Last minute resort upgrade

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by ashton70354, Jun 14, 2018.

1. ashton70354

ashton70354 Earning My Ears

Have a trip planned for November at the begining of the month. we have reservations at pop for 14 nights i believe. I was thinking of last minute maybe the week or 2 before, if we are alright money wise upgrading to a moderate or deluxe and suprising my wife. Does anyone have experience with doing this and how likely is it that i can catch a sweet deal week of or week before travel date?

2. dansdad

dansdad DIS Veteran

It will be very hard to catch a deal. You will most likely be paying rack rate, full price, if you wait. I would check for a discount, which should be released around July-August time frame for November.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. ashton70354

ashton70354 Earning My Ears

thanks. i was just curious about last minute cancelations and stuff along those lines. i didnt know if disney has a system in play that if someone pulls out someone already booked and paid at a different resort could call and sweep the reservation for a discount since the room will be vacant anyway.

5. Nancyg56

Nancyg56 DIS Veteran

No, this is not how Disney works. The chances of a discount the closer to your trip are reduced rather than increased. If you want an upgrade I would do as suggested above and book if and when a discount is released. These discounts get scooped up rather quickly lately.

6. JoJoGirl

JoJoGirl Mouseketeer

I have been able to upgrade/book a discounted room on short notice a couple of times over the years. However, those times were for stays of four or five days each. This year I was able to find four nights at the Yacht Club about two weeks ahead of time using the 25% general public discount, booked May 20 and stayed June 5-9. The selection was pretty slim at that point, and I would think that finding two weeks available anywhere would have been impossible.

You could consider a split stay, if you could find availability. That would involve finding new availability for both your shortened stay at Pop and for the days at whatever upgraded resort you could find. I would recommend doing that as soon as you could secure a discount though, and not waiting until a week or two before the trip when finding all those days will be exponentially harder.

There is no harm in looking, though, but definitely keep expectations/hopes in check. You already have a good reservation in hand, and you will have a fantastic time either way! :thumbsup2

Texans_loyal and AngiTN like this.
  7. AngiTN

AngiTN DIS Veteran

We often decide to change resorts close to our trip.
    But, not in the method you are talking about.
    I book on AP discounts and they tend to work with a different expiration date system
    They stay open pretty much till that current calendar day, when the next discount picks up so that you can still book using the same discount. Makes it very easy to move resorts keeping the same discount. Nothing like say, booking with Free Dining or Stay, Play and Dine. Those promos often expire well before your stay date so it makes it much harder to move resorts.

Texans_loyal likes this.
  8. E.Jane

E.Jane Mouseketeer

A couple of years ago, we booked at Old Key West (cash, not DVC) 3 weeks before arrival with a 20% discount.

9. Nancyg56

Nancyg56 DIS Veteran

I think those days are going to be few and far between now.

10. Lesverts

Lesverts DIS Veteran

The only time I have heard of Disney opening last minute discounts was during Hurricane Irma. I only have about 4 years experience, but that should be telling in itself. it is not like a cruise line where you can get a discount at port to upgrade your stateroom category.

11. Cinderumbrella

Cinderumbrella DIS Veteran

For 14 days? Highly unlikely. Just upgrade when the discounts come out and don’t tell her?

12. Babsy

Babsy DIS Veteran

It might happen, but you would be very lucky. Odds are against being able to snag a discount at the last minute, especially for an extended stay. You would be much better off, IMO, booking what you want as soon as discounts are offered. Then you have peace knowing that you have a good deal and reservations in hand. If a better deal is available at the last moment you can still change at that time, but I wouldn't plan on this as a strategy. Filling unsold or cancelled reservations is what those GP and AP discounts are meant to solve, but they are issued well in advance of two to three weeks prior to arrival date.

13. cfn10

cfn10 Earning My Ears

Try CBR now and periodically through then. We were offered a special to extend our stay. Point being rooms aren’t filled now in busy season prob bc of construction so may find special. Had checked 5 days prior and was regular rate so price went down as date approached. Also agree split stay may be useful to juggle. at that time wdw closes earlier so may be fun to explore a different hotel. When I was pricing CS and CBR were best mods price wise prob bc of construction which won’t be done until 2019.