Le Cellier for just soup?

Love the soup, it's has a nice tang from the canadian white cheddar. A bowl of it with any combination of the breadsticks they offer is quite a meal! I also make it at home, my 13 year old son really loves it. By the way, you're paying, you can order what you like!

I really want to have the cheddar soup and we have lunch reservations. Would it be wrong to just have a bowl of soup and something to drink for lunch? I feel like that would be strange but I don't really want anything else on the menu.:confused3

Kristine

That's exactly what I had when I went there. Although the soup is listed as an appetizer, the server asked me if I'd like an "entree-size" bowl of soup, and that's what I had, along with lemonade and complimentary pretzel bread.

I don't think it tastes like beer at all. It tastes like bacon.

I'd be more worried about the servers than about whether the people at the next table care how much or how little you order. Mine expressed astonishment that 1) I wasn't on the dining plan and 2) I didn't want an entree. He didn't press it though.

We just ate there last week. The pretzel bread we loved. The filet was awesome. The soup was waaay too salty. I asked for a cup they brought a bowl and I brought it to their attention. Waitress was super nice and said I would only be charged for a cup as she remembered me asking for only a cup. I could not have eaten even a cup. I will go next time if I "luck up" and get another ressie but will NOT even bother with the soup. BTW I was paying OOP which didn't matter to me one way or the other.

another one who didn't like the soup. I actually wasn't that thrilled with the restaurant and service when we went.

we've crossed it off our list of must visit restaurants and i don't see it returning for a long time

Strange but I don't see beer ???
Any help ?? :confused3

Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup
Le Cellier Steakhouse
serves 4-6
Ingredients:
3 cups milk
1 cup chicken broth
6 slices bacon, diced
1/4 cup fnely diced red onion
1/4 cup finely diced celery
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 cups shredded canadian white cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoons tabasco sauce or to taste
1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sause
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
fresh chives
1. In a 2-quart saucepan heat the milk and the chicken broth over medium-low heat.
2. Meanwhile in a 4 or 5 quart dutch oven cook the bacon stirring over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
3. Add the red onion, celery, and scallion and cook, stirring until the onion has softened, about 5 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly for about 3 minutes.
4. Remove the dutch oven from the heat, add the heated milk mixture and whisk until well blended. Return to the heat and cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil. Boil for 1 minutes or until thickened.
5. Remove the dutch oven from the heat and stir in the cheese, tabasco sause, worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper until the cheese is melted and the soup is smooth.
6. Serve the soup hot, garnished with chives.

I looked forward to this reservation for months last year. It was the one that I did not change at all. I had the soup and I also was not impressed. I loved the Creme Brulee though so it saved the day for me.

I was actually thinking of doing the same thing next time.

A bowl (not cup) of soup is a lot and VERY rich and filling. Especially with the bread they bring to the table. Once before we had the soup and a meal for lunch and I was so stuffed I had to go take a nap. I think the soup would be plenty enough to eat.

ETA: Even if they charge for the bread, it would be worth it and would be plenty to eat.

I don't think it tastes like beer at all. It tastes like bacon.

I'd be more worried about the servers than about whether the people at the next table care how much or how little you order. Mine expressed astonishment that 1) I wasn't on the dining plan and 2) I didn't want an entree. He didn't press it though.

That is what I was worried about. The server being irritated because I was not ordering a larger meal meaning less of a tip for them.

Kristine

I personally found the soup rather repulsive and couldn't eat it.... though it was ok for dipping the most delicious pretzel breadsticks in!!! :goodvibes

I'm not a steak eater by any means, but OH MY GOSH.... after rave reviews, I ordered the mushroom filet w/ cream cheese mashed potatoes (instead of the risotto) and I swear I would have licked the plate had we not been in a restaurant!!! LOL! It was THAT good!

88 days til I order it again! :)

Strange but I don't see beer ???
Any help ?? :confused3

Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup
Le Cellier Steakhouse
serves 4-6
Ingredients:
3 cups milk
1 cup chicken broth
6 slices bacon, diced
1/4 cup fnely diced red onion
1/4 cup finely diced celery
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 cups shredded canadian white cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoons tabasco sauce or to taste
1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sause
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
fresh chives
1. In a 2-quart saucepan heat the milk and the chicken broth over medium-low heat.
2. Meanwhile in a 4 or 5 quart dutch oven cook the bacon stirring over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until lightly browned.
3. Add the red onion, celery, and scallion and cook, stirring until the onion has softened, about 5 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly for about 3 minutes.
4. Remove the dutch oven from the heat, add the heated milk mixture and whisk until well blended. Return to the heat and cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil. Boil for 1 minutes or until thickened.
5. Remove the dutch oven from the heat and stir in the cheese, tabasco sause, worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper until the cheese is melted and the soup is smooth.
6. Serve the soup hot, garnished with chives.

The soup served in the restaurant contains Moosehead Canadian Ale.

A heads up for anyone ordering the cheese soup and expecting to get breadsticks - I went last November and ordered the bowl of soup and a beer (yes, I DO like beer!), and she said that the breadsticks were not complimentary and you could only get them if 1) you ordered an entree, or 2) you paid $3 for them. By the way, when the bill came, they were $4. :confused3

When I questioned her about it, she said this has been their policy for years. Having said that, I've been at that restaurant at least once a year for the past 5 or 6 years, I usually get just the soup, and I've NEVER been charged for breadsticks before. So, I don't know if this is a new thing, or if only some of the servers enforce this "rule." I just didn't want anyone to be disappointed in case the same thing happens to them.

A heads up for anyone ordering the cheese soup and expecting to get breadsticks - I went last November and ordered the bowl of soup and a beer (yes, I DO like beer!), and she said that the breadsticks were not complimentary and you could only get them if 1) you ordered an entree, or 2) you paid $3 for them. By the way, when the bill came, they were $4. :confused3

When I questioned her about it, she said this has been their policy for years. Having said that, I've been at that restaurant at least once a year for the past 5 or 6 years, I usually get just the soup, and I've NEVER been charged for breadsticks before. So, I don't know if this is a new thing, or if only some of the servers enforce this "rule." I just didn't want anyone to be disappointed in case the same thing happens to them.

Even if they charge for bread, it would be worth it. Bowl of soup and bread would be a filling meal.

Count me as another who was not impressed with the cheese soup! Now, the mushroom soup at AP...that is special!:thumbsup2

OP, you can order as much or as little food as you like.

I'm not a huge fan of the soup, but I love their side of mac and cheese. Since I never have room for dessert if I get a regular entree, I often go in and order the side of mac and cheese, and then get dessert. That makes a perfect size meal for me. I've never been treated badly, or had people stare because I wasn't ordering a larger meal.

We ordered the cheese soup for our meal the last time we went and we did not like it at all. We did get the bread complimentary (but my mom ordered a steak) so that helped fill us up. I don't think any of us took more than a couple of bites of that soup.

We have a tipping sticky thread to discuss tipping, and any further tipping discussion will be referred there. However, if it is the deficiency in tip you are worried about, you may of course tip more.

I have been to Le Cellier in September 2009 and ordered only appetizers - no entree - and was not charged for the bread.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter