and DVD player?

Secondly, how did you deal with the height issues of mounting a TV that high? I see that they have mounts that tilt down, is that enough of a correction to not get a strained neck from looking up?

Third, are you glad you mounted it there?

Currently we do have an outlet in the area and we are considering replacing our mantle so we will have lots of access back there if we do replace it.

Thanks!

We have a 42" tv mounted above our fireplace. We love having the tv there! We have cable organizers and cable ties to bundle them all then have a picture sitting on our mantle and hide all the cables behind it :laughing:

We have ours above the fireplace too. We took all the cords and hid them behind conduit that screwed into the bricks. Then we painted the conduit the same color as our bricks (white). You can't see it unless you really look for it.

About the height - how big is your room? Ours is in a great room - so we can sit very far away from it. Not too much strain on the neck that way.

HTH!

Thanks! The room is not large and the furthest from the TV would be around 12'.

We did the above the mantel mounting as well. But I made it a real project for DH. He rebuilt the mantle so the wires would all slide through to cabinets on the sides, he also built a really cool retractable cabinet that can be pulled out and the TV is completely contained. That leaves the spot above the fireplace to look as though it is just an oak wall hen it is closed. I love this set up!

My friend's parents have theirs mounted about the fireplace, but it's a very small living room. I didn't find it very comfortable watching tv, even though the seats were reclines back. The room is only 10ft or so across. But I also thought it was mounted very high since the mantel seemed to be higher than most.

We have our 50" above the fireplace and I'm so sorry we chose to do that. We don't have a large room either so the best viewing is while laying on the couch or reclined back in the reclinder. It is on a wall bracket that swivels down and that does help quite a bit.

That being said...my DS and DH love it and won't let me change it. So it's clearly me. ;) It's a good setup because our kitchen and dining area are next to the family room so we have a large viewable area.

We had to do some sheetrock work so while it was down we installed a PVC pipe and ran all the wiring through it to come out at the bottom of the wall.

We briefly thought about that, but too uncomfortable to watch. Before you go to all the trouble mounting it, put a piece of cardboard or something where it would be and then see if you can watch it without looking up!

We mounted our 42" plasma on the wall a few years ago. I did lots of research and did run the cables down inside the wall.

IMHO, mounting above the fireplace has the TV too high for comfortable viewing. I think some people get around this by tilting the screen downwards.

Obviously, lots of people do it, and have a different opinion. We get compliments on our TV height, lol. I looked online and found a formula, X number of inches from the floor for the center of the flat screen. I forget the measurement! Eye level from when you are seated was part of it. It may LOOK too low, because that is lower than you would hang artwork, but it works.

Good luck! I understand wanting to hang above the fireplace to save space, etc.

Thanks all for the feedback. I have a big painting over the fireplace now, perhaps we need to just sit and stare at it for a while!

My husband does not think it is a good idea and I want to get some extra floor space out of the deal! Again, thank you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter