Land & Sea OR Sea & Land in Covid Times

disneylandlocal

Mouseketeer
I know the traditional wisdom is land & sea, I.E. disneyworld first then relax on a cruise. I’m thinking of a last minute trip for spring break (the crowds, I know :guilty:) but we’ve had so many cancelled trips that last minute is all I can manage now. I’m seeing a decent OGT price for a 3 night dream. I’m also reading lots of reports of ppl testing positive at port. We are all fully vaxxed/ boosted except my youngest who isn’t old enough yet.

My question- I’m worried of picking up Covid in the crowds at disneyworld so is it better to cruise first? We could isolate the week before and mask well on the flight before the cruise.

alternatiely, I’m worried we could pick up Covid on the cruise and then miss disneyworld.

I know this is all speculation just curious how Covid is affecting others’ decisions on this. I’m hoping the numbers start to improve soon and our chances of an asymptomatic positive are reduced.

When I did a land & sea back in September/October, I had the same dilemma. I decided to cruise first, just in case. Plus, it lined up better with my travel dates.

In normal times, I agree that it's best to visit the parks first. Frankly, going from the service on Dream to the service at Caribbean Beach was... startling, actually. I guess WDW was (and probably still is) suffering from a lot of staff shortages, but the service at CBR was appallingly bad. I think I would have felt better if I did CBR and then the cruise, though.

But, I wouldn't want to risk catching something at the parks and then failing the test to get on the cruise ship. So, I'd cruise first, even if it makes WDW seem kind of gross after the superb cleanliness of the cruise ship.

No way would I visit the parks before a cruise right now. We skipped the parks completely in December and plan to go for 5 days after our June cruise.

We were going to do Universal Studios before our cruise in August. After thinking about it and going on these message boards, I decided to change it to afterwards. We have rescheduled this cruise twice and the thought of not getting on it would break my heart. So, cruise then parks! That's our choice!

As I said in a previous thread I thought about changing WDW from before the cruise to after but then I realized my 2 daughters are school teachers so I could easily get Covid the 3 days at home than in the parks so I'm keeping it before the cruise. Locked and loaded with vaccine and booster. Good to go.

Last edited:
We're doing our cruise then parks in June. The ONLY circumstance I'd consider the opposite right now is if we were still under the 90 day "recovered" note that would let us bypass testing prior to boarding.

There was a time at Disney World during the pandemic where it felt safer than the grocery store at home. Masks everywhere, temp checks, social distance markers. Now it is completely the opposite. People packed in and told to “fill all available space.” High crowds. I think nothing at home even comes close to the level of risk of being at Disney World right now except maybe a large indoor sports event or concert.

Only way I would do a Disney or Universal theme park before a cruise is if I recentñy had Covid and was using the 90 day exemption to pre-cruise testing. Otherwise the risk of a positive test ruining my cruise just isn’t worth it.

Though to be honest, I always did like parks after the cruise. Going straight home after the cruise is too depressing.

When we do both, I always prefer land after. It is so painful to debark the ship that heading to the parks lessens the blow.:)
As for Covid times...definitely cruise first! For the reasons you mentioned. I just sailed the Dream and the safety measures are top notch. Much less chance of contracting Covid onboard than at the parks. In my opinion.

I think if odds the difference when it comes to how your trip is laid out, I'd do land after just to be on the safe side. We're doing 1 park day before our cruise in late march and based on the cruise timing (Monday-Friday), travel, work, etc, it would have been MUCH harder to do the park day after, so we're sticking with before. We'll be as careful as possible at the parks.

That all being said, I just came off of one week of quarantining with my wife who tested positive. I did not isolate myself from her, wear a mask around her, etc. because I figured it was a lost cause. Assume I was just going to get it if she did. I was constantly exposed directly to a COVID positive person for over a week and after all that, tested negative twice and never got sick. Meanwhile she's been the extra careful one wearing masks everywhere bc of her job (she's a personal trainer) and still got it. So.....who the heck knows.

I think if odds the difference when it comes to how your trip is laid out, I'd do land after just to be on the safe side. We're doing 1 park day before our cruise in late march and based on the cruise timing (Monday-Friday), travel, work, etc, it would have been MUCH harder to do the park day after, so we're sticking with before. We'll be as careful as possible at the parks.

That all being said, I just came off of one week of quarantining with my wife who tested positive. I did not isolate myself from her, wear a mask around her, etc. because I figured it was a lost cause. Assume I was just going to get it if she did. I was constantly exposed directly to a COVID positive person for over a week and after all that, tested negative twice and never got sick. Meanwhile she's been the extra careful one wearing masks everywhere bc of her job (she's a personal trainer) and still got it. So.....who the heck knows.

+1 to everything you said. We did sea then land (ok, we did Universal), then we came home and tested positive. And everyone but my husband got it.

I think, all else being equal, I'd pick land first, because the parks felt really chaotic after the ship. But in the current environment, I'd keep away from the parks until after the cruise.

+1 to everything you said. We did sea then land (ok, we did Universal), then we came home and tested positive. And everyone but my husband got it.

I think, all else being equal, I'd pick land first, because the parks felt really chaotic after the ship. But in the current environment, I'd keep away from the parks until after the cruise.
Yeah that's one of the reasons we chose parks first. To max out relaxation mode as the trip goes on. Also, we're only doing one day in the parks. Even if we were to get exposed during that park day, I don't think enough time would pass for us to test positive the very next day (less than 24 hrs later). If we were doing multiple days in the parks I would be much, much more concerned about possible exposure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter