Just read the WDW room security check thread and...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stayed at BWV in December and they knocked sometimes and others they didnt. We had someone walk in on my gf when she was changing after shouting not to come in. The guy acted like he didn't hear her which was complete bs because she shouted 'one minute' 3x. It left me with a very bad taste in terms of staying onsite. I get that the intention is for safety because of Vegas but they need to better train people if they are going to be doing this. I have never had a bad customer service experience at Disney til this happened

I stayed at BWV in December and they knocked sometimes and others they didnt. We had someone walk in on my gf when she was changing after shouting not to come in. The guy acted like he didn't hear her which was complete bs because she shouted 'one minute' 3x. It left me with a very bad taste in terms of staying onsite. I get that the intention is for safety because of Vegas but they need to better train people if they are going to be doing this. I have never had a bad customer service experience at Disney til this happened
I recommend using the security latch on the door. It avoids anyone accidentally walking in on your room. I use it in all hotels, not just Disney.

#1 reason why the latch is so important. A pain if someone has to dart out for some reason but opening for them is way better than a stranger walking in.
And again, this is another DVC report

At some non DVC resorts I read reports that there weren’t even any room occupied signs. I guess you could request them? No idea.
I've had several rooms without them. People steal the stupidest things, including room occupied signs. And yes, you can request one

Sorry you experienced this. The implementation if you want to call it that has been uneven at best at different resorts and even at same resort same stay during a longer stay as housekeepers cycle through. They are not on the same page. In October, we had trash removed some days all trash cans, some only kitchen trash, some none at all. I reported the no trash taken day and the HK took note of the day and room so she could address it supposedly.

I don't think these statements are true at all. I regularly stay between 8 and 10 nights and have at least 2 "break days" and spend every afternoon in my room because I like a nap and I'm on vacation. I have NEVER had a room check done while staying on property and only once has housekeeping knocked on my door while I was in it and it was because I had been in and out multiple times that day and hadn't bothered to put my room occupied sign up.
It has nothing to do with being true or not. It's more likely. That's just common sense. It's short sighted to say, it hasn't happened to me, so it must not be true.

But it's really just security theater.
A tiny lady who is 4ft10in is really gonna do anything if there actually is a nut in the room?

In 2014 at the Mandalay Bay a housekeeper actually stopped a mass shooting. Someone was doing a setup just like the one that happened in 2017. In 2017 the shooter had a "do not disturb" sign on the door so no one bothered him after a certain point in his stay. They don't need to do anything other than take a peek in there. Is this going to prevent all shootings, no, but it is something.

What can a housekeeper do? Especially when all we ever hear about is someone poking their head in and looking around? They will find nothing. And people who think they will will feel safe and secure when there is nothing different than before.
I just saw this, so I will just repeat myself lol

In 2014 at the Mandalay Bay a housekeeper actually stopped a mass shooting. Someone was doing a setup just like the one that happened in 2017. In 2017 the shooter had a "do not disturb" sign on the door so no one bothered him after a certain point in his stay. They don't need to do anything other than take a peek in there. Is this going to prevent all shootings, no, but it is something.

I recommend using the security latch on the door. It avoids anyone accidentally walking in on your room. I use it in all hotels, not just Disney.

I do too or at least I intend to. Not to say I don’t I don’t inadvertently forget to. We are in and out of rooms frequently for a variety of reasons. Senioritis sets in. I guess I need my own sign inside the door: remember to latch the door

All the talk about latching the door brought to mind the old phrase, “Katie bar the door.”

There are much more less intrusive ways to provide security that doesn't involve going door to door disturbing guests with knocks on their door.

If you know of any then I suggest you bring them up to Disney directly.
The topic has been discussed many times and it seems that no solution is non invasive.
Honestly a little lady knocking on my door is much less intrusive than getting a full body scan and having a lady put the back of her hand all over my crotch because the scan says I have explosive material somewhere in that region even though I'm wearing leggings so its not like I can hide anything anyways. And if you want to fly that's what you go through.
If you want to go into a Disney park you have your bag gone through and I've even had to take out feminine products because "they were in the way of seeing the bottom of the bag".
So I guess if you want to stay at Disney you have to have someone knock on your door IF YOU DON'T RECEIVE DAILY HOUSEKEEPING.

It has nothing to do with being true or not. It's more likely. That's just common sense. It's short sighted to say, it hasn't happened to me, so it must not be true.
You can't say definitively that it is true either. Your opinions were stated as fact and they aren't facts.

If you know of any then I suggest you bring them up to Disney directly.
The topic has been discussed many times and it seems that no solution is non invasive.
Honestly a little lady knocking on my door is much less intrusive than getting a full body scan and having a lady put the back of her hand all over my crotch because the scan says I have explosive material somewhere in that region even though I'm wearing leggings so its not like I can hide anything anyways. And if you want to fly that's what you go through.
If you want to go into a Disney park you have your bag gone through and I've even had to take out feminine products because "they were in the way of seeing the bottom of the bag".
So I guess if you want to stay at Disney you have to have someone knock on your door IF YOU DON'T RECEIVE DAILY HOUSEKEEPING.

As one who doesn’t stay in WDW values/moderates and is unlikely to do so in the future, for those that get the 10 bucks for no housekeeping, do they remove your trash when they come in to “maintain” your room?

As one who doesn’t stay in WDW values/moderates and is unlikely to do so in the future, for those that get the 10 bucks for no housekeeping, do they remove your trash when they come in to “maintain” your room?

I declined housekeeping last month and received a gift card.
When we were in the room from 10pm to 12pm the next day the lady came at about 11:45am and knowcked on the door.
I answered as my sister went into the bathroom with no pants on.
She introduced herself and specifically said she was there for a security check. I said mmy sister is half naked in the bathroom. She said ok no problem I'll come back later.
I certainly don't expect anyone to take the trash during the security check.
You can just call housekeeping if you need anything.

Yeah sure if you just peek in and see something shady and no one spots you you can go get help.
If however you knock on the door and ask to come in and they refuse or they shoot you then you're not stopping a mass shooting.

Yeah sure if you just peek in and see something shady and no one spots you you can go get help.
If however you knock on the door and ask to come in and they refuse or they shoot you then you're not stopping a mass shooting.

All of these scenarios would actually thwart their original plans.

Hotels own their properties. We sign up for their rules if we go there, if you don't like the rules, go somewhere else. Its really that simple. Small steps on their part could make a big difference. Of course, they are doing it to protect their own interests, but still, these are steps that could potentially change the outcome of some lunatic who wants to kill a massive amount of people.

I just don’t understand the issue with this. Let housekeeping do what is is there for and 99.9% of people do. Get clean towels everyday etc. As for being there. You do not have to let anyone in. Period. It if you utilise housekeeping. It’s a non issue. That’s what they do. They change sheets leave clean towels and make our room like we just checked in. There is no concern. There is no privacy issues. Who cares if the see your dirty clothes. Get over your self. No one cares. They just clean rooms. And again. If you are there. Security can’t make you let them come in. I really think just letting mousekeeping do thier job is the easiest solution.

We did a 10 day stay last summer and never encountered one of these checks. We did see uniformed security walking the halls during our stay. However, no one ever entered our room while we were in it. This isn't really an issue, IMO. It's not like random people are entering your room at all times. And, you still have the security bar on the door, which you should use at all times while you are in the room, regardless.
While we've had a trip in which we did not encounter the situation. We also have had 3 others in which we did, and yes, it's inconvenient, kind of annoying and a little scary. I was traveling as a single mom of 3 kids and one of the times myself and middle child went to the food court to fill up the mugs, leaving my 16 year old and at the time 3 year old in the room and he had to deal with them knocking multiple times and then just coming in (I've always told my kids to never answer a door without knowing who's on the other side of it. That was pretty scary for me as a mom and I'm sure was very startling for my teenager. - This was after I specifically asked that if they had to come into the room to do sometime between 9am-8pm, as I knew most times we wouldn't be in the room during that time... didn't help at all.

Another time they came while I was in the shower...again kids in the room by themselves with a stranger just walking in. - This was the same trip (we were only there for 5 days).

I agree that it's pretty invasive and really does next to nothing to prevent anything whether it be trafficking or a mass attack.

People vary greatly in how much privacy they need to feel comfortable, and it's only human nature to want others to think/feel the same way about things as you do. When the policy started, the people who were opposed to it were convinced that it was so intrusive that others would rise up in protest and force Disney to change. In fact, it seems very few who visit Disney care all that much about it, and those who get daily housekeeping may not even know it exists. These threads always end up in arguments between the same handful of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter