Just to make sure I understand about buying a Gold Pass with DVC...

Avery&Todd

DIS Veteran
DH and I are committed to going to Disney in June 2020 and February 2021 - so twice within a calendar year.

Here are a few questions/things I'd like clarified...

1. How far in advance can I buy the passes (mainly to ensure they don't go up in price like they just did)
2. Once I buy them, even though they're not active, I do get ticket numbers I can link to my MDE so we can book FP+ 60 ahead of time, right?
3. Is the FP+ booking window the same? How does it know when I'm coming to know when my 60+ day starts? Because I have a hotel booked??
4. Where do I go and activate them for the first time? Disney Springs or at the entrance to any park or a hotel??
5. I can pay for them with Disney Gift Cards, right?

Is there any question I should be asking that I missed?? :rolleyes1

Thanks everyone!!

1. How far in advance can I buy the passes (mainly to ensure they don't go up in price like they just did)
You can purchase new APs at anytime and the voucher that they will be issued on won't expire until 2030. Future promotions for extra savings on APs may have a limited activation window.
2. Once I buy them, even though they're not active, I do get ticket numbers I can link to my MDE so we can book FP+ 60 ahead of time, right?
Yes. If you purchase online from disneyworld.com, it will prompt you to link them to MDE at the time of purchase.
3. Is the FP+ booking window the same? How does it know when I'm coming to know when my 60+ day starts? Because I have a hotel booked??
If you have a hotel reservation and ticket media (which includes an AP voucher) linked to MDE, you can make FP+ selections beginning at 60 days from your check-in date.
4. Where do I go and activate them for the first time? Disney Springs or at the entrance to any park or a hotel??
APs can be activated at any Park Ticket Window or Guest Relations Location at WDW.
5. I can pay for them with Disney Gift Cards, right?
Yes, but depending on how you purchase there may be limits on the number of Disney Gift Cards that may be used on a single transaction. DisneyGiftCard.com will allow you to transfer funds from one DGC to another. One DGC may not have a total funds value of more than $1,000.

You can purchase new APs at anytime and the voucher that they will be issued on won't expire until 2030. Future promotions for extra savings on APs may have a limited activation window.

Yes. If you purchase online from disneyworld.com, it will prompt you to link them to MDE at the time of purchase.

If you have a hotel reservation and ticket media (which includes an AP voucher) linked to MDE, you can make FP+ selections beginning at 60 days from your check-in date.

APs can be activated at any Park Ticket Window or Guest Relations Location at WDW.

Yes, but depending on how you purchase there may be limits on the number of Disney Gift Cards that may be used on a single transaction. DisneyGiftCard.com will allow you to transfer funds from one DGC to another. One DGC may not have a total funds value of more than $1,000.

THANK YOU!!!

OK - one more question..

The countdown clock for the year of my pass doesn't start until I activiate it at the park, right? So, even though I buy it and I use it to book FP+, it's not counting down, right??

So, even though I buy it and I use it to book FP+, it's not counting down, right??

Correct. Booking a fastpass does not trigger an activation of an AP. It's actually not as complicated as you may think it is.

To book a FP, all MDE wants to know is... "do you have a way of getting into the park that day?" In this case, having an AP in your account would answer that Q with a "yes."

Another example: I have non-expiration tickets sitting in my MDE account. They're valid everyday forever, at least until I use them up. As a result, I can book a FP for everyday if I wanted to because, until I actually use up those tickets, I will always have a way of getting into the park.

One other question along this line.

I have a gold AP and it is linked to MDE, do I have to go to guest services at the park (or DSpings) before going into a park? Or can I just go thru the turn style?

AP must be activated prior to using.
Be sure you bring your Blue DVC ID card and photo ID when you activate the passes. Have a great trip.

Or can I just go thru the turn style?

//edited for clarification.

Just FYI for others:
The Plat and Plat Plus when purchased regular price do not require verification, so only with those can you just go through the turn style to activate without talking to anyone first.

Last edited:
I have a question as well - if you have purchased, but not activated, a DVC Gold AP, do you have access to an AP website to see available discounts (hotel rates, etc.)? Or do you have to call member services or the CRO to inquire/book?

I have a question as well - if you have purchased, but not activated, a DVC Gold AP, do you have access to an AP website to see available discounts (hotel rates, etc.)? Or do you have to call member services or the CRO to inquire/book?
Upon purchase - DVC should send you a "will call" number. Use this number on MDE (YOU can link it, or DVC can link it).
I would suggest that YOU link that number, as WDWs multiple Servers do not synch all that rapidly.

Once you have done this? MDE will recognize you as a Gold AP holder. You may then see available Passholder Discounts.

Upon purchase - DVC should send you a "will call" number. Use this number on MDE (YOU can link it, or DVC can link it).
I would suggest that YOU link that number, as WDWs multiple Servers do not synch all that rapidly.

Once you have done this? MDE will recognize you as a Gold AP holder. You may then see available Passholder Discounts.
Thanks!

If you buy online while logged into your Disney account, the AP will automatically link to your MDE account.

Also know that ticketing (to activate your AP) and Guest Relations are two separate places at Disney Springs. They are VERY close to each other, but they are separate places. I had friends with me last rip that needed to activate Military Tickets, and I needed to activate my Gold Pass renewal. We went to Guest Relations and they sent us across the walkway to Ticketing, then Ticketing sent me back to Guest Relations for a TiW card. In fact, guest relations has a queue where they take your name and you wait to be called. Ticketing called over to Guest Relations and told them to expect me, so I got right in.

Also know that ticketing (to activate your AP) and Guest Relations are two separate places at Disney Springs. They are VERY close to each other, but they are separate places. I had friends with me last rip that needed to activate Military Tickets, and I needed to activate my Gold Pass renewal. We went to Guest Relations and they sent us across the walkway to Ticketing, then Ticketing sent me back to Guest Relations for a TiW card. In fact, guest relations has a queue where they take your name and you wait to be called. Ticketing called over to Guest Relations and told them to expect me, so I got right in.

I don’t know why you were sent to Ticketing - my sister activated military discount tickets at GR in DS. And In the past we’ve activated our Gold Passes and bought TIW at one time at the Guest Relations booth outside Epcot IG. My understanding from the Tickets sticky is that APs can be activated at ticket booths or GR.

I think it may be something new they are trying, perhaps expecting heavy crowds for SWGE. Ticketing and GS are basically 100 feet from each other. There were basically 3 ticketing CMs that did nothing but ticketing, in a space set up almost exactly like GS, and there were 3 GS people in GS, plus a greeter, getting people's names and doing GS specific things, like dining and last minute hotel reservations and such, kind of like the old Ocala Welcome Center on I-75 did..

I think it may be something new they are trying, perhaps expecting heavy crowds for SWGE. Ticketing and GS are basically 100 feet from each other. There were basically 3 ticketing CMs that did nothing but ticketing, in a space set up almost exactly like GS, and there were 3 GS people in GS, plus a greeter, getting people's names and doing GS specific things, like dining and last minute hotel reservations and such, kind of like the old Ocala Welcome Center on I-75 did..

Interesting! Where was this? DHS?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter