Layton Travel Trailers ?

Catrinabeach

DIS Veteran
Does anyone have one ? If so what do you think of it ?

We are looking for a new trailer and we need one that isn't high in the weight so that we can tow it with an Avalanche. Alot of them are just too heavy but the Layton dealer has a 28 ft with a slide that is only 5600 pds and is only 23 000.00 which is alot lighter than some of the smaller 22-24 ft of other brands we have been looking at and about 10,000.00 cheaper than those heavier ones too

I don't know where to look for reviews of them so thought I would ask here if anyone has one and likes it or hates it.

We tow with an Avalanche also. We love the truck, but in my opinion 5600 lbs is too heavy for it. That is the empty weight. Even if you travel light you are adding 500 lbs to the total. Then you need to add up the weight of the passengers in your vehicle. Believe me, you don't want to be too heavy. We had that problem with our old tow vehicle and it was a white knuckle ride every time. We used to have a 23' trailer, but we upgraded last year to a 27' trailer. It weighs approximately 4600 empty. My husband who is very experienced in towing says that is the maximum size he would tow with an Avalanche.

We bought a Kodiak expandanble RV. We love it. It has a queen bed which slides out and opens the trailer from 27' to 30'. It is on an automatic slide, so it doesn't take any effort to do. Check out the Kodiaks at www.kodiak-rv.com. They might be perfect for your kids. You can get them with 4 bunk beds in the back. We also paid under $20,000 with every available option.

Another manufacturer of these trailers in Outback and Forest River.

Good luck.

Take a look at the Heartland North Trail ultralite. I have been very happy with mine. They have several floor plans under 5000Lbs.

I have a 2003 Layton 297BH fifth wheel. It's got a single slide and triple bunks in the back. We have really enjoyed the trailer and I haven't had any complaints about the trailer. Its GVW is 11000lbs, I tow with an F350.

Take a look at the Heartland North Trail ultralite. I have been very happy with mine. They have several floor plans under 5000Lbs.

We just checked out these. Can you tell me which one you have and approx what you paid. We're from Canada so I would probably have to go to seattle to buy one of these. I like the one that has the bunks in the back with the table and bench on the other side. It's a 31 ft. Trying to find online where it says how much it would be but not having much luck.

The other web site for the other trailers. We plan to spend a yr in it and I don't like the idea of a bed that flips out. We don't mind the slide outs but not a bed that flips out.

I would be suspicious of any weight that the salesman gives you, especially if they know the sale is dependant on it.
As an example, our previous 27 ft trailer had a manufactured weight of 5000#
What is not always readily available is the weight of it as it sits at the dealer. The mfg weight is without ANY options including AC or stabilizer jacks.
After loading all of our stuff in it for a trip it turned out to weigh 6400#.
I did tow this with an Avalanche for a couple of years and once to Florida.
The problem with the Avalanche is that after calculating the tongue weight and people (family of 4) we had no cargo capacity left in the truck, it was at its max. So although it says it will tow around 8000#, the problem becomes the lack of weight carrying capacity of the truck.

hope that helps.

I have the salesman trying to talk me into going to buy a truck instead of the Avalanche lol.

There will be 3 of us in the truck. Dh, DD 8 and myself.

Our first 5th wheel was a Skyline Aljo (same as the Layton and Nomad) 2710 Bunkhouse with one small slide. It was a great RV and went many a mile. It didn't have many bells and whistles but never had problems either. After 8 years, we traded it in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter