Kingdom Tower DVC at the Contemporary (Orlando Sentinel 2/26/08)

I read in the documents that the pedestrion bridge will be on the 5th. floor of Kingdom Tower. Does that mean it will connect to the floor where the monorail station is?
I would think not. That's really more of a platform. What we don't know is how high is each floor on the tower is vs CR. The walkway may not be level either, it should be long enough to have a gradual slope to make up any difference.

Maybe they plan on modifying the monorail platform so we can just walk across and get in line.

the connection is on the 4th floor - where the gift shops are located....

you need to go thru the gift shops to get to the monrail so maybe you will buy something...

this is disney remember.

there is surpose to be one of those moving walk ways in the bridge. So you can get to the gift shops quicker.:cutie:

you need to go thru the gift shops to get to the monrail so maybe you will buy something...

this is disney remember.

there is surpose to be one of those moving walk ways in the bridge. So you can get to the gift shops quicker.:cutie:
*sigh* Thank you for bursting my bubble. :laughing:

this is disney remember.

I had not heard the moving walkway thing before. Wow, is that speculation or something someone found in the plans?

I believe that the gift shops are on the 4th floor of the CR, so the 5th floor would definitely be on level with the monorail station...

while i appreciate "The Shining" vibe on the WLV hallways;) ; i don't care for the name "Kingdom Tower" as to CRV building

starting to think Stephen King is a secret imagineer:rolleyes1 ; anyone familiar with the "Dark Tower" series?

And don't forget about that "Kingdom Hospital" mini-series that was on two or
thr---wait a minute!

KINGDOM Hospital?! KINGDOM TOWER?!?!

:eek:

Doesn't matter---we're IN, just as soon as we can get in! Been waiting for this very thing to take the DVC plunge!!! Happy Day!!!

Scott in MO

While there are hotels with inclined moving walkways, they aren't common. I would guess that the common belief is that unless an incline is necessary, they present problems if and when they break down.

I'd have to speculate that the walkway will be level, straight across to the CR. Now, the only question in my mind is whether the 5th floor of the KT is on the same level with the 5th floor of the CR. It's possible, though not very probable, that the floors are off from one another, with the 5th of KT lining up with the 4th of the CR. However, the buildings appear to be generally on grade with one another. What I keep coming back to is how it would be an absolute eyesore if they connected that walkway directly to the monorail station. They would have to break through the north end of the CR and it would be an ugly penetration of an architecturally pleasing view from the CR.

All in all, still a construction mystery...

They would have to break through the north end of the CR and it would be an ugly penetration of an architecturally pleasing view from the CR.

I agree, which is why I think its going to connect to the 4th floor of CR as well. Its just what makes the most sense and would seem to be the "easiest" of all the options. Look at it this way, the original elevator set up at CR requires you to go to the 4th floor first (see gift shop and restaurant reference previously), and then hop on the escalator or another elevator to the monorail. I dont think with the new tower that they would now have everyone go to the monorail level, and then downstairs if they are going to Chef Mickey's, etc. Someone before said it best: Its Disney, they wont miss an opportunity to sell you something!

I do wonder how level that would make the walkway, however. Can you imagine the amount of complaints from exhausted tourists who now have to walk up an incline to get to their room. This is America people, we dont do inclines:rotfl2: :rotfl:

Me either -

What I did find interesting is that part of the dues will be to maintain the pools, beaches and boat docks at the CR. It also sounded like there will be use of pool, beach etc facilities at both the CR and KTV allowed for people staying at either resort. I may have read that part wrong but that is what I thought it said. There is also a specific statement that the monorail is nearby but is not part of the condominium association. I would think that means dues will not be used towards maintenance of said monorail system. It also gives the disclaimer that people should not by based on the continuing availability of the CR resort facilities(restaurants, pools, monorail etc.). Guess that just covers them in case they should ever cease operations of those things. It did say the walkway between the buildings in the responsibility of the condominium association and that upkeep, maintenance and repair of it will be included in dues.

This is similar for all resorts. At others where there is a hotel and DVC, they share costs for the common elements of the entire resort, including pools boat dock, etc. Moreover, you will be charged dues for the monorail. It is just deemed not to be part at the overall CR/KTR resort property -- just like buses and boats at other DVC resorts for which the members still pay dues. Also, like at other resorts, Disney reserves the right to change or shut-down the part of the resort that is not DVC, a typical clause included in other DVC resort documents..

thr---wait a minute!

I have to say that Stephen King was the very first thing I thought for when I heard the name Kingdom towers.

I'd have to speculate that the walkway will be level, straight across to the CR. Now, the only question in my mind is whether the 5th floor of the KT is on the same level with the 5th floor of the CR. It's possible, though not very probable, that the floors are off from one another, with the 5th of KT lining up with the 4th of the CR. However, the buildings appear to be generally on grade with one another. What I keep coming back to is how it would be an absolute eyesore if they connected that walkway directly to the monorail station. They would have to break through the north end of the CR and it would be an ugly penetration of an architecturally pleasing view from the CR.

First, let me apologize for the size of this photo. I've tried every trick I know but Photobucket won't let me post a reduced version. I've spent about an hour trying, and I must move on. Anyway . . .

I thought this might help. I took this picture in June 2006 when guests were still staying in the North Wing. We had already heard about the new tower and changes to the Concourse on a previous trip and had expected to see lots of construction on this visit, but the construction at the north end of the Concourse was all that was happening at the time. CM's were saying it was only minor refurbishment, but DH said it appeared to be structural work in preparation for the walkway connector. I took the photo in the evening after the workers had left for the day, but while they were there all the work was being done on the outside. Concrete platforms were lifted, rebar was visible -- it seemed like more than just a window washing. If I had to GUESS, I would think this is where the walkway will connect to the main tower. As deej696 pointed out, everyone coming from the new tower wouldn't necessarily be headed for the monorail so it wouldn't be prudent to route them there where they'd add to the congestion on the monorail platform.

Again, I apologize for the size of the photo. I have a couple of others taken from the Concourse level, but they don't shed any more light and, because of the size, I won't bother posting them.

29-ConcourseConstructionNorthEnd.jpg

At any rate, at least we know.

And finally, I'm another one who would like "Magic Kingdom Tower" a lot more than Kingdom Tower. Since the Contemporary isn't so contemporary any more, maybe they should change the name of the whole thing to Magic Kingdom Resort, or Magic Kingdom Gateway Resort.

I don't know how they missed the mark with the name. Kingdom Tower sounds like an office building. Magic Kingdom Tower is definitely better. The Villas at the Magic Kingdom, or Magic Kingdom Villas, all say Disney to me.

I thought this might help. I took this picture in June 2006 when guests were still staying in the North Wing. We had already heard about the new tower and changes to the Concourse on a previous trip and had expected to see lots of construction on this visit, but the construction at the north end of the Concourse was all that was happening at the time. CM's were saying it was only minor refurbishment, but DH said it appeared to be structural work in preparation for the walkway connector. I took the photo in the evening after the workers had left for the day, but while they were there all the work was being done on the outside. Concrete platforms were lifted, rebar was visible -- it seemed like more than just a window washing. If I had to GUESS, I would think this is where the walkway will connect to the main tower. As deej696 pointed out, everyone coming from the new tower wouldn't necessarily be headed for the monorail so it wouldn't be prudent to route them there where they'd add to the congestion on the monorail platform.

Thanks for the neat picture! :goodvibes I agree with your guess. :thumbsup2

First, let me apologize for the size of this photo. I've tried every trick I know but Photobucket won't let me post a reduced version. I've spent about an hour trying, and I must move on. Anyway . . .

Again, I apologize for the size of the photo. I have a couple of others taken from the Concourse level, but they don't shed any more light and, because of the size, I won't bother posting them.

29-ConcourseConstructionNorthEnd.jpg
Thanks for the photo!!! Anyone have any of the construction outside on tower?

thr---wait a minute!

I have to say that Stephen King was the very first thing I thought for when I heard the name Kingdom towers.

I don't know how they missed the mark with the name. Kingdom Tower sounds like an office building. Magic Kingdom Tower is definitely better. The Villas at the Magic Kingdom, or Magic Kingdom Villas, all say Disney to me.

Well, I would wait for an official announcement from DVC with their final selection of resort name. Who knows what it may or may not end up being? LOL.

But I will say, I hate the acronyms floating about. KTV sounds like a West Coast TV station and KTR sounds like a radio station.

Yeah, but the "old" acronym of CRV is just as bad. It's a HONDA! :lmao: How about "Keys to the Kingdom Towers" in keeping with ithe resort being at the "front door" of the Kingdom? JMHO :goodvibes

thr---wait a minute!

:eek:

Doesn't matter---we're IN, just as soon as we can get in! Been waiting for this very thing to take the DVC plunge!!! Happy Day!!!

Scott in MO

not that it wasn't utterly forgetable;) long as there aren't any old burial grounds involved we should be a-0k.

i still keep thinking The Lord's Prayer:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter