Kid's meals on DDP

I know I'm in the teensy tiny minority here but I think my kids are going to love the new menus. We go for 7-8 nights and If I let them eat sweats, sodas, french fries that their systems aren't use to having every meal, they and therefor us will be miserable by the end of the week. We will do a few buffets where they will be able to have whatever they want, they will have regular deserts and fries occasionally off our plates. They will have soft drinks some. They absolutely love grapes, applesauce, and jello and will find it a treat to get them everyday...as opposed to having to jump through hoops in past trips to obtain these without extra expense. They like to drink milk, water and juice. The like plain foods...they love plain pasta with maybe some parmasean cheese sprinkled on top (yuck) which I've read you can request if nothing else suits. That said they do love hot dogs and chicken fingers and fries but that is definitely more of the kind of thing they would get sick of seeing on their plate. I've also seen comments on the flatbread (?) pizza, well to my son pizza is pizza and that is what he gets in several of the local restaurants. I'm so glad that this actually seems a menu that will be less of a struggle for us to find what they will enjoy eating.

I know I'm in the teensy tiny minority here but I think my kids are going to love the new menus. We go for 7-8 nights and If I let them eat sweats, sodas, french fries that their systems aren't use to having every meal, they and therefor us will be miserable by the end of the week. We will do a few buffets where they will be able to have whatever they want, they will have regular deserts and fries occasionally off our plates. They will have soft drinks some. They absolutely love grapes, applesauce, and jello and will find it a treat to get them everyday...as opposed to having to jump through hoops in past trips to obtain these without extra expense. They like to drink milk, water and juice. The like plain foods...they love plain pasta with maybe some parmasean cheese sprinkled on top (yuck) which I've read you can request if nothing else suits. That said they do love hot dogs and chicken fingers and fries but that is definitely more of the kind of thing they would get sick of seeing on their plate. I've also seen comments on the flatbread (?) pizza, well to my son pizza is pizza and that is what he gets in several of the local restaurants. I'm so glad that this actually seems a menu that will be less of a struggle for us to find what they will enjoy eating.

My problem isn't with the grapes/applesauce,etc. It's more with the "main course" food choices - chilled chicken, mac n cheese, sloppy joes - my kids won't eat these! How about hamburgers, chicken strips, grilled cheese? I'd just like a little more variety. I haven't heard that you can get plain pasta at any CS restaurants (my kids love noodles), or any type of pizza (I think these are at the TS restaurants) My kids also only drink water, milk or juice. They don't like pop yet - too "fizzy"!

My plan is to see what they'll eat, but assume they'll be sharing with me! I also plan to use my snack credits for some good choices between meals.

I believe a lot of people allow minor annoyances to adversely affect their vacations in unfounded ways.

I would have to agree with this - though I'm not happy with the kids' choices, we're still going to have a fantastic time - I mean, this is Disney World:banana: My problem is I tend to overplan (boy, do I) and scrutinize every little aspect of the trip. Sometimes, it's better just to go and have fun!:yay:

The childrens menu is our number one reason why we are not doing the dining plan. The food really sounds like garbage. We would rather pay and let them order what they want off any part of the menu.

It's also not possible to satisfy everyone. For every person who says "Yes, but MY kids won't eat those choices!" there's another person whose kids will eat them, but would not eat whatever the original person's kids would. At some point, a choice has to be made on what meals to offer and it is impossible to do this without having some group making the above complaint. If the DDP limits you to choices you don't want, then maybe the DDP isn't for you - it's only one option......

My only real wish is that they'd up the quality on the mac and cheese. The places that make their own usually make it well. The rest all seem to be serving that plasticy, gloppy, Stouffers-ish stuff. It's not a DDP issue, but if I had some pixie dust to sprinkle on the food, this would be one place I'd start. :) Really, even high-quality, homemade mac and cheese isn't exactly expensive to make......

Whatever. The mac and cheese isn't exactly keeping DD from wanting to go back. :) There are places I can get her a burger, pizza, fries, whatever. I simply go through the menus and figure out what places work for us. <shrug>

The childrens menu is our number one reason why we are not doing the dining plan. The food really sounds like garbage. We would rather pay and let them order what they want off any part of the menu.

The kids meal plan costs $11. The snack is worth $3-$4 and a TS character dinner is worth around $15 with tax and tip. You can buy the kids meal plan and get your monies worth even if you pay cash for some kids meals.

If the DDP limits you to choices you don't want, then maybe the DDP isn't for you - it's only one option......

Actually, this isn't food that's only on the DDP - it's the kids' meal option whether you're on DDP on OOP. Otherwise you're paying for all "adult" meals. Gets kind of expensive...

The kids meal plan costs $11. The snack is worth $3-$4 and a TS character dinner is worth around $15 with tax and tip. You can buy the kids meal plan and get your monies worth even if you pay cash for some kids meals.

I agree - it seems a waste of food, but the DDP is really still cheaper IMO.

jdd - I know, but when you're just paying OOP, you're a bit more flexible as far as splitting an adult meal between two kids or buying items a la carte, etc. We've gone with and without the DDP and, as <ahem> frugal as I am, we've found affordable ways to eat in both cases. It really isn't a matter of just buying all adult meals all of a sudden......

