Just returned from VGF

Salf777

Mouseketeer
So I just returned from 5 nights at the VGF. Was a little apprehensive as so many people have been saying how Disney isn’t the same, the magic is gone, etc.
Well we had a great experience. There were a few hiccups along the way, for example one night upon returning to the villas all parking spots were taken not one free. Was told to go park in the convention center?? Far away and raining. Well I did park far and I went back into the villas and mentioned it to someone on duty she immediately found out security was telling people coming for dinner to the Grand Floridan to park there. A bell services gentleman came and got me in a cart, found a spot and blocked it, took me to my car and held the spot for me. The next day the manager called me and gave us a little extra magic! Yes things go wrong anywhere but to me it’s how it’s handled after that really shows good management.
the room had some tired spots as it’s old but the service was outstanding. Anything we needed was immediately attended to. Worried about towels asked and they bought us soooooo many to last thru our stay. Pool attendants friendly and fun, restaurant staff so helpful.
a few observations as to why we think VGF is great. Rained one morning and there is a covered walkway all the way from back of the villas to the main building for the monorail! Small but helpful. We were at Epcot and took the skyliner to Hollywood Studios and on the way back the skyliner went down at Carribbean Beach. So now it’s raining and we’re stuck there or choice was take internal bus to main bus stop then another bus back to Epcot or go back to HS and take a bus or boat to Epcot. That sucked. We took an Uber back to Epcot.

One weird thing I did notice was that there were LOADS of DVC kiosks in the parks and at the hotels. I honestly think every kiosk we passed had people talking to the guides, I mean every one. I have never seen them so busy. The one in VGF had people waiting in line to speak with a guide Every time I walked by. So I honestly don’t think Disney cares about all the people saying they are going to sell because this is taken away that’s taken away. they Will just buy the points back on ROFR and sell them for more. I have been going for 20 years and never seen anything like this. Saw at least 5 booths in Epcot and all had a line of people it’s crazy!
anyway great dinners at Homecomin, California Grill, Grand Floridan cafe! Went to Boo Bash we felt it was worth it. Rode everything we wanted no wait! Got in the park early enough to see Happily Ever After, tons of candy and snacks and park felt empty.
there were a lot of college program kids working in Epcot for food and wine and they seemed to really try harder to make things perfect.
parks look beautiful
yes a few things I could complain about but they were minor and rectified but really tell me someplace you went where everything was perfect? Would I have liked to have seen the the staff in world showcase from each of their countries of course but right now it’s not possible.
Make the best of it, be polite and in my opinion you’ll see the magic is still there

Yes, isn't VGF great? My only complaint (not a biggie) is that their QS, Gasparilla Grill, isn't the best. Staying at VGF, I found it to be equidistant between GG and Captain Cook's, so I ate a lot of my meals at Captain Cook's. Did you eat there at all?

Yes, isn't VGF great? My only complaint (not a biggie) is that their QS, Gasparilla Grill, isn't the best. Staying at VGF, I found it to be equidistant between GG and Captain Cook's, so I ate a lot of my meals at Captain Cook's. Did you eat there at all?
We love VGF everything about it makes it easy. My wife has food allergies so we brought a lot of food for her and ate in the room instead of quick service. we did eat at GF Cafe very surprised at how good dinner was and we are waiting for Victoria and Albert’s to open want to eat there never have yet

So I just returned from 5 nights at the VGF. Was a little apprehensive as so many people have been saying how Disney isn’t the same, the magic is gone, etc.
Well we had a great experience. There were a few hiccups along the way, for example one night upon returning to the villas all parking spots were taken not one free. Was told to go park in the convention center?? Far away and raining. Well I did park far and I went back into the villas and mentioned it to someone on duty she immediately found out security was telling people coming for dinner to the Grand Floridan to park there. A bell services gentleman came and got me in a cart, found a spot and blocked it, took me to my car and held the spot for me. The next day the manager called me and gave us a little extra magic! Yes things go wrong anywhere but to me it’s how it’s handled after that really shows good management.
the room had some tired spots as it’s old but the service was outstanding. Anything we needed was immediately attended to. Worried about towels asked and they bought us soooooo many to last thru our stay. Pool attendants friendly and fun, restaurant staff so helpful.
a few observations as to why we think VGF is great. Rained one morning and there is a covered walkway all the way from back of the villas to the main building for the monorail! Small but helpful. We were at Epcot and took the skyliner to Hollywood Studios and on the way back the skyliner went down at Carribbean Beach. So now it’s raining and we’re stuck there or choice was take internal bus to main bus stop then another bus back to Epcot or go back to HS and take a bus or boat to Epcot. That sucked. We took an Uber back to Epcot.

One weird thing I did notice was that there were LOADS of DVC kiosks in the parks and at the hotels. I honestly think every kiosk we passed had people talking to the guides, I mean every one. I have never seen them so busy. The one in VGF had people waiting in line to speak with a guide Every time I walked by. So I honestly don’t think Disney cares about all the people saying they are going to sell because this is taken away that’s taken away. they Will just buy the points back on ROFR and sell them for more. I have been going for 20 years and never seen anything like this. Saw at least 5 booths in Epcot and all had a line of people it’s crazy!
anyway great dinners at Homecomin, California Grill, Grand Floridan cafe! Went to Boo Bash we felt it was worth it. Rode everything we wanted no wait! Got in the park early enough to see Happily Ever After, tons of candy and snacks and park felt empty.
there were a lot of college program kids working in Epcot for food and wine and they seemed to really try harder to make things perfect.
parks look beautiful
yes a few things I could complain about but they were minor and rectified but really tell me someplace you went where everything was perfect? Would I have liked to have seen the the staff in world showcase from each of their countries of course but right now it’s not possible.
Make the best of it, be polite and in my opinion you’ll see the magic is still there
Did you notice a trend amongst the people visiting the DVC kiosks?
I saw another traveler notice a trend and I am curious to see if you noticed the same.

Did you notice a trend amongst the people visiting the DVC kiosks?
I saw another traveler notice a trend and I am curious to see if you noticed the same.
Actually I noticed more people at the kiosks than ever before. I did notice many were a younger crowd. Actually one night we were on the monrail going to the Contemporary for dinner and 2 couples started talking about DVC. They apparently did not know each other. One said he would like to talk to someone who wasnt "trying to sell it to him". So I chimed in and said we were owners and loved it and found tremendous value in it. Which we have. I explained what we paid for our contract and what they rack rates were for the room we were in. Of course I explained you can discounts and most people dont pay rack rate but based on those numbers we did very well but mainly we get to stay in VGF every year (thats our home). One couple had 4 young children and I asked how old they were and they were 35 years old. I discussed how people have been upset with "perks" being taken away and to my surprise they said they would just buy for the ability to have a room for their family and the perks werent important, if they got them great. they said they ran the numbers with a guide and for them it really seemed to make sense just for the accommodations. I said if you look at it that way and plan to visit at least every 2-3 years it would probably be worth it. They said they come 1-2 times a year and the hotels were expensive. They like to stay on property as its easier to get around with 4 kids.
It seems to me a new generation of DVC owners is growing. Again this was just my observation over the 5 nights we were there. Im sure people are going to say you dont know if they are buying etc. I was just surprised because every time I walked past the kiosk in VGF there were people there asking questions and making tour appointments. Then to hear peopl who dont know each other on the monorail discussing it I felt that DVC is doing just fine

Actually I noticed more people at the kiosks than ever before. I did notice many were a younger crowd. Actually one night we were on the monrail going to the Contemporary for dinner and 2 couples started talking about DVC. They apparently did not know each other. One said he would like to talk to someone who wasnt "trying to sell it to him". So I chimed in and said we were owners and loved it and found tremendous value in it. Which we have. I explained what we paid for our contract and what they rack rates were for the room we were in. Of course I explained you can discounts and most people dont pay rack rate but based on those numbers we did very well but mainly we get to stay in VGF every year (thats our home). One couple had 4 young children and I asked how old they were and they were 35 years old. I discussed how people have been upset with "perks" being taken away and to my surprise they said they would just buy for the ability to have a room for their family and the perks werent important, if they got them great. they said they ran the numbers with a guide and for them it really seemed to make sense just for the accommodations. I said if you look at it that way and plan to visit at least every 2-3 years it would probably be worth it. They said they come 1-2 times a year and the hotels were expensive. They like to stay on property as its easier to get around with 4 kids.
It seems to me a new generation of DVC owners is growing. Again this was just my observation over the 5 nights we were there. Im sure people are going to say you dont know if they are buying etc. I was just surprised because every time I walked past the kiosk in VGF there were people there asking questions and making tour appointments. Then to hear peopl who dont know each other on the monorail discussing it I felt that DVC is doing just fine
That is exactly what the other traveler said as well.
We are a prime example of the "new generation" of DVC owners since we are a young family in our late 20s buying DVC.
We bought resale only because DVC would not sell less than 125 pts at the time and we bought a 2042 resort.
We are traveling to WDW in Dec and plan to do a tour just to get the experience like you said.

That is exactly what the other traveler said as well.
We are a prime example of the "new generation" of DVC owners since we are a young family in our late 20s buying DVC.
We bought resale only because DVC would not sell less than 125 pts at the time and we bought a 2042 resort.
We are traveling to WDW in Dec and plan to do a tour just to get the experience like you said.

I wish I bought when I was in my late 20's! Enjoy it for many years to come

Love VGF, owner since 2014. Haven't stayed there in the last 2 years though, looking forward to using the walkway back from MK next year. Hoping they bring the Band and pianist back! Been using my points at Riviera for my last 2 visits, love it there too!

Love VGF, owner since 2014. Haven't stayed there in the last 2 years though, looking forward to using the walkway back from MK next year. Hoping they bring the Band and pianist back! Been using my points at Riviera for my last 2 visits, love it there too!
The pianist is back!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!