Kashmir104's Couture PJ (p.1) & TR (p.28): WP/CR~1/3/09* 5/6: Highlights Video p.30

As promised, here is the sample Cocktail Hour and Dinner Menu I received. I was also told that these are just examples and not set at all (in fact, Kristi said that DF and I can work with the chef team to create whatever menu we'd like. She said they are especially great with tying in ethnic foods with modern flare. The great example of this is the menu from Bride's Magazine/ Disney's Dream Team Wedding. (From what I understand, even though Tyler Florance decided the names of each dish on the menu, he didn't send recipes, so it was up to the Contemporary Chef team to actually create the dishes themselves!)

Just as a warning, I'll give you my opinion on the foods or my reactions to them, but I must admit that even though it sounds very different, it also sounds SUPER yummy!!

Cocktail Hour Samples:
-Mini shrimp martinis (I'm thinking mini cocktail shrimp?)
-Lobster cocktail
-mini mint poulet rouge mojitos (I think chicken dressed with some sort of fancy sauce in a mojito style glass (I think the mint is probably layered or at the bottom or something! For about 2 weeks I honestly thought this was a drink until I googled "Poulet Rouge" and found out it meant chicken! I guess it's true that you can take the girl out of the honky tonk, but you can't take the honky tonk out of the girl!!))
-Long stem strawberry stuffed with goat cheese (I'll admit I thought this was weird at first, but they served it at the Disney Dream wedding and it ended up looking REALLY good! Part of the new trend to do sweet and savory.)
-USDA Prime Beef Tenderloin Fork (also seen at the Disney Dream wedding and in the food picture a few posts ago. This description got a great laugh from my family. Steak on a giant fork. Who would've guessed!)
-Lychee Nut stuffed with Prosciutto and Asiago (different, but it could work!)
-Truffle Cracker with Asiago foam (I'm guessing this isn't the case, but after my mom and I saw "Asiago foam" we looked at each other and both said "foam? like EZ Cheese in a can?!")

Simply Chic Dinner Sample:
First Course
-Wasabi seared scallop encrusted in lemon grass and black sesame seeds served over a nitshiki rice cake with orange tobiko roe
-tat soi greens with Japanese Chrysanthemum and a Plum Wine and Soy Vinaigrette
-asian cucumber essence with rice wine vinegar and dark sesame oil in a won ton cup

Second Course
-Cantaloupe Ginger Sorbet with sake toast (i'm guessing a drink toast, but it could quite possibly be sake flavored bread from a toaster? I'm honestly not sure!)

Third Course
-Tsao style prime beef filet with sweet thai chili butter braised grouper with daikon radish pureed potatoes and petite asian style vegetables
-fresh baked lavosh, prawn chips (????), rice paper and won ton chips served with whipped flavored butters to include: garlic and herb, wasabi and soy, and candied ginger and sake

Fourth Course
-Friandise Selection (I think are little cakes/sweets?)
-banana caramel custard accented with ginger
-coffee and decaffeinated coffe and a selection of teas

I think both menus sound really different, but still really good!! The funniest part is that it almost seems taylored for me! I've always been a huge fan of ginger... my favorite ice cream is ginger (I've only found it at this one shop in Cape Cod) and I wear Origin's Ginger perfume as my scent in Fall and Winter (I think I've been wearing it for like 6-7 years now??) When my family thinks of ginger they immediately think of me, so we were all very excited to see the sorbet and dessert containing ginger. It's so me!!!

For our menu, we probably won't have such a huge Asian/Japanese influence (but we might! Who knows! We love all sorts of food!) DF and I might ask for a bit of an Indian influence (to bring in some of DF's culture. Although to be honest, I make a better Indian than he does! :rotfl: especially after studying India for 4 years in college, but he knows barely anything about his people! Let's just say his friends have been known to joke with DF and say he's "white trash" since next to his family's huge house is an old, rusted, beat-up 1965 Mustang just waiting to be worked on), but at the same time I'd want to bring in some of my heritage too, but I think people might think it's weird to start with mini weinerschnitzles and kraut for the cocktail hour, borscht and perogies as the first course soup and appetizer, and dahl, curried chicken, and naan/roti for dinner. That just sounds like a war in the tummy for sure! :eek: We have plenty of time to try to come up with some decent ideas (and I'm sure the Contemporary Chefs will have a bunch!)

My only requests as of right now will be Mickey's Holiday Blend Coffee and the regular Disney coffee to be served at the end of the night along with chai. Mickey's Holiday Blend is my mom's favorite kind (I also like it a lot too!) and I love how no matter where you get a cup of coffee in Disney, it magically tastes perfect and the same every time. I want that to be served as well for sure! I'd also like to request that the tea choice also include Chai. I love Indian tea myself, and I'm sure that DF's family (and perhaps some of my guests too) will appreciate the thoughtfulness behind the offering of chai. I wonder if Mickey's Holiday Blend Coffee or Chai have been special wedding menu requests before!! :laughing:

I wanna know if they have someone in the bakery/kitchen who sole job is to think of fancy names for food:rotfl:

instead of shrimp cocktail its a shrimp martini or its really beef on a fork hahaha

I have to admit I'm a big fan of fancy desserts even though most of them are dough and cream, calling them something fancy makes them even more delicious!

I wanted to actually post that the decor pics look absolutely stunning!

Please keep us in the loop with the wedding planning - its the first couture I think we have all heard about!

I wanna know if they have someone in the bakery/kitchen who sole job is to think of fancy names for food:rotfl:

instead of shrimp cocktail its a shrimp martini or its really beef on a fork hahaha

I have to admit I'm a big fan of fancy desserts even though most of them are dough and cream, calling them something fancy makes them even more delicious!

Haha! I agree!!! I think coming up with those descriptions is a huge job in itself! :rotfl: And it's funny how everything sounds better (and sometimes even tastes better) and seems exotic when it's fancy.. all because of the name!

Love how everything sounds Courtney!! It sounds really amazing - and so posh! I think it's safe to say you're going to have the best day of your lives!!

I think it's really cool how you want to incorporate both your heritages into the wedding! I love Indian food today - give me a Sheek Kebab and a Chicken Dopiaza anyday!! :)

That menu made me hungry! Yummy! It sounds amazing and it is neat that you can really customize it. I love Chai so I can totally understand wanting it at your reception. It will be a nice touch for your DF's family. Plus, it's just plain delicious! I'm sure the Contemporary kitchen will have no problem producing it.

I'm really looking forward to reading all about your planning and couture wedding!

I've loved reading your planning journal so far. The simply chic is gorgeous and I just love calla lilies. This is going to be a spectacular wedding! The menu is wild, the names must have taken someone forever to come up with.

I love the Contempory, the food should be spectacular. We love staying on the 14th floor, the view of the MK is unbelievable.

Love how everything sounds Courtney!! It sounds really amazing - and so posh! I think it's safe to say you're going to have the best day of your lives!!

I think it's really cool how you want to incorporate both your heritages into the wedding! I love Indian food today - give me a Sheek Kebab and a Chicken Dopiaza anyday!! :)

Thanks, Hayley!!! That's so sweet! :hug: I love how you called it posh... hehehe not used to hearing that in America! Sooo cute!

I love Indian food too... I actually never had it before DF (Eric) and I met. The funniest part is that Eric's parents would make Indian food every night for themselves and make Eric "American" food because he refused to eat Indian food from age 13-college! I think he was crazy! He missed out on sooo many good meals!!!

We'll see how well we are able to incorporate my "mutt" heritage into our wedding, but I'm hoping somehow it will be there. We are actually thinking that maybe for our readings we'd make a collection- one from Shakespeare/literary piece, one from the Bible, another from a poet (maybe even my Grandma because she writes poetry as a hobby and it would mean a lot to me), then another in Russian, one in Hindi (from a sanskrit poem or bhagavad gita or something), and then one from the Qu'ran. It might end up being too many readings, but we'll see!!

That menu made me hungry! Yummy! It sounds amazing and it is neat that you can really customize it. I love Chai so I can totally understand wanting it at your reception. It will be a nice touch for your DF's family. Plus, it's just plain delicious! I'm sure the Contemporary kitchen will have no problem producing it.

I'm really looking forward to reading all about your planning and couture wedding!

Thanks for your kind words!!!

I can't wait to also find out what the Contemporary kitchen can come up with! I'm really excited for the tasting session, but that's not until July 2008!!! I don't know if I can last that long, ya know?!? In the mean time I guess I can't just keep trying to plan it out in my own mind. I keep drooling everytime I read all the different cake flavors and options. I honestly don't know how I will be able to choose!

I've loved reading your planning journal so far. The simply chic is gorgeous and I just love calla lilies. This is going to be a spectacular wedding! The menu is wild, the names must have taken someone forever to come up with.

I love the Contempory, the food should be spectacular. We love staying on the 14th floor, the view of the MK is unbelievable.

Thanks so much for reading... and I hope you continue to! I actually didn't know calla lilies very well until a friend of mine got married in Sept. 2 years ago and had them as her bouquet and her BM's bouquets and I thought they looked so elegant and simple. It was very pretty!

I still can't help but laugh at some of the names on the menu... I really would love to mean the person who has the job of looking up all those fancy big words! Perhaps when I have the menus designed I'll have a "translation" underneath. After all, I have farmer in my blood, so hopefully my family won't get too lost! (My mom already threatened to have my dad show up in his rubber, yellow cow pasture boots and flannel shirt!)

Are the rooms on the 14th floor called anything special (suites or something)? Do you know if you're able to request staying on that floor? DF and I are thinking we'll probably stay at the Grand Floridian for most of our "Disneymoon", but I thought it might be fun to stay at the Contemporary a few nights before the wedding, especially since we will probably end up being there for like 10-14 days! I'd love to have a great view with a view of the MK!! Thanks for your help!

I'm just now saying hi :) I've been reading your PJ though and everything looks awesome! I cant wait to see how it all turns out! You'll have to take lots of pictures and post them for us after the wedding ;) Haha

It's so interesting to read about your plans for your couture wedding. When I was at my planning session last week our florist, Laura, was telling us about some of the couture styles. She said that the wedding staff was having a big meeting that Friday since they were in the process of planning their first wedding (other than the fantasy wedding) that is booked for the beginning of 2008. It was interesting to hear her talk about the process they went through setting everything up with David Tutera to get the collection together for DFTW.

Courtney- have you announced the plans to your DF's parents yet? I am assuming you would have told us about it, but I just wanted you to know that I am thinking about ya!

Don't let them even try to bring you down about it. We are all here to support you...because after reading about how your FFIL acted after your engagement, I can only imagine what he'll be like once he hears the news of your DFTW!!!

I am spreading lots of Pixie Dust for you!

I'm just now saying hi :) I've been reading your PJ though and everything looks awesome! I cant wait to see how it all turns out! You'll have to take lots of pictures and post them for us after the wedding ;) Haha

Hi M&M126! I will definitely be posting ALL my pictures to share with everyone (from the planning to the wedding!) Actually, my mom, sister, and I will be meeting with Maring Lifestyle Photographers on Thursday evening to talk about them photographing our wedding. I'm really excited! I will share more later this weekend. I hope you will keep reading!! :)

It's so interesting to read about your plans for your couture wedding. When I was at my planning session last week our florist, Laura, was telling us about some of the couture styles. She said that the wedding staff was having a big meeting that Friday since they were in the process of planning their first wedding (other than the fantasy wedding) that is booked for the beginning of 2008. It was interesting to hear her talk about the process they went through setting everything up with David Tutera to get the collection together for DFTW.

Figmentfan814- That's awesome that you were able to hear more about the styles! Can you sharing anything that they said with me? I'd love to hear!!! That must be the other wedding that Kristi Davis told me about. How cool! I wonder what style that person picked!

I'm really excited to see you're getting married in EPCOT!! It's by far my favorite park in all of Disney!! :thumbsup2

Courtney- have you announced the plans to your DF's parents yet? I am assuming you would have told us about it, but I just wanted you to know that I am thinking about ya!

Don't let them even try to bring you down about it. We are all here to support you...because after reading about how your FFIL acted after your engagement, I can only imagine what he'll be like once he hears the news of your DFTW!!!

I am spreading lots of Pixie Dust for you!

aww thanks jodeeluvsdisney!!!! That was really sweet! :hug: I needed that!!!

Thank you for your message though. I shared it with DF and I think now he's starting to see why I spend my free time on DISboards and talk about everyone on here all the time! We are all here to support each other through everything :grouphug: and I will definitely keep everyone up to date with the drama that (I'm sure!) will be the planning of our wedding!

Hope everything works out well with your future in-laws. I love reading your planning journal, it's really interesting to hear about a couture wedding.

I have a silly general question though; I am usually pretty good at figuring out internet abbrev. lingo but what is DF? The best I could come up with was Disney Fiancee... :)

Hope everything works out well with your future in-laws. I love reading your planning journal, it's really interesting to hear about a couture wedding.

I have a silly general question though; I am usually pretty good at figuring out internet abbrev. lingo but what is DF? The best I could come up with was Disney Fiancee... :)

Thanks Iluffyou! I hope you will keep reading over the months ahead!! :)

From what I understand, DF stands for "Dear Fiance" and DM is "Dear Mom" and DD is "Dear Dad" and DH is "Dear Husband" .... at least that's what I think!!

Wow..i just read this whole thread...I LOVE the couture wedding:love:
Your a lovely couple...so cute together:) ..i hope you have a wonderful time planning this day...Its going to be an incredible wedding...Don't let anyone spoil it for you.!
Can't wait to read more....I only wish I was planning a wedding..i got married last August in Orlando.:) ...A much smaller affair.
Heres hoping my dd will one day want a DFW..princess:
Good luck...keep us posted Courtney.:thumbsup2

The 14th floor at the Contemporary is called the tower club. There are 16 suites and 5 regular rooms with excellent concierge service. The balconies are HUGE! You do have to book tower club and can choose MK or Bay view. The 12 floor now has the same concierge service and that floor is called the atrium club. We've never tried the atrium club but have heard great reviews since it went full concierge and all the rooms are regular size so it's easier to get a reservation.

Wow..i just read this whole thread...I LOVE the couture wedding:love:
Your a lovely couple...so cute together:) ..i hope you have a wonderful time planning this day...Its going to be an incredible wedding...Don't let anyone spoil it for you.!
Can't wait to read more....I only wish I was planning a wedding..i got married last August in Orlando.:) ...A much smaller affair.
Heres hoping my dd will one day want a DFW..princess:
Good luck...keep us posted Courtney.:thumbsup2

aww thanks Tinker74!!! :cloud9: That was so sweet of you to say!! So far we've had a great time planning and everyone who knows has been sooo supportive! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that the trend continues as time goes on and more people find out!

I will definitely keep everyone posted! In the next coming weeks I should have photographer info, info on our Illuminations rehearsal dinner and dessert, and a TR from our engagement anniversary trip to DL!

I hope that your DD will also want a DFTW! I can't imagine anything more romantic, but I might be a little biased! ;)

Thank you so much for clearing that up. :)

No problem! :)

The 14th floor at the Contemporary is called the tower club. There are 16 suites and 5 regular rooms with excellent concierge service. The balconies are HUGE! You do have to book tower club and can choose MK or Bay view. The 12 floor now has the same concierge service and that floor is called the atrium club. We've never tried the atrium club but have heard great reviews since it went full concierge and all the rooms are regular size so it's easier to get a reservation.

Thanks, D&R love Disney! DF and I will definitely have to look into it! From what I remember as a kid, The Contemporary has awesome views of fireworks and water parade at night. It sounds like staying in the tower club would be really romantic!!

You cannot beat the view of the fireworks from the MK view rooms. We had friends over one night to watch the show and we could hear the music that the concierge lounge pipes to their balcony and it was fantastic, the shots we got were great!

I think I'd stay at the CR before the wedding (we did) and then move over to the Grand like you were thinking of for your honeymoon.

Anyone who was reading my thread on Outside Photography Help is probably familiar with this, but I thought I'd share it again...

So Eric and I have more or less been set on using Disney Photographic Services for our wedding (along with Disney Videography.) However, I decided to check out the website of the photographers of the Disney Dream Wedding (Maring Lifestyle Photographers) that happened on Valentine's Day in the MK park to see some samples of their work. After DF and I saw how awesome each shot was and how much love and expression they showed in each perfect photo, we inquired about having our engagement photos done by them (especially since they are so conveniently located to me- NYC and CT (I live in CT)). Of course, when I called I didn't know where exactly in CT their studio was located. I only assumed that it would be the "gold coast" of CT down by Greenwich or Westport or something. Boy was I in for a surprise!

They are actually located in my hometown!!! How cool is that?! :thumbsup2 I guess they split their time between their NYC studio and small-town Connecticut studio. In any case, a few weeks ago, I set up an appointment for my mom, sister (MOH), and myself to meet with them and talk about the different options (particularly the engagement photos), but I have been falling in love with their style and Eric and I are thinking we want to use them for all our wedding photos (and they are more than willing to travel too- in fact they flew down to FL to shoot a DFTW last week!)

I almost feel like it was a sign that they just so happened to be located right down the street from me. I mean they exclusively photographed Donald Trump's wedding and Star Jones' wedding, but they live in and have one of their two studios located in my sleepy home town!!! Who would've guessed!?! Plus, they photograph a ton of David Tutera's weddings, parties, and his books... and I'm having one of his weddings! It just almost feels like it is meant to be... but I also feel as though I'm cheating on Mickey. :rolleyes1 Oh what to do!!!

Both Jennifer and Charles Maring have been so nice and have responded very timely to any questions I've had so far with email! They told me that they are very excited to share some David Tutera wedding shots with me as well as pictures from other Disney Weddings when we meet tomorrow. I'm excited too!

I can't wait to find out the costs (we'll see if we can even afford to have them as our photographers!!!) and the different packages they have available. Most of all, I just want to see their sample work... I also hope to get details of what they expect us to pay for when photographing a destination wedding.

During this whole decision process, I had a bunch of questions for Kristi Davis about the pros and cons of using an outside photographer. I'd like to share with you what she said:

---

"Dear Courtney,

Thanks so much for the note. It is great to hear from you. I am so excited that you have found Maring Lifestyle Photographers. As you mentioned below, they have worked with us before to shoot the Dream Wedding. They were excellent in all aspects of the event. We would welcome them for your event and there would not be any outside charges for them to photograph your event. I think it is amazing that they are located in your hometown! I am with you, I would also think it was meant to be. Just to make sure I covered all of your questions, I copied them below and responded to them individually.

I hope you have a wonderful evening and I look forward to talking to you soon.

Warmest regards,

Kristi

-Do brides who use outside photographers get treated any differently than brides who use Disney Photography Services (basically, is it frowned upon to use an outside vendor for photography?) We do not frown upon using an outside photographer but we have had situations in the past where outside photographers did not handle themselves well and that can cause difficulty. This is not the case with the Marings.
-If I use an outside photographer, can I still have my pre-ceremony pictures taken at the Grand Floridian (I will be getting ready there), or if another bride is at the Grand Floridian at the same time and she is using Disney Photography Services, will she have the "right of way" and I'll have to hide or not take pictures there? You will certainly be able to take your photos at the Grand Floridian, your wedding planner will coordinate the timing with your photographer. We just need to make sure that you arrive after the early wedding has cleared the lobby area. If there is a wedding scheduled prior to yours it will start at 2:30pm, so you would be fine anytime after that.
-Since the Marings have shot in the parks before, can any exceptions be made for them again (I thought it couldn't hurt to ask!)? They would certainly be able to shoot your Dessert Party, but unfortunately any planned photo shoots like you mention below (Magic Kingdom and Epcot) would need to be shot by our photography team. These are shot when the parks are closed and only Disney Cast Members have access to enter the parks at that time. She would not be able to shoot those events.
-Can I still have the Magic Kingdom photo shoot? Yes, but it must be through WDW photography.
-What about doing a bridal photo shoot in EPCOT (I was originally looking at the 10 hour package Disney offers)? Same as above.
-I know there is an escort fee required if the outside photographers are not well known by Disney... How well known are the Marings? We are completely comfortable with them. An escort fee will not be required.
-Are there any other downfalls or problems with having an outside photographer that Eric and I should be aware of, particularly when having a Couture Collection wedding? The only thing that would impact you is the fact that they couldn't shoot your other photo sessions. "

---

Overall, I think Kristi gave a very fair response. I'm so glad that it really doesn't matter what photographer we use. We'll see how tomorrow goes!!! Wish me luck!! :goodvibes

Subscribing...I'm enjoying reading about the wedding planning of your beautiful wedding!

I'm not familiar with the Disney Dream Wedding. Is this a Food Network special? Has it aired yet?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter