Lasseter may return to Disney

I wouldn't be shocked if Disney allows him to return for a year or two to oversee (from a distance, I'd hope) the release of Toy Story 4 and whatever other projects he had started before pushing him to quietly retire.

I certainly don't agree with that hypothetical decision, and I'd hope that Lasseter is not allowed with 1,000 feet of the studio. I just have a suspicion the company will smooth any return over by saying the guy's on limited time.

Now, if Disney had a ton of evidence against some of the allegations that are out there and has a ton of proof that he went through treatment and counciling and is a changed person and wants to help others and speak out against what he did in the past, that is one thing - then maybe something could work, but that better be really strong evidence[/QUOTE]

Maybe Disney did investigate the charges and are only considering bringing him back because of their findings. Disney can't release those findings
publically or doesn't want to because they are protecting an employee's privacy. I guess we need to trust that Disney did investigate the claims against him and based their decision on the facts that were found during their investigation.

I am open to him returning though I'd need to hear more first. My understanding is there still isn't a victim or a witness who has stepped forward, just anonymous sources. Jones flatly denied her part of the story which does bring into question the full accuracy. That gives me enough pause to be willing to hear Disney/John out.
If Disney doesn't fear any kind of litigation, from past events or future, that's .....unexpected. It seemed so open and shut when it came out and I was expecting more details to come to light over the last 6 months. I wasn't expecting to be still in the same place.

I am open to him returning though I'd need to hear more first. My understanding is there still isn't a victim or a witness who has stepped forward, just anonymous sources. Jones flatly denied her part of the story which does bring into question the full accuracy. That gives me enough pause to be willing to hear Disney/John out.
If Disney doesn't fear any kind of litigation, from past events or future, that's .....unexpected. It seemed so open and shut when it came out and I was expecting more details to come to light over the last 6 months. I wasn't expecting to be still in the same place.
Jones did say there are issues at Pixar though especially regarding minorities and women.

I will say you don't take a 6-month leave for nothing. If Disney wasn't worried they wouldn't have pushed for that leave. I agree though that we have very little details.

Jones did say there are issues at Pixar though especially regarding minorities and women.

I will say you don't take a 6-month leave for nothing. If Disney wasn't worried they wouldn't have pushed for that leave. I agree though that we have very little details.

And the problem of no details just makes the optics really gross...or some kind of remediation plan. Anything but sneaking him back in to the toxic environment.

The other point no-one is discussing is that it may not be as easy to get rid of him as you all think. Remember, he was the founder and owner of the company before Disney bought it. Executives at that level have contracts, and it is possible that he has in his contract that they cannot get rid of him without "cause" - and it's quite possible that while the evidence that his behavior was wrong, it may not have been outright illegal, and so they don't have a actionable reason for firing him. And maybe he doesn't want to leave - so Disney is dealing with all the legal ramifications around that. It's probably just not as easy as it would be with you or me in this case. So it might well be that Disney is still trying to figure out the "How".

Is that a thing at Disney? You get your birthday off?
The point is that there are too many variables (such as sick leave, annual leave, special days, etc.) in TWDC for executives at John's level. After all, Lasseter does not earn an hourly wage based upon a 2,087 hour divisor to which some hourly wage earners are subject. Therefore, although we know when the six month sabbatical started, the end could be many more than six months and still be fully within guidelines. :wave2:

The other point no-one is discussing is that it may not be as easy to get rid of him as you all think. Remember, he was the founder and owner of the company before Disney bought it. Executives at that level have contracts, and it is possible that he has in his contract that they cannot get rid of him without "cause" - and it's quite possible that while the evidence that his behavior was wrong, it may not have been outright illegal, and so they don't have a actionable reason for firing him. And maybe he doesn't want to leave - so Disney is dealing with all the legal ramifications around that. It's probably just not as easy as it would be with you or me in this case. So it might well be that Disney is still trying to figure out the "How".

That's why I'm thinking he gets a NICE severance package ... remainder of his contract, a hefty amount of stock/shares to make up for revenue going forward past the end of his current contract (or, ability to cash out existing stock/shares without penalty - which would make more sense), a gag-order for all involved and a pretty stringent non-compete for Lasseter probably for the next decade.

I was assuming Disney would make an announcement but maybe Disney doesn't feel the need to say anything further? Aren't we assuming Disney was already aware and it wasn't really news to them?
He is still listed as CCO and all of his additional titles on the Disney sites. Why would Iger wait and draw it out?

Edited for additional thoughts...
Playing devil's advocate, with the six months over he is not already technically "back?" Doesn't his contract make him the CCO again now? Since they let the six months lapse without removing him, I really wonder if they plan to carve out a consulting role and have him stay.

Last edited:
A major problem is that Toy Story 4 is set for release in June, 2019 and the story revolves around Woody's search for Bo Peep:
Lasseter's behavior has turned him into a laughing stock.

Last edited:

Yep. I still believe wholeheartedly that JL will back. He has been probably the most valuable employee of Disney for the past twenty years. That sort of talent and value gets you a second chance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter