Knock off bags in Nassau?

According to the information I got from a friend who lives in Nassau, knock-off bags purchased by tourists returning to the U.S. are being confiscated by U.S. Customs. I believe my friend said there was a fine too. This is relatively recent, years ago they used to ignore knock-offs. Now, not so.

Yep be careful not to use one for your hand luggage and have them packed away on your way back or you may loose them ;)

As for where to get them, if your like my shopaholic wife you'll soon find them when you get over there along with the other fakes and such ;)

Interesting... this is my usual souvenier in Nassau and I've never had a problem bringing one in. Although I usually carry mine off the ship, so perhaps they're getting pulled out of luggage? :confused3

Well, my friend's husband is a lawyer, his practice is in Nassau--so I have to take their word for it. Now, your mileage may vary, but is a cheap purse worth it to you?

Why would this be an issue? Buying a knock off bag? Confused :/

Because they are illegal. The designers are being robbed with every fake sold. I know in NYC that if you are caught buying a fake bag, the fine is the cost of the actual designer bag. That can be hefty.

Well, my friend's husband is a lawyer, his practice is in Nassau--so I have to take their word for it. Now, your mileage may vary, but is a cheap purse worth it to you?

Then why do they still let the venders in the straw market sell them?

Well, my best bet is that the question gets into both politics and economics. I think that from the viewpoint of the Bahamas, they don't have the resources to ensure that tourists going back to the U.S. (or through the U.S.) adhere to American laws. And, selling products to tourists in the straw market stimulates the Bahamian economy. As I understand it, it is only the tourists returning to the U.S. who get into trouble. So, not a problem for the Bahamas.

Well, my best bet is that the question gets into both politics and economics. I think that from the viewpoint of the Bahamas, they don't have the resources to ensure that tourists going back to the U.S. (or through the U.S.) adhere to American laws. And, selling products to tourists in the straw market stimulates the Bahamian economy. As I understand it, it is only the tourists returning to the U.S. who get into trouble. So, not a problem for the Bahamas.

Oh okay, I was thinking it was illegal in Nassau from your earlier post about your friend being a lawyer in Nassau.

Here's CBPs prohibited items information:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/kbyg/prohibited_restricted.xml#TrademarkedandCopyrightedArticles

Will everyone get caught? Of course not. But handbags are specifically mentioned so I wouldn't chance it.

Ok, so how do they know you bought it there? If you had it when you boarded the ship can they still take it? And according to this list, each person can have one item. Does that mean I can have a purse and so can my husband? I'm thinking if you're carrying it out with all your stuff in it they wouldn't say anything?

One of my favorite souvenirs from a few years ago was a Kate Spade knock off. For the OP, I got it in the straw market but it sounds like that might not be the case anymore?

My question is: why buy it when you know it's illegal--and you might get in trouble for it? Is it really that important to be trendy? Get a nice non-designer bag if you don't want to pay the designer price (I don't). They hold things just the same, look nice (if you pick well:rotfl:) and you can feel good about it. :)

They used to sell them for many years at the straw market in Nassau. That was when they were in the white tent. They even has then at one time when they weren't using the tent and were set up on the street under the sports tents.

. Now that they are back in a building they cannot sell them anymore because it is a government owned building.

But if you ask they will tell you or show you where you can find them. But because now there is less supply and more demand the prices are too high. You are better off getting the real thing for a few dollars more at the outlets in Orlando,

Just wanted to share...

I dated a lawyer for five years who went after bootleggers (when people used to buy albums and tapes.) He knew a lawyer here in Dallas who went after counterfeit Rolex watches. Well, guess what? I was given a choice one day to pick out one of the 'Rolexes.' My lawyer friend kept raving about it "wow, that looks SO REAL." I'd no problem taking it (I don't have a problem with knock-offs.) Wonder what these lawyers do with the knock-off bags?;)

Please, please don't buy fake bags. Not only are they ripping off designers and are illegal in pretty much every country in the world, but the factories in which they are made are horrific in terms of things like child labor. They have been linked to organized crime, terrorism, and many other terrible things. There are countless reasons not to buy them, and I could fill pages and pages here (but I won't, since this is a Disney board, and not a purse forum). It may seem harmless, but it's not. They aren't often policed well in less-affluent countries, or countries with higher crime rates, because it's hard to fund task forces to manage it, but that doesn't mean it's okay.

A few links that might help:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/13/business/worldbusiness/13iht-fake.html?_r=0

http://www.theclosetonlineshop.com/theblog/2011/11/15/fake-good-or-bad/

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/12/business/worldbusiness/12iht-fake.4569452.html

http://www.nbcdfw.com/the-scene/shopping/Your-Fake-Purse-Could-Be-Funding-Terrorism-98384889.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/stolen-designer-bags-and-terrorist-organizations-2011-12

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter