Keeping your walking boot dry...

lillykat

DIS Veteran
So my daughter has a bad sprain and will be in a walking boot for our trip next week. She is still on crutches but the doctor wants her to start weight bearing in the boot over the weekend. The doctor suggested for water rides maybe she could take it off and leave it with her wheelchair. But shrugged when I asked what about rain? Looking quickly online I see covers but not real waterproof ones. What have others done to keep their boot dry?

This week I landed myself in a walking boot for the second time in two years. We still have snow patches on the ground here, and on Monday it snowed, rained, freezing rained, and ice pelleted all in one day.

IME, the "My Recovers" walking boot weather covers do a good job of keeping the boot dry as long as you don't go slogging through puddles - they are open at the bottom so you still have the benefit of the non-slip traction of the boot bottom.

https://www.myrecovers.com/Walking-Boot-Covers-Outdoor-Weather-Covers-s/1852.htm

I bought mine via Amazon.

A few notes:

- they get HOT and since the fabric is waterproof there is no way for them to breathe the perspiration out [not that the boot itself does any kind of job of that either - in warm weather by the end of each day my sock inside was soaking wet - so just magnify the limited breathability of the boot with no cover by no breathability and you get the idea], so take it off if it isn't needed;

- bring extra liner socks. I just bought two more [via Amazon] because this time round I didn't want to be washing a sock each night for 6 weeks. BTDT. So I now have three socks and can rotate them and only need to wash 'em all every 3 nights :-) But also, when you have to wear the liner cover or when going around in the wet, a change of liner sock may be needed mid day.

She may also need an "Evenup shoe leveler" for her other leg. Two years ago I didn't use one because I had a pair of shoes whose heel was thick enough, but those shoes really made my good foot unhappy [I had stopped wearing the shoes a while before for that reason]. So this time round I bought the Evenup and used it for the first time today with one of my favourite shoes. Massive difference. I HIGHLY recommend. I bought mine via Amazon with next day delivery. http://www.evenupcorp.com/

Good luck !

SW

For a water ride, maybe you could do something like this to be extra safe, but with the timing of loading and launching someone else will have to time in on how feasible it would actually would be - I haven't ridden a water ride in many years since we usually visit in December and it is ALWAYS cold when we visit the parks :-)

- cover the boot with the waterproof boot cover [e.g. My Recovers]
- wear that onto the ride
- once seated, put booted leg into a large clear garbage bag [well, it doesn't have to be clear, but clear lets you keep an eye on it] and tie off the top gently around the leg well above the boot [I am thinking a clear recycling garbage bag, but even a basic garbage bag would work as long as it is tall enough; tie gently so it can be untied quickly] - that should protect it from splashing from the ride
- at end of ride as approaching debark point, quickly remove the bag and bring it with you to either trash or reuse later

Do NOT try walking with the bag over the boot as that is likely a recipe for a slip and fall disaster.

This may be a very BAD idea, too. Hopefully some others will chime in.

SW

I agree about the "even up" shoe - I don't know how people walk with a boot unless they have a shoe to elevate the other foot!

I wouldn't wear the boot on a wet ride. Is it possible to bring two boots and swap them daily if one gets wet? If you happen to get any of that monsoon type rain it's hard to not something like that wet! I had a boot for awhile and then a walking shoe. I was using the shoe when we got to WDW and I brought two so I could swap them.

I agree about the "even up" shoe - I don't know how people walk with a boot unless they have a shoe to elevate the other foot!

I wouldn't wear the boot on a wet ride. Is it possible to bring two boots and swap them daily if one gets wet? If you happen to get any of that monsoon type rain it's hard to not something like that wet! I had a boot for awhile and then a walking shoe. I was using the shoe when we got to WDW and I brought two so I could swap them.

My issue is PT and ortho aren’t sure what she will be able to do. She only started weight bearing last night. Today is her first day on one crutch putting weight on the foot. They suggested a wheelchair so she doesn’t get too tired. But they said she should take it off for water rides. They feel she will be able to walk some but standing walking all day will probably not be possible. So thinking we will get the chair. Let her then go at her pace. If she waljsgrea5 if not ok. I bought a cover recommended above. Not worried so much about a small storm but more about say an all day rain. PT suggested we could Duran wrap the boot, but it might be hard.

Also what do people do about keeping the wheelchairs dry?

First, don’t wory about the wheelchair itself getting wet. It won’t hurt anything. Definitely bring something to wipe the seat and arms down if it gets soaked, but otherwise you’re good there. A poncho is her best bet to stay dry.

I thought about cling wrap as well, but I think a trash bag might work better to keep the boot dry as long as she is in the chair. Just tie it off above the boot. Not sure about walking in the rain though. She might want to avoid doing that anyway just for safety since she won’t be used to walking on it and how it will react in slick situations.

My issue is PT and ortho aren’t sure what she will be able to do. She only started weight bearing last night. Today is her first day on one crutch putting weight on the foot. They suggested a wheelchair so she doesn’t get too tired. But they said she should take it off for water rides. They feel she will be able to walk some but standing walking all day will probably not be possible. So thinking we will get the chair. Let her then go at her pace. If she waljsgrea5 if not ok. I bought a cover recommended above. Not worried so much about a small storm but more about say an all day rain. PT suggested we could Duran wrap the boot, but it might be hard.

Also what do people do about keeping the wheelchairs dry?

Oh yes I wasn't suggesting she walk and not get a WC - I think definitely get a WC. It is SO much walking that it would be too much in my opinion to try it without that. I was just thinking that she needed the walking boot for the little bit of walking she will be doing. I think if she limits her walking time to getting on and off rides and browsing in a store or walking to the bathroom, walking into a restaurant - that may be enough. I usually rent an ECV and notice on my step counter I still get way more steps in there than I do when I'm home. I just thought if she was out touring the park and got caught in a heavy rain and wants to keep going I wondered if you could have a boot to swap out or some thing so she could leave one in the room to get dry/swap into when she goes back to the room. That cover sounds great though - I was wondering if you had time to order it before you go! Saran wrapping the boot sounds interesting. I bought this wrap stuff at the grocery that was super sticky - way more than Saran Wrap: It's by Glad and called Press'n Seal. It's like a billion times better than Saran Wrap I think.

I'd use a plastic poncho to cover the WC if it looks like rain - it might work but it's hard to keep rain out completely. You might want to pack a small towel if it looks like rain and she could sit on it - but take it with you into the ride if you leave the chair parked in the rain. Have fun! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter