Leaving baby in room to nap? Thoughts and discussion!

I find it disturbing that this child is 20 months old and this woman is still calling herself an inexperienced mom. Yikes. She's been a parent for almost 2 years.

I remember the days of sitting out in the hallway with our hotel room door propped open so that our toddler boys would fall asleep so that we could go back in. They would NOT fall asleep with us in the room. But we never physically LEFT the room and "hung out" elsewhere. What the actual heck?

I find it disturbing that this child is 20 months old and this woman is still calling herself an inexperienced mom. Yikes. She's been a parent for almost 2 years.
The child will be 20 months old in January of 2023...so if my sketchy math is correct they were born in April/May of this year, so like 6 or 7 months right now.

I remember the days of sitting out in the hallway with our hotel room door propped open so that our toddler boys would fall asleep so that we could go back in. They would NOT fall asleep with us in the room. But we never physically LEFT the room and "hung out" elsewhere. What the actual heck?

I find it more disturbing that anyone, parent or not, would even consider leaving a baby by themselves. This is just like leaving your baby in the car when you go into the store.

??

Sorry if you are leaving your child in the stateroom alone you seriously need to reconsider all aspects of parenting.

It's not judgmental it's called being realistic and understanding how the world works.

I think that some people have taken the whole "we should not judge" in the wrong direction. Most things that a person does is not really a big deal and do not deserve judgement. But when it comes to putting a child at risk, it is imperative that people step in for the well being of the child. To say, "you shouldn't judge" when someone puts a child at risk, well that is a word that I can not say on this forum.

Maybe hold off until the child is old enough to enjoy the cruise? Save money on a shorter cruise or a different cruise line and use the savings for a baby sitter.

Bad things happen everywhere and being a Disney ship doesn't change that unfortunately. As others have said its extremely dangerous to leave a child alone in a room on a cruise ship like this and if someone notices they would probably report for neglect. Hopefully by the time you sail the nursery might have reopened and then this would be a great option for you.

Call me old school and I am not that old, I personally would not have an issue leaving the room for 5-10 min to run up and grab a drink or a pizza. But only if I had an infant that could not crawl or climb. But a baby in a crib. I wouldnt go hang out at the bar or pool for hours.

Back when my kids were napping at all ages, I would be in the basement doing laundy, in the garden, chat with neighbors and I did not have a baby monitor. I have a huge house. So technically my kids were also left alone. IMO I think we have gotten way to paranoid with the fluke what ifs. No wonder too many moms have anxiety.

and those who call this " neglect" need to do their research on what neglect is.

Call me old school and I am not that old, I personally would not have an issue leaving the room for 5-10 min to run up and grab a drink or a pizza. But only if I had an infant that could not crawl or climb. But a baby in a crib. I wouldnt go hang out at the bar or pool for hours.

Back when my kids were napping at all ages, I would be in the basement doing laundy, in the garden, chat with neighbors and I did not have a baby monitor. I have a huge house. So technically my kids were also left alone. IMO I think we have gotten way to paranoid with the fluke what ifs. No wonder too many moms have anxiety.

and those who call this " neglect" need to do their research on what neglect is.
LOL, I call myself old school because I’m a proud “helicopter mom”. You and I are so different, but I live in the world of freak accidents as I see them ACTUALLY SEE THEM regularly. It’s my business. I see the bodies.
So, no, I don’t consider myself paranoid.
I’m a realist. I don’t live with my head in the clouds but I believe my awareness saves my kid’s life every day.
To be clear, I’m not judging you or your parenting style. We’re all doing our best differently.

Last edited:
LOL, and there I was anxious when I left my 8 year old alone in our room so I could go grab snacks on the pool deck back in 2019…

This sounds like a new parent who has not yet come to grips with the ways in which life changes once you’ve procreated. Or who is woefully unfamiliar with child development and so clueless about what a 20 month old child may or may not be able to do. Like climb right out of a pack and play…

I was on the veranda reading when my then 12 month old woke up from her nap screaming bloody murder she ‘couldn’t find me’ and the room steward was apparently walking by and was in the room faster than I was (& I wasn’t slow..) so I’d hate to think what’d happened if I hadn’t been there and the ramifications…

LOL, and there I was anxious when I left my 8 year old alone in our room so I could go grab snacks on the pool deck back in 2019…

This sounds like a new parent who has not yet come to grips with the ways in which life changes once you’ve procreated. Or who is woefully unfamiliar with child development and so clueless about what a 20 month old child may or may not be able to do. Like climb right out of a pack and play…
Our kids were CLIMBERS at that age. We of course had baby gates for the stairs, but they still managed to get up on the kitchen counter, sofa, beds, bookcases, you name it. Will never forget the horrible day when I was in the shower and my toddler around that age climbed up on his older brother’s bunk bed and fell. Since I was just in the bathroom down the hall, I heard him screaming like a banshee and ran out in a towel to find him at the base of the bed with a giant goose egg on his head. I still have a lot of mom guilt from that day, but I was within earshot, got to him quick, and got him medical attention right away to rule out a concussion.

On a disney cruise with a two year old, so slightly older but not much, our little one managed to get the door open and was off like a shot down the hall. Since we were 10 feet away, we ran after him and caught him a little ways down the hall. At home, we of course have babyproofing on the exterior doorknobs, so when he found a door that was not defended against exploration he was super excited! We got to blocking the door with a suitcase when were in the room after that!

On a disney cruise with a two year old, so slightly older but not much, our little one managed to get the door open and was off like a shot down the hall. Since we were 10 feet away, we ran after him and caught him a little ways down the hall. At home, we of course have babyproofing on the exterior doorknobs, so when he found a door that was not defended against exploration he was super excited! We got to blocking the door with a suitcase when were in the room after that!

This is my biggest fear! I plan to keep the deadbolts on at all times because of this. And the verandah will ALWAYS have to be locked.

I once found a toddler (too young to talk) walking down the hallway outside of my stateroom. He actually tried to come inside my room when I opened the door. No telling how long he had been there. I started walking him up and down the hallway, hoping that someone would come looking for him while I told my husband to be ready to call guest services if I couldn't quickly find his parents. After a minute or two, a man poked his head outside of a door to put some dishes in the hallway but didn't really look up at us. I began speaking and he looked at me, then the kid, and his eyes got really big. It was his child and I could tell from his expression that he had no clue the child had left the room.

My kids are 15 months apart in age. My oldest was obviously still in a crib and was a new walker when my youngest was born. That first week, I was laying in bed nursing the newborn in the morning, and all of the sudden, kid 1 comes in the room. Somehow, he had climbed out of his crib, opened his bedroom door, walked to the other end of the house, and opened our bedroom door.

Then there was the time my then 2 yr old (the youngest) managed to get to the bottom of a stack of boxes (we were moving in to a new house), found our wedding knife set, and almost cut 2 fingers off in the time it took me to put in my contacts. Seriously, they were unsupervised for maybe 2 mins at most.

Toddlers are terrorists and can't be trusted.

My kids are 15 months apart in age. My oldest was obviously still in a crib and was a new walker when my youngest was born. That first week, I was laying in bed nursing the newborn in the morning, and all of the sudden, kid 1 comes in the room. Somehow, he had climbed out of his crib, opened his bedroom door, walked to the other end of the house, and opened our bedroom door.

Then there was the time my then 2 yr old (the youngest) managed to get to the bottom of a stack of boxes (we were moving in to a new house), found our wedding knife set, and almost cut 2 fingers off in the time it took me to put in my contacts. Seriously, they were unsupervised for maybe 2 mins at most.

Toddlers are terrorists and can't be trusted.
Wrestling knives and superglue away from toddlers when you put them (the dangerous things) down for 1/2 a second where you thought they were out of reach is the mom equivalent of skydiving. Nice (not!) little adrenaline boost

I think hoping a child will nap normally in a new/novel environment, and the reality of if they nap. to have been two separate things. If there's a time zone change or changes in food, even more so. For babies/toddlers, routine is success, and changes are unpredictable in their outcomes.

That is totally different, though. You were still within the bounds of your property.

Would you have left your napping toddler alone, gotten in the car and driven a couple miles away to get a coffee at Starbucks? That's what this would be like.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter