Kevin's take on Galaxy's Edge

And as far as the Star Wars experience goes, if the freaking $1 BILLION they spent didn’t make it incredibly, profoundly immersive, a few made up words aren’t going to make up whatever it lacks.
I disagree. Its small details like language and cast interaction that make that immersion. Physical props only go so far.

Merchandise, buildings, attractions, dining, and characters/cast all go into making something immersive.

There actually is a great series on YouTube from Imagineering about what all goes into creating an immersive land like SWGE or Pandora.

We will just have to agree to disagree. No I haven't been inside the land yet but I have been tracking everything and anything about this land since it was first rumored in 2012-13.

I will know going in what to expect so something like data pad, and facial scanner won't bother me. I know that is not everyone but for me thats part of the experience and adds to the immersion. It is something I look forward too.

Having cast say oh let me take your photo with your iPhone would throw it off IMO. This is all about putting you inside that universe. We don't have to agree on this aspect and I know many of us won't and thats okay. I just don't see a problem with it.

When signing our bill at the cantina, I was handed a Bic Stic pen.

Prepare for the immersive atmosphere to be destroyed unless you think thats what was used in the movie.

Or there is some other inane reason for it to be there.

Black Spire Outposts also uses US dollars...weird for a different planet. And credit cards or Disney Gift Cards.

And the cast members were wearing black sneakers.

I would also mention that the actual restrooms...once you find them....are labeled RESTROOMS.

When we we first went to Aulani, they were trying for immersion. When you asked a question, the CM asked "do you mean....". It got old real quick.

They've stopped doing that.

Last edited:
We will just have to agree to disagree. No I haven't been inside the land yet but I have been tracking everything and anything about this land since it was first rumored in 2012-13.

I will know going in what to expect so something like data pad, and facial scanner won't bother me. I know that is not everyone but for me thats part of the experience and adds to the immersion. It is something I look forward too.

Having cast say oh let me take your photo with your iPhone would throw it off IMO. This is all about putting you inside that universe. We don't have to agree on this aspect and I know many of us won't and thats okay. I just don't see a problem with it.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Camerahttps://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Toilethttps://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Phone
Just saying.

When signing our bill at the cantina, I was handed a Bic Stic pen.

Prepare for the immersive atmosphere to be destroyed unless you think thats whats used in the movie.
Well people ruined the silverware as well. They have special designed sporks for the dining venues and people were stealing them and putting them on eBay so now we just get regular forks. There of course has to be some areas where you just can’t not have something like a pen but I don’t think that’s the same thing as the language of the land.

Yeah sort of similar to Pandora in a way. Residents of Pandora are with ACE and are human but may not necessarily have been born on Earth. Obviously the language immersion is not always as strong on Pandora.

I thought about the reverse situation. If the Batuu know/have light speed, did they populate Earth with humans? If so, then our/Earth language of restrooms/bathrooms/technology/customs would be handed-down from the Batuu and wouldn't be different. We'd be speaking in terms of the Batuu/CMs. :confused3

I'm getting a headache.

Thanks for the links. I still don’t have a problem with how they’ve gone about things. I do understand what many others are saying here though. To me this is only the beginning as we continue in this whole immersive land/world phase of theme park expansion.

I did have a problem with it. I thought it was annoying.

I dont imagine it will last long

I did have a problem with it. I thought it was annoying.

I dont imagine it will last long
I’m sorry you felt that way but I haven’t heard of them changing anything in Disneyland as of yet so I’m not sure it will change quickly. I also think it will depend on the CM like most things at Disney. Each CM does things a bit differently which can be frustrating.

When we we first went to Aulani, they were trying for immersion. When you asked a question, the CM asked "do you mean....". It got old real quick.

I can definitely see that getting annoying - and they should adjust as if you say restroom clearly you meant "restroom" they shouldn't like try to correct you. Ideally they are prepared for those that want the deepest level of immersion but quickly adapt to those that aren't. Everyone should be made to feel welcome no matter what they want out of the experience

Kinda sad to hear about the big pens - that seems like something easy to avoid

It's not like Pandora where we are from our Earth visiting the land, it is supposed to be like we are part of the Star Wars Universe ourselves - so only things that exist in Star Wars exist there

That puts things into more context for me. In thinking about this more, I am now leaning more towards enjoying this interaction/immersion level.

They've stopped doing that.

Aulani? What kind of immersion were they trying for? I'm very out of the loop on the immersion genre it seems.

WOW, so many complainers here, IF Disney did not go this route can one imagine how the same ones complaining would whine about it not being good enough or not going the extra route, and no it will last kevo et all, so get used to it. If one does not like it just simply dont go and let the others enjoy themselves without listening to others who just cant let go then complain about it.......wow....

WOW, so many complainers here, IF Disney did not go this route can one imagine how the same ones complaining would whine about it not being good enough or not going the extra route, and no it will last kevo et all, so get used to it. If one does not like it just simply dont go and let the others enjoy themselves without listening to others who just cant let go then complain about it.......wow....
This isn’t right either. The complaints or issues presented in this thread are valid. Each person and what they want to experience in a theme park is different. Every single person that goes into a theme park experiences it different and that’s okay. There is no right or wrong way to experience a theme park.

This isn’t right either. The complaints or issues presented in this thread are valid. Each person and what they want to experience in a theme park is different. Every single person that goes into a theme park experiences it different and that’s okay. There is no right or wrong way to experience a theme park.

You are 1000% right but what makes it wrong it go on to social media and whine about it and expect others to follow along in such a public forum/way.........come on now....

I think the challenge is for the guests that truly want the immersion, if you do say Bathrooms right from the start it breaks that. So I think it is ok to start with it, but you need to pick up quickly that the person is not into that level of immersion and change to using standard language

Or even just answer the question but with the term for the land, not questioning back to the person. So rather than saying "do you mean the bodily waste removal room?" just answer as "the bodily waste removal room is down that path and to the right" or whatever
I think that your suggested approach is the perfect compromise.

You are 1000% right but what makes it wrong it go on to social media and whine about it and expect others to follow along in such a public forum/way.........come on now....
Kevin and everyone on the Dis have a public forum to voice their opinion. They can do that in anyway they so choose. I will and certainly have say something on twitter or other places when I have a bad experience with cast or other things.

The problem with this entire conversation, as is often the case here, is that we are avid Disney fans. We read these forums, listen to the podcasts, watch the vlogs, and suck in as much Disney info as we can get our hands on. We are tiny fraction of a percentage of Disney World's guests.

Most people simply don't have a clue. A great many people book a trip to WDW and do zero research or planning. Then they show up and haven't got the slightest idea what is happening or what they need to do. They think FastPass is something you have to pay for. They don't understand why they can't have dinner at BOG or why they can't ride Peter Pan. It is beyond their comprehension that they were supposed to make lunch reservations 180 days ago or decide which rides they wanted to get on 60 days ago. The night we had dinner at BOG a few years ago, we were waiting to be let in. A woman walked up and asked how long the wait was to be seated and the CM said, "6 months". Needless to say, the woman was shocked.

Normal people who aren't into this stuff like we are, which is most people, aren't going to buy in to the whole immersion and different language thing. They just aren't. Add in the fact that a great many international travelers come to WDW who already struggle with the language barrier because English isn't their native tongue.

I think in the proper setting, complete story immersion is an amazing thing. One of the most heavily visited theme parks in the world just isn't the proper setting. I agree with Kevin that it won't last. They will do it for a while and then gradually tone it down to a more widely acceptable level as they have at Aulani.

I've done a couple of things over the years where there was immersion involved and everyone had their role to play and it was a ton of fun, but it was on a small scale and it was exactly what we had all signed up for. That just isn't the case here. It's fine if you're into it - go with it and enjoy - but the reality is that 99% of guests won't be.

I’m Australian. When an American backpacker comes up to me on my lunch break wandering around the city and asks me where the restrooms are. I don’t waste their time explaining that in Australia we call them “toilets”. I point them to the nearest toilet and let everyone get on their way. I know what they mean.

We are tourists on Batu’u. How is it any different?

I’m Australian. When an American backpacker comes up to me on my lunch break wandering around the city and asks me where the restrooms are. I don’t waste their time explaining that in Australia we call them “toilets”. I point them to the nearest toilet and let everyone get on their way. I know what they mean.

We are tourists on Batu’u. How is it any different?
I think this is different because they want the guest to be part of the story. Having the guests learn what the language is or how people on Batuu act then they can participate as well. Disney and Imagineering have been all about having guests be part of the story.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!