Knee Replacement

My FIL had a TKR in December. He's in his late 70s and his recovery was far from smooth. While I think that some pts could do Disney 4 weeks post TKR, the majority won't be able to. As always share your plans with your Dr...and yes, I realize this is an old-ish thread.

There were a few days that my dad was wishing that they had taken the space to bring the cyrocuff (basically a water cooler with a hose attatched to it and a wrap that goes around in order to ice with a really cold mixture). It is the size of a 1-1.5 quart water cooler that you would flip the top up and pour.

I have two of these, one from each surgery. Mine are called Iceman and they are about the size of a 6 pack cooler. Bigger than the one you describe, but worth every inch that one would take up when packing! I'm going away for Labor Day, to the beach, and it will definitely be coming along. It's the best thin ever, even better than pain pills for relief.

I have two of these, one from each surgery. Mine are called Iceman and they are about the size of a 6 pack cooler. Bigger than the one you describe, but worth every inch that one would take up when packing! I'm going away for Labor Day, to the beach, and it will definitely be coming along. It's the best thin ever, even better than pain pills for relief.

We bought the one that has been passed through the family when my sister was still doing her athletic trainer exporation program back in high school in the early to mid 90s and my grandmother had knee replacement surgery. Her instructor was able to help make the connection to the product when she mentioned in class that her grandmother was having knee replacement surgery around the time they were discussing the knee and various injuries in class. Since our grandmother was having a double we were able to get one that can be used either single or double.
For the longest time we would just keep it at the house of whoever had needed it last but when my grandmother needed to go into care my mom and one of my uncle's grabbed it out of my grandmother's house and said that since my sister was the one with the professional training it would stay at her residence unless you needed it.

We bought the one that has been passed through the family when my sister was still doing her athletic trainer exporation program back in high school in the early to mid 90s and my grandmother had knee replacement surgery.

I woke up with one on my knee both surgeries. And they can't reuse them on other patients, so now I own two. I plan to keep one and give one to one of my daughters to be used by anyone that needs it. Makes a great ice pack for any injury! Even though the attachment is for a knee, it can really be used anywhere. It's a nice first aid product for any household to have for sure.

I just had my second knee replacement 5 weeks ago. My recovery is going perfectly. However, even with that, there is no way I would be able to go to Disney right now. I still go to physical therapy twice a week, knee is swollen and hot, and my energy is low. It is a BIG surgery. My first replacement was 5 years ago. Recovery from that one was a nightmare, taking the better part of 18 months, and requiring pain meds for 5 months. Every surgery and recovery course is different. But I would strongly advise against going to Disney just a few weeks after surgery. Full recovery takes 12 months--your husband is just at the beginning of the journey toward this.

DH had both knees replaced in April prior to September trip and had a scooter. The only place he had an issue is on IASW he couldn’t bend his knees enough. I agree with the poster on the zip locks for icing.

DH had both knees replaced in April prior to September trip and had a scooter. The only place he had an issue is on IASW he couldn’t bend his knees enough. I agree with the poster on the zip locks for icing.

Do you happen to know what his range of motion was? One of mine is at 128 degrees and the other 121 degrees, but I expect that one to be better by our December trip. I hope I don't have a problem.

Prior to my knee replacements, I was in severe pain on rides where my knees had to stay bent tight, even on opioids. Now I can keep them bent without pain, I'm just hoping I can bend them far enough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter