Just read the WDW room security check thread and...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happy Artist

Earning My Ears
... as a victim of assault, I am feeling very leery of staying onsite now. Does Disney Springs hotels do this too? I just don't like that people are coming into my room 2X a day. Housekeeping seems invasive enough when you are in your room, but to have someone else....it just feels icky... like having an unknown security camera watching.

We did a 10 day stay last summer and never encountered one of these checks. We did see uniformed security walking the halls during our stay. However, no one ever entered our room while we were in it. This isn't really an issue, IMO. It's not like random people are entering your room at all times. And, you still have the security bar on the door, which you should use at all times while you are in the room, regardless.

... as a victim of assault, I am feeling very leery of staying onsite now. Does Disney Springs hotels do this too? I just don't like that people are coming into my room 2X a day. Housekeeping seems invasive enough when you are in your room, but to have someone else....it just feels icky... like having an unknown security camera watching.
If you're getting housekeeping, that counts as your check.

When we stayed at AKL over the summer, most of the time it was someone from housekeeping who counted as a room check. And there were a couple of times when we skipped housekeeping and they called when we were in the room to give us a heads up that they were coming. We'd tell them that we were napping and asked if they could come later, and they did. There was no point during our 10 night stay when anyone showed up unannounced to look at our room.

Adding that if that did happen- if a man shows up alone to check your room, I'm sure you could call and ask for clarification and maybe a female to come with him.

We stayed a while a go just after they started doing this. They will knock on your door to see if you are in before entering just like housekeeping. As stated above if housekeeping is able to enter then that will satisfy the security check. Many hotels across the country are starting to do the same thing. Unfortunately it is the society we live in today that has created this need.

We stayed January 2018, April, September and again last week. We never had one security check. Housekeeping is your check.

We did a 10 day stay last summer and never encountered one of these checks. We did see uniformed security walking the halls during our stay. However, no one ever entered our room while we were in it. This isn't really an issue, IMO. It's not like random people are entering your room at all times. And, you still have the security bar on the door, which you should use at all times while you are in the room, regardless.
We stayed in October in both the Poly and BLT and told the front desk that we only wanted a room check between certain hours, told them 11 to 4, knew we would be out of room then. We also use all security locks in our room at all times. Would never want housekeeping walking in at any time.

I always use the chain. Not all security people are outstanding citizens free from corrupt. Even if they were actual police, it still feels icky. And from that thread, there are no rhyme or reason on when they do come in your room and some HAVE when people are in it, and even insisted on coming in. It seems this could be setting people up for crimes to happen, because of the trust factor many have with DIsney. Anyone could come in an knock on your door, and people would believe since they are at DIsney, it would be someone okay.

I am probably in the minority of feeling this way, but I am thinking of changing my reservations to somewhere less intrusive and somewhere that feels safer.

I always use the chain. Not all security people are outstanding citizens free from corrupt. Even if they were actual police, it still feels icky. And from that thread, there are no rhyme or reason on when they do come in your room and some HAVE when people are in it, and even insisted on coming in. It seems this could be setting people up for crimes to happen, because of the trust factor many have with DIsney. Anyone could come in an knock on your door, and people would believe since they are at DIsney, it would be someone okay.

I am probably in the minority of feeling this way, but I am thinking of changing my reservations to somewhere less intrusive and somewhere that feels safer.

I think you have a unique circumstance that makes you more concerned than some of us. I also think if the recent reports of it being non-intrusive and the fact that housekeeping counts as your security check still don't relieve your concerns, you may be better off staying somewhere that doesn't do these checks. It's your vacation, you deserve to stay somewhere you feel comfortable.

To answer your 2nd question, all and any hotel can enter your room if they feel like it, Disney or otherwise. Even those that don't openly say they will, can. It's their property and their ownership of it trumps your right to the room while you are paying for it.
And yes, many, many chains are opening implementing a policy exactly like Disney has now. Lowes had just started it this past October (Universal) and I've seen it at Marriott owned properties too. (remember, they own A LOT of chains)
I get why you are overly worried but really, think on this, how many thousands of guests stay at Disney? How many reports of an attack are there?
I know personally since this policy started we've had over 50 nights on property and not one single instance of someone coming in outside of housekeeping (we never decline it)

Will you be declining housekeeping?
I normally don't use them every day. It just feels like I have to do a lot of work just to enjoy my room during my vacation. I am paying a lot of money to use a room, but having to set up a schedule with them just so I not interrupted during my nap or during hanky panky with my husband, or all those things people do on vacation. I go on vacation to relax, not plan on unexpected company to show up my door 2X each day. It just feel invasive to me. From the threads I have read it isn't just housekeeping, there are others too. 2x a day is too much in my view. Housekeeping should be trained that if they see something suspicious, report it, but to have a security also check room in addition to housecleaning is where I have an issue. I am basing this on the info in the thread of guest's actual recent experiences. I am a teacher, and enjoy my quiet time. I know, I know, I shouldn't come to Disney World if I want quiet. I just would like to relax in my room when I am in there without out having to schedule a nap.

I normally don't use them every day. It just feels like I have to do a lot of work just to enjoy my room during my vacation. I am paying a lot of money to use a room, but having to set up a schedule with them just so I not interrupted during my nap or during hanky panky with my husband, or all those things people do on vacation. I go on vacation to relax, not plan on unexpected company to show up my door 2X each day. It just feel invasive to me. From the threads I have read it isn't just housekeeping, there are others too. 2x a day is too much in my view. Housekeeping should be trained that if they see something suspicious, report it, but to have a security also check room in addition to housecleaning is where I have an issue. I am basing this on the info in the thread of guest's actual recent experiences. I am a teacher, and enjoy my quiet time. I know, I know, I shouldn't come to Disney World if I want quiet. I just would like to relax in my room when I am in there without out having to schedule a nap.
It is once a day not twice. Housekeeping counts as this check. If the sign is on your door according to recent reports they will call to see if they can come in. I've stayed in property 4 times since this was implemented and not once have I been disturbed. One stay they didn't even service my room 3 days. and I hadn't decline housekeeping.

I don't foresee a problem for you but if you are uncomfortable no amount of people on here telling you there is no need to worry will make you feel better. You might be better renting a villa and staying off property at an Airbnb or something similar.

I am sorry if my feelings are not the norm. If you want to remove my post, that is fine. I was just expressing how invasive it feels to have strangers show up at your door 2x a day. Please remove my post.
But they do not show up at your door 2x's a day. It's once. I know some say otherwise but they are anomalies, not the norm. Crossed wires on if one was done, etc. And A LOT of the procedures have altered since the policy began
And something to know, this is becoming an industry norm now. Disney is no longer the exception to it.

We never saw hide nor hair of mousekeeping nor security on our May SSR trip or December BLT. We always use the latch AND the deadbolt when in the room.

However, you have a unique circumstance and typical assurances just might not cut it for you. Understandably. Perhaps renting an off site villa or vacation home would be best?

Im am 110% ok with room checks..Its happened a couple times...a knock on the door and once it was at 0800 the other was late evening. We said all is fine, they moved on. No issues at all with that.

You can use the chain at a Disney resort, too. I certainly do, in any hotel. No one's going to stand at the door and demand that you take the chain off and let them in. They may ask to be allowed in to check the room, but you can certainly say that you prefer not to, and call the desk to ask that the check be rescheduled for a time when you're not in the room. They're not forcing doors open if someone declines a check.

I'll agree with others who've posted that it's not a 2x a day check, unless someone's made a mistake. It's certainly not Disney's policy to do 2x a day checks routinely. If you're getting housekeeping, that'll be your check, and it'll probably happen while you're out at the parks.

All of that said, though, if the policy does make you feel unsafe, you should definitely consider staying somewhere else. Vacations are too important (and too expensive) to spend them being stressed out about your safety. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter