Justification for Spending $1,000 + dollars

Just did 5 day QSDP. WAY too much food for us. My niece was nine so on the kids' plan. Now that she is ten, it would not be a savings for me. We can take food for breakfast in the room (and avoid the chaos), then split a QS meal for lunch and snack for dinner. It got ridiculous with the desserts! My SIL and I would just laugh - a bit hysterically - when they would ask what we wanted for dessert. (I have about 10 cookies in my freezer.) For those who have the appetite or for those who like to eat TS, it's a great deal...just not for us and our Disney style.

As others said, do the math and don't forget to add tax. It's a good value if you plan on eating all of those TS anyway and don't share meals normally. DH and I have NEVER shared a meal going out, so we know that wouldn't happen on vacation. We also like TS meals. I actually am paying OOP for some extra TS even with the DP (we're not spending enough to justify an upgrade to DxDP). We like to unwind with a TS meal. With kids, each TS character meal is more than the entire daily cost of the DP and the cost of a regular TS kids meal comes close.

Also, you don't need to get cookies etc. for all of your desserts. We never (or almost never) got QS dessert. Instead, we'd sub a water bottle for the dessert or some fruit. We'd drink the water while touring or the fruit for breakfast the next day. We'd often use the snack credit for pastries for breakfast breakfast, smoothies, or even coffee. Thus, we'd still only get 1 dessert a day. You don't HAVE to get dessert just because it's included.

Our Dec. 2010 trip was the 2nd time doing the deluxe DDP, did the Plus DDP in 2008. Do we need all that food? No. Would ordering less and paying out of pocket save money? Not much.

But I can see how a family could eat for much less money if staying off site. Even concierge level at a Disney resort might save money with a lot of people on each reservation but that only works if you're at the resort. We would be at the parks usually when concierge food is out. If we drove to Disney, we would probably pack up cereal, soda, snacks, and get a room with a fridge or bring a cooler.

For us, the deluxe DDP is worth it for several reasons.
  • We stay on Disney property without a car. We need to eat. Where else can we go?
  • Counter service isn't cheap either, the cost would add up fast and I can't eat that for 10 days straight.
  • We like dining out at Disney. There are many fun themed places to eat including character meals. And we enjoy being able to take DS with us to the signature restaurants.
  • For us, there isn't much difference in cost between the Plus and the Deluxe DDPs. It's not too much eating because we use dining credits on our arrival and departure days, and go to the shows and signature meals that charge 2 credits. The deluxe includes appetizers so we get to try different foods and also includes the refillable mugs and more snack credits that we use for drinks, popcorn, and treats (fudge, caramel, etc.) to take home.
  • It's nice to sit down at a restaurant with it all prepaid and not have to faint at the prices. We just order what we want.

The deluxe DDP cost us $1486 for 2 adults and 1 child, 9 nights. The actual out of pocket cost for all our meals was $2431 plus $39 for 3 refillable mugs and $149 for snacks/drinks (estimated at $2.75 each). The deluxe DDP includes the refillable mugs (1 per person) and 3 snacks x # nights x #people. Add in those costs and we saved $1043. So, on average, that's about a 41% savings. The DDP includes tax (I think it is 6.25%) but not tips.

The average out of pocket cost by meal type (if not on dining plan) for 2 adults and 1 child was:
$157 Signature Restaurant
$92 Other Dinners and Lunches
$74 Character Meals

I think you have to sit down and crunch the numbers yourself. What you would eat in a typical day as a family and what it would cost for one day on the DDP for your family. When I crunch the numbers for my family of 3, we either break even or have to pay a little more on the DDP. We don't eat desserts (Maybe once a week of vacation) and you also have to factor in the tip and taxes that I don't think they include on the DDP. I suppose if you break even you could see it as a convienence to have it paid up front. Then there is also the fact that not every restaurant is covered on the DDP, and some spots are 2 credits per meal, etc. Good luck!

we have this debate every time we go. Dining plan of no dining plan.
We are AAA members.
It makes more sense to get the AAA room rate and buy our own meals. However, it's fun to be on the meal plan. You order what you want and dont worry about the price.

Too bad RangerUSA1111 never came back to let us know their thoughts after receiving all these insightful comments.

We are AAA members.
It makes more sense to get the AAA room rate and buy our own meals. However, it's fun to be on the meal plan. You order what you want and dont worry about the price.

AAA room rates can't be made into a package? I know you can't get FREE dining, but can't you still pay for it OOP?

For us, the biggest perk of DDP is that the meals are all paid for in advance. We love arriving at WDW with everything paid for except gratuities & souvenirs. It's also so nice to say yes to the kids when they ask for "treats" such as ice cream or whatever snack every afternoon or desserts at meals. Do we need to eat all that? No but it sure is fun for that one week out of the year!! My super tightwad DH always saves all of our receipts & then compares the total food costs to what we paid for the DDP. We have always come out ahead. However, we wouldn't order desserts at lunch & dinner, soft drinks at TS meals, etc if we were paying OOP. For our upcoming trip, we got free dining so it was a total no-brainer. We love the DDP, whether we're paying for it or not. :)

AAA room rates can't be made into a package?
You can book a WDTC dining package through AAA.
Historically, booking in January gets a few extra little perks from AAA offices, I think. January has been Disney Month for AAA for quite awhile.
I don't know what the travel dates are usually. So if anyone is booking a WDW vacation in January, wouldn't hurt to see if AAA is offering anything extra besides the usual AAA package perks.

The justification for us are the Character meals. We don't have to wait in line for autographs and pictures for for the kids AND we get to sit down and have a decent meal, away from the action of the parks. With 3 kids in tow anything that saves me time and kills two birds with one stone does it for me ;)

We also enjoy eating in WDW. Where we live there is hardly a variety to choose from so it's very exciting to have the opportunity to try different types of cuisine.

Last year was our first time on the DDP and though it seemed like a lot of $$ up front, it really turned out to save us quite a bit in the end. I am tight when it comes to my money, I'll admit it...but to me it is worth it to go with the plan.

For us, the biggest perk of DDP is that the meals are all paid for in advance. We love arriving at WDW with everything paid for except gratuities & souvenirs. It's also so nice to say yes to the kids when they ask for "treats" such as ice cream or whatever snack every afternoon or desserts at meals. Do we need to eat all that? No but it sure is fun for that one week out of the year!! My super tightwad DH always saves all of our receipts & then compares the total food costs to what we paid for the DDP. We have always come out ahead. However, we wouldn't order desserts at lunch & dinner, soft drinks at TS meals, etc if we were paying OOP. For our upcoming trip, we got free dining so it was a total no-brainer. We love the DDP, whether we're paying for it or not. :)

I have to agree getting there and not having to pay for the food feels GREAT!!! then the money you have can go to other things. I would take my desserts back with me and have them for breakfast. Yes, you can eat desserts for breakfast of vacation that is my motto! Plus you burn it off with all the park walking! I know it seems like a lot now but you will be happy you did it in the end. I remember on our last trip we had the DP but the people next to us didn't they got 2 cheeseburgers a pop and fries at it was $35.00 I thought that was a lot of burgers so it is great to have the food paid for if your like me there is so much to do at the park why leave?
Have a great trip :santa:

We are AAA members.

you do realize you can get the AAA room rate on a AAA package including room, tickets & dining plan. You still get the discount. Your AAA agent will have to book the package for you, though (Disney will not book a AAA package, only a AAA room discount.)

We've done that a couple of times, but the last few years we've found much better deals booking directly with Disney...far better discounts on the room than AAA's typical 10-15%. You might want to shop those prices a bit.

I only do dining plan when it's free. When we don't have free dining, we can eat a lot less expensively without it. I enjoy having it, but don't have to. I am a cheapy most of all. So, I do whatever works out cheapest for me. We can have fun either way.

If you are planning to do some character meals or buffets, tor dinner shows, then I think it's definately worth it. Those can be pricey.

While we lucked out and got FD for our trip, I'm not sure we would pay for it once our kids are "adults" on the DP. We had quite a few snack credits left over and a couple of CS. It was a lot of food, and I found I was eating things just to make sure we used up our credits. Sometimes I would have been happy with an appetizer, but had to order an entree and it was just too much food.

I think next time we go we would do OOP and be more flexible.

It depends on how your family eats. Food is not cheap at WDW. If your family is fine with CS meals every meal, every day of your trip, than maybe the dining pan is not worth it. However, if you plan to do even a couple TS meals, a character beakfast, etc. you will probably spend more money OOP than if you had the plan.

I may be one of the few to agree with the OP. If you want a lot of TS meals, or signature meals, the DxDP can be a good value.
But the DDP is only a good value if you like to eat in a very narrow way. You can easily put together a mix of CS/TS meals that are cheaper -- and more flexible -- than the DDP.

For OP, can the 3 adults and 1 child obtain decent meals for under $140 per day?
Assuming this family doesn't want a lot of "snacks" or desserts... You could do 1 CS and 1 TS meal like this:
Lunch at the Plaza restaurant -- 3 adult sandwiches for under $35. Children's meal for under $9. So family total -- About $44. If you order beverages, still only about $50.
Dinner -- Cosmiic Rays -- 1 kids meal = $5. Burger for 1 adult, $7. Another 2 adults share the massive chicken rib combo - $14. Total $26. Order a couple beverages, still under $35.
For the OP's family, let's assume a couple of desserts per day -- Another $10.

So OP can get their 2 meals, plus the desserts they want -- About $95. But the same 2 meals would cost $140 on the DDP. If they drink tap water, can save even more. In fact, the DDP may be $50 or more per day, than simply paying OOP for the same TS/CS meals you want.

For our eating habits and park habits, the DP does not work. Too much food! We did QSDP on our recent trip and we would groan when they would ask what we want for dessert! :) I have about ten cookies in my freezer still. I could have very easily split every meal I had with one or both of my traveling partners. HOWEVER, for those with growing kids or big appetites - or for those who like Table Service/Character Dining - it can be a great saver. I hope to do an Adults Only trip soon where we Eat Around the World. YUM!

I bring breakfast and snacks from home and we use the refillable mugs - In my calculations, it costs about the same as if we were on the DP, but we are not over-stuffed and there is no waste.

I'm glad there are various options available - that way EVERYBODY can be happy!

Savings are kind of fictitious. You will only save if you accept their inflated "list" prices of meals and then think the amount off is a discount, plus you accept that you would purchase such expensive meals every day of your visit.

Given both of those, you will spend less money. We spend a lot less by having a nice meal every other day by ordering off the menu of a nice restaurant, then use less expensive options on the other days.

Also, you don't need to get cookies etc. for all of your desserts. We never (or almost never) got QS dessert. Instead, we'd sub a water bottle for the dessert or some fruit. We'd drink the water while touring or the fruit for breakfast the next day. We'd often use the snack credit for pastries for breakfast breakfast, smoothies, or even coffee. Thus, we'd still only get 1 dessert a day. You don't HAVE to get dessert just because it's included.

I didn't know that. :thumbsup2 We're doing DP for the first time. I crunched the numbers and it works for us. I had all of the ADR's before I even thought about adding the DP. So i didn't change what we would order or where we would eat based on DP or non-DP. The only thing that I was double thinking was the pre-packaged desserts with CS. I love my desserts and my snack credits will be going towards desserts. Good to know that I can get a pc. of fruit instead of dessert at CS.

We have had many trips to WDW and easily spent $1,000 in 7 days for 3. We tried the DP (1 snack,1 quick, 1 table serv) last trip and it was great. We saved having the plan and went to places we typically wouldn't have, because of the cost. We usualy ended up eating burgers and hot dogs all week...still spending a fortune! It adds up really fast at Disney! With the plan you can get your unused pnts for snacks and take them home! You can use them at Germany for some AMAZING chocolates, and at amost all of the "countries" you can get unique "goodies" to take home to those as souveniers:) or to keep! We had several left since we had a quick serv and table serv-it was PLENTY to keep us full and running around Disney! We would eat breakfast in the room, cereal and what not....except in the days we used our table serv at Chef Mickey's. The deluxe plans are ALOT of food...3 table servs??? Unlesss you plan on eating all day long, it is not worth it. So...if you want to eat nice meals each afteroon, or breakfast or lunch, save money and not be stuck with only cosmic ray's and pizza planet all week (although they are pretty good:) go with the plan! We are going in Nov for 10 nights! WHOOHOO and wil have the plan again:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter