Leaving a child in Oceaneer's during an excursion

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by kwoo, Apr 11, 2018.

1. kwoo

kwoo Earning My Ears

It let us book her online, no problem. It has her name bold as the only one in our party as able to be signed up for Nursery, since she is only one the right age. We are all set.

FigmentSpark likes this.
  2. otten

otten Mouseketeer

That’s good. I have no idea why we weren’t able to but it was three years ago so who knows. Might have saved us a bit of grief but oh well.

3. Avatar

DIS Sponsor Let Dreams Unlimited Travel plan your perfect Disney vacation!

4. kwoo

kwoo Earning My Ears

I think my daughter will love the nursery, and all the attention she will receive there. She's quite the extrovert, she'll love people doing crafts with her, etc. I hear that I am outlier here in leaving her. But she is going on other excursions with us. This is just the one chance for my teenagers to get to do something as a family that isn't dictated by the 3 year old and her needs. She joined us through adoption at age 2 and over the past 2 years, my big kids have sacrificied A LOT for their sister. Life is not the same for them anymore, and I hated the idea of us not getting to experience the glacier walk tour they wanted to all do together, because of their sister. They regularly have to give up what they want to do b/c of her. For us, it's worth it to have this one sweet day together with our big kids, and give them the attention they haven't been getting when she is around. I said I wasn't going to share more, but sometimes there is just more to the story of why families make certain choices. I feel grateful for getting more info here about the Club and about the Nursery. It's great to know how they operate and what to expect, so that I could make the decision that is right for our family.

gilsan, gotomu212, kickash and 5 others like this.
  5. PrincessShmoo

PrincessShmoo DIS veteran

That may have been during the time where the nursery was for "UNDER 3 years old". They've relaxed it now. They want 3 year olds to try Oceaneer's first, but, if it's not do-able, they can use the nursery.

6. otten

otten Mouseketeer

Maybe. I seem to recall it said for 0-3 but we couldn’t register my oldest. It doesn’t matter now anyway as my youngest will be 5 by the time we sail.

7. FigmentSpark

FigmentSpark DIS Veteran

She'll have her special times with just you guys when her older siblings are grown. I think it's important that each child feel special, and yes, olders sometimes get the shaft in favour of the youngers. It's a tough one, in these circumstances, but we all have to make choices sometimes. Nothing wrong with your decision.

Anchors Away 2016 likes this.
  8. JSMT

JSMT Earning My Ears

Just so you have more evidence that other people have done this successfully too, we left our 18m in the nursery in Alaska last summer while we took our older kids on a excursion. No issues and no concerns from the staff.

FigmentSpark and kwoo like this.
  9. Summer2018

Summer2018 DIS Veteran

I wouldn't be able to enjoy the excursion. My mind would be on my daughter the entire time. Nope...couldn't do it, just the thought of it gets me upset.

10. TikiThunderPirates

TikiThunderPirates Mouseketeer

Just curious, is leaving your child in Kids Club or Nursery while you leave the ship on an excursion "allowed" by Disney or just done on the sly by people?

11. Chemist

Chemist Mouseketeer

Just curious, is leaving your child in Kids Club or Nursery while you leave the ship on an excursion "allowed" by Disney or just done on the sly by people?​

Allowed!

(I would never have done it if it wasn't allowed.)

TikiThunderPirates likes this.
  12. gotomu212

gotomu212 DIS Veteran

Allowed. In fact you should tell them when dropping off and they will put a note in the system and you can leave a cell number in case of emergency.

TikiThunderPirates likes this.
  13. cadien

cadien DIS Veteran

I'd definitely be more likely to do it in Alaska because I'd be less concerned about being able to receive any phone calls.