ETA: I think the point still stands that the DDP just isn't for everyone. That's not as big a deal as some would have us all believe. It's just one option among many and it works better for some than for others.

jdd - I know, but when you're just paying OOP, you're a bit more flexible as far as splitting an adult meal between two kids or buying items a la carte, etc. We've gone with and without the DDP and, as <ahem> frugal as I am, we've found affordable ways to eat in both cases. It really isn't a matter of just buying all adult meals all of a sudden......

ETA: I think the point still stands that the DDP just isn't for everyone. That's not as big a deal as some would have us all believe. It's just one option among many and it works better for some than for others.

Very true. I really wasn't sure whether I wanted to use DDP this year or not. My deciding factor was just that it's easier - I like knowing it's paid for up front and we (adults) can order anything off the menu. Otherwise, my husband would be adding up our expenses all week and not enjoying himself as much;)

I too am frustrated to read the menus for children now. Yes I realize that the DDP is still a good deal, however, it is our vacation and I don't understand how great meals can be offered for adults (steak, seafood) and yet children are expected in many restaurants to eat these meals. I am different that some families in that my two children 5 & 7 eat just about anything and enjoy sushi, seafood, steak, etc., however, they have never eaten PB&J, and rarely eat nuggets, mac and cheese and would not enjoy a week of these. So I have booked TS restaurants that will offer healthy and varied foods - BOMA, Le Cellier, Mama Melrose, Chef Mickey, etc. - (I had to select more buffets than I would have liked) but I am wondering if any CS or TS will simply serve a smaller portion (kid-sized) of adult meals.

I am a bit confused...how do Disney stop you ordering all adult meals if they dont seperate the cs credits?

Yes I realize that the DDP is still a good deal, however, it is our vacation and I don't understand how great meals can be offered for adults (steak, seafood) and yet children are expected in many restaurants to eat these meals.
It isn't usual for abuse situations to lead Disney to take action that results in inconvenience for all of us, rather than just those who would abuse their offerings. It sometimes is just impossible to make such fine distinctions to prevent that. It's a shame. :(

I am wondering if any CS or TS will simply serve a smaller portion (kid-sized) of adult meals.
Generally, expect the answer to be no, for the reasons that Lewis has already mentioned.

I am a bit confused...how do Disney stop you ordering all adult meals if they dont seperate the cs credits?
Sometimes I think, with Disney, hope springs eternal. They hope that guests will voluntarily comply with the rules, and only take the kind of action I mentioned above in this message if they absolutely have to, to address substantial abuse.

I hope we aren't forgetting, while we discuss business, and profit, and the bottom line...that Disney is supposed to be a fun and pleasant place for children? ;) CS offerings for guests age 9 and under shouldn't have to be nauseating (like that yummy sounding "chilled chicken") to discourage adults from ordering kiddie meals for themselves.

It is a fun and pleasant place for kids. I was a little worried about the CS offerings for children but decided to see how it went. Pecos Bill was the only CS restaurant that there was nothing for her....not on any part of the menu. We ordered fries with a snack credit and she nibbled on them. She found plenty to eat everywhere else and while the chicken was not always called "nuggets" the strips were good and there was plenty for her. I would not have described any of the food nauseating.

I don't pretend to know the inside scoop regarding Disney business decisions, but I would guess that as a company they are in a no win situation. Fatty high calorie foods for my kids? No way. Low calorie options with grapes and carrots? We are on vacation! Too much food! Not enough food! For every person happy with the selection as a whole there is probable a family that it is not going to work for.

We decided that $11 a day was a reasonable price for her TS and snack, and that if there was no CS options that appealed to her one of us would share our meal or we would buy her what she wanted. We felt that the CS was a bonus that was over the value of the plan. I know that others may not feel the same as we did, but there was no frustration for us at lunchtime, and that was my intention.

I don't pretend to know the inside scoop regarding Disney business decisions, but I would guess that as a company they are in a no win situation. Fatty high calorie foods for my kids? No way. Low calorie options with grapes and carrots? We are on vacation! Too much food! Not enough food! For every person happy with the selection as a whole there is probable a family that it is not going to work for.
Not to mention the folks for which no amount of generosity would be sufficient.

I think you're reading a lot more into what's being discussed than is actual, and I believe a lot of people allow minor annoyances to adversely affect their vacations in unfounded ways.

Cranky, hungry kids can definitely adversely affect your vacation -- and the vacations of everyone around you, unfortunately. Disney does not want people bringing outside food into the parks -- no amusement park wants that. Disney does not want people leaving the parks -- they want you to spend your money on food, entertainment, and souvenirs at Disney. So it is fair to the guests and makes good business sense that they would put items on their children's menus that appeal to the majority of children.

It's not "nauseating". That's hyperbole, and all hyperbole does adds more emotion/less logic to the discussion.

Mea culpa, bicker. "Nauseating" is an emotionally charged word, like..."twisted" or "entitlement" ;) So, following your example..."We need a better word... how about 'unappealing'?" Comments posted here by parents who actually tasted their kids' food indicated that they found it very unappealing.

Some children, like my DN6, actually prefer bland food.

Agreed, many children do. Ask her if she'd rather have a sloppy joe, or a plain hamburger? "Chilled chicken" or chicken strips?

There is an illusion to the public that there are many different CS restaurants at Disney, when they are all actually owned by Disney. Are they even still "sponsored" by other companies? I remember "Casa de Fritos" at DL :rotfl2: But if they are all owned by Disney, it shouldn't be that difficult to:

~standardize a kid's menu across the board with tried and true basic entrees (ie: burger, chicken strips, cheese pizza, pb&j, mac and cheese.) They already offer these items at different restaurants throughout the park, so they should be able to put all or most of them on every CS menu.

~tweak the menu with an additional entree or two appropriate to the restaurant's theme (bean burrito or cheese quesadilla at a Mexican restaurant; small portion of fish and chips at a seafood place; BBQ chicken leg at a BBQ place; mini pepperoni pizza at a pizza place, etc). That way, the kids can feel like they are participating in the same fun "themed" dining as the rest of their family.

~and increase the options with other kid-appealing sides, like teddy grahams, raisins, yogurt, etc

As Lewis suggested, blame greedy adults who have been abusing Disney's generosity for decades. I can point you towards dozens of threads that show the kind of behavior we're referring to, if you'd like.

ITA -- having witnessed the horrid behavior of some greedy adults at DL, I do not doubt this at all. :sad2: The Disney marketing folks :wizard: and the Disney dining folks are brilliant :idea: I have absolute confidence that they could figure out a way to make the kids' meals more appealing to children without making them sound delicious to adults. I'd rather have a salad with my burger instead of a fruit roll-up -- wouldn't you? :thumbsup2

Peace,

Cranky, hungry kids can definitely adversely affect your vacation
Then don't let them get hungry. :confused3 We didn't have any problem keeping our little one's fed during our trip last year.

they want you to spend your money on food, entertainment, and souvenirs at Disney.
Absolutely. Most people who spend that much on fostering such an environment want to capitalize on their investment. They offer you what they offer you, and anything more you want you can pay extra for.

Mea culpa, bicker. "Nauseating" is an emotionally charged word, like..."twisted" or "entitlement" ;)
Regarding "twisted" -- I readily and sincerely acknowledged that my wording was inappropriate, and we came to an agreement about a better word. I'm asking you to do the same with regard to "nauseating"... actually, not -- rather please just let me say what I will about what you said, i.e., that it was emotionally-laden rather than rational. No action necessary on your part. :goodvibes We really don't need to be talking about the discussion. :)

Entitlement is another issue. I use that word in a factual sense, not as an emotionally-laden hyperbole. If you feel my use of the word "entitlement" is overly-emotional, I think you may be underestimating the gravity of the problem.

it shouldn't be that difficult to:...
I think you're missing the point. Please go back and read Lewis' and my messages again.

We decided that $11 a day was a reasonable price for her TS and snack, and that if there was no CS options that appealed to her one of us would share our meal or we would buy her what she wanted. We felt that the CS was a bonus that was over the value of the plan.

This is an excellent point -- for a child's TS (especially a buffet or a CM) and a snack every day, the DDP is a very good deal! I was specifically addressing comments about the poor quality/choices for children at the CS restaurants in general -- and I haven't been to WDW yet, I'm going by what's at DL, which sounds very similar to what many parents are describing at WDW. Since this is specifically a "DDP" thread, it's a bit off topic, so sorry about that :o

Okay, so how about this? Let's get rid of the child meals, as they are now. For the Dining Plan, let's charge $22 per day per child 3 - 9 years old. For cash customers, let's charge $5.49 for CS meals for children that currently cost $3.99 ($5.99 for $4.99, etc.) and let's charge $16 for child meals at TS restaurants instead of $7.99. Then, let's make each child meal a choice between a child favorite or a one-third portion of an adult meal.

Would that work out for you?

This is an excellent point -- for a child's TS (especially a buffet or a CM) and a snack every day, the DDP is a very good deal! I was specifically addressing comments about the poor quality/choices for children at the CS restaurants in general -- and I haven't been to WDW yet, I'm going by what's at DL, which sounds very similar to what many parents are describing at WDW. Since this is specifically a "DDP" thread, it's a bit off topic, so sorry about that :o

No apologies are needed :thumbsup2. I know that there are a lot of complaints about the CS meals for kids and I guess that we were fortunate because for the most part, my DGD was happy with her choices. I think that while there are complaints here, you may find that in practice it is not too bad. Honestly, and this may not be the answer for everybody, but there is a lot of food in an adult CS meal. My family is not good at portion control on our own, so some of us shared a meal most days. There was plenty of CS credits to get an adult meal for Kady if we had needed too. My DD actually ordered a child meal for herself one day because she did not want so much.

I would encourage those who are worried to see for themselves because all the worries may be for little or nothing. We brought our emergency peanut butter and bread just in case, and the only one who touched it was my 29 YO DS, because he was too hungry that morning to wait for breakfast :rotfl2:.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter