Knock off bags in Nassau?

It is illegal to sell knock offs and it is illegal to purchase them. This is the norm everywhere. Whether or not it is enforced is another issue, but if you get caught you will pay the consequences. Say no to Piracy and make the world a better place.

Please, please don't buy fake bags. Not only are they ripping off designers and are illegal in pretty much every country in the world, but the factories in which they are made are horrific in terms of things like child labor. They have been linked to organized crime, terrorism, and many other terrible things. There are countless reasons not to buy them, and I could fill pages and pages here (but I won't, since this is a Disney board, and not a purse forum). It may seem harmless, but it's not. They aren't often policed well in less-affluent countries, or countries with higher crime rates, because it's hard to fund task forces to manage it, but that doesn't mean it's okay.

A few links that might help:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/13/business/worldbusiness/13iht-fake.html?_r=0

http://www.theclosetonlineshop.com/theblog/2011/11/15/fake-good-or-bad/

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/12/business/worldbusiness/12iht-fake.4569452.html

http://www.nbcdfw.com/the-scene/shopping/Your-Fake-Purse-Could-Be-Funding-Terrorism-98384889.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/stolen-designer-bags-and-terrorist-organizations-2011-12

Wow, I had no idea. I've never bought any knocks offs but never had a problem with them either. This thread has been very informative! :(

would cease to exist if they stopped selling knock off bags. I mean really- anyone can tell they are a knock off. Seems a bit ridiculous to me that customs would confiscate. I have a feeling that Coach will survive a few dupes!

It is illegal to sell knock offs and it is illegal to purchase them. This is the norm everywhere. Whether or not it is enforced is another issue, but if you get caught you will pay the consequences. Say no to Piracy and make the world a better place.

I assume people buy the knockoffs because they are far cheaper than the real thing. Is it that the knockoffs use inferior quality materials? Or that the designers mark up their products too much?

I think the designers are doing themselves a disservice by marking up the bags so much. If they charged reasonable prices for their merchandise the copy cats would be greatly reduced.

The quality is very inferior. That's how they're able to sell them so cheap. If you've seen the real thing you can see a vast difference and can easily spot a knock off. I appreciate the PP who had the links about the horrible labor practices associated with a knock off. I'm glad to hear there's a crack down on this business and exposure to how insidious it really is.

The quality is very inferior. That's how they're able to sell them so cheap. If you've seen the real thing you can see a vast difference and can easily spot a knock off. I appreciate the PP who had the links about the horrible labor practices associated with a knock off. I'm glad to hear there's a crack down on this business and exposure to how insidious it really is.

Good points. I don't think bad labor practice only happen in factories making knock off products. What is really appalling are the factory working conditions in the factories making real I-Phones. Several people committed suicide after working in those sweatshops. I mean come on Apple you are selling phones for $600+ do you really need to find a manufacture that will make them for $5? Even if you paid $20 a piece that is still a $580 profit.

Just got off the Dream today and was in Nassau on Friday and I do not recall seeing any of the purses that I saw last year in Nassau. They may still have them but they certainly weren't everywhere like they were before. The Coach outlet in my area has very good prices on purses and wallets during the holidays, maybe you could look into that or the outlets in Orlando.

I bought one at the Straw Market a few years ago and I would never waste my monty on another one. The straps cracked with a couple of months and then it was no usuable. Who wants everyone to KNOW you have a knock off?:rolleyes1

Was in There in December....in the straw market, ask one of the vendors where you get the purses, they will then take u up a street behind the marker (sorry I can't remember the street or store name). The store is about a block up from the market on the left on the second story of a building. I went for the adventure..didn't find any I liked but they had hundreds and the prices weren't great...I got one cheaper a few years ago in Costa Maya.

Good points. I don't think bad labor practice only happen in factories making knock off products. What is really appalling are the factory working conditions in the factories making real I-Phones. Several people committed suicide after working in those sweatshops. I mean come on Apple you are selling phones for $600+ do you really need to find a manufacture that will make them for $5? Even if you paid $20 a piece that is still a $580 profit.

It's definitely not the only place it happens, but because these factories are illegal in countries already creating things like iPhones and iPads in terrible conditions legally, you can imagine the factories tend to be even worse than the "legal" factories. You find a lot more horrific child labor in the counterfeit industry than you do in the more above-ground factories, for example. One more link on the subject detailing some of the terrible conditions of child "slaves" in these factories, and then I'll stop, because this is kind of one of my causes and I doubt anyone here really wants to go into great detail about it:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/38229835

And yes, what some of the other posters are saying about most fakes; in addition to being illegal, the knock-offs you buy on street corners especially, are very, very obvious if you are at all familiar with the brands being ripped off. Better to save your money and spend it on the real thing, which isn't created quite so terribly, and they'll last a lifetime if you care for them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter