Just got email - Rates dropped!

$389 is $40 less than what they were asking earlier this year .. Our last Dapper Day in 2016 at GCH was $257

Ditto! DD rates had really crept up the last couple years, along with rack rates. Rack rates are now retreating a bit (with a special on top of it). I think rack rates may have bumped down again in the last week or so, just checking some sporadic dates which I have been watching with interest.

Summer dates are still over $700 GCH, but I really think that is dependent on ROTR/SWGE getting some serious traction this Winter/Spring. I just think it's fair to say they finally met some price resistance in the past year. Issues with SWGE completely aside...

My guess: We may see more AP tweaks, but I have doubts on a ticket price increase this year. It just doesn't jive with hotel rates dropping on-site/off-site.

We're only doing the convention 1 day, as anymore seemed like overkill, but I'm forcing my wife and kids to dress in their Sunday Best for 1 day at the park. :-)
Make sure to use PhotoPass as much as possible that day! The lines may be a bit longer than usual since everyone will be wanting those iconic park photos, but it will be so worth it to have your family photos with everyone looking so spiffy! Such great memories!

The Dapper Day website is pretty clear that you don't need to attend the expo to get the discounted hotel rate. Dressing up for the parks on April 19 is participating in Dapper Day and qualifies you for the rate. And Disney is the one providing the discounted rate (it's not like the Dapper Day organizers subsidize it), and Disney's interest is in promoting the parks, not in what's going on in the convention center....
From the DD's website:
Can I use the DAPPER DAY discounts at Disney even if I don't dress up?
Our Disney park and hotel discounts are in place for guests participating in DAPPER DAY events.
Disney may contact guests who book discounted rooms that do not include one of the primary dates of our events, and may cancel those reservations.

You are correct that, at this time, DD does not require the purchase of Expo tickets or merchandise to receive the hotel and park ticket discount. However, it is courteous and gracious to give back to the organization that is so generously offering the discounts to so many and that provides a weekend of such fun to so many. The tickets and merchandise are hardly expensive (especially when compared to on site hotel rooms and park tickets in the first place), so helping to support the DD organization and all their hard work only helps to keep the discounts going. (If DD folds, then the discounts will disappear, right?) DD has already had to make big cuts because of dwindling support and rising costs. The Expo (which is not held at the ACC, as a pp noted) used to be held at the GCH. Not anymore. There used to be more panels and side events. Not anymore. There used to be a Friday night kick off soiree at the Jazz Kitchen with a big name band. Not anymore. Supporting the convention can help prevent further cuts. We've already lost fun events like Jitterbugging the Park (small, but really fun!) -- we'd hate to lose DD, too. There is nothing "bullying" about encouraging support for a non-official event.

The posters asking people to “please support Dapper Days” were not directed at the OP and certainly were not even remotely close to bullying or shaming. Not really sure why the hostility is necessary here. The OP sounds like a willing Dapper Days participant that is spreading the word that the discounted rate is now even better. No harm done.
Exactly!

From the DD's website:
Can I use the DAPPER DAY discounts at Disney even if I don't dress up?
Our Disney park and hotel discounts are in place for guests participating in DAPPER DAY events.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what I've been saying.

You seem to have backed off from the sentiment that I took issue with, just as I backed off the use the of the word "bully" as it obviously triggered a couple other posters. So I'll just agree with you that it would be "courteous and gracious," if not necessary, to pay for the expo and leave it at that.

The price still sounds outrageous, but I just looked at booking direct and it would be $751. for Saturday night.

Personally, I do hope they police the convention rates. There's been times in the past when I wanted to book a few weeks out and be part of the convention and the rooms were already sold out. If all those people were going to the convention, then that's just my loss. However, if a large chunk of them weren't, it doesn't see fair.

I've been scrawled at by people attending Gay Days when I've been there wearing a red shirt checking into the Grand. I'm sure they feel that I am taking a room away from them. Our family wears red or rainbow and one of us is transgender. I feel like we qualify, but it seems like to some people, we don't. We try to participate in at least one of the rides/pictures, but sometimes the crowds are just way too much for us. I guess if we are ever asked point blank if we are gay, we'd have to say no.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what I've been saying.

You seem to have backed off from the sentiment that I took issue with, just as I backed off the use the of the word "bully" as it obviously triggered a couple other posters. So I'll just agree with you that it would be "courteous and gracious," if not necessary, to pay for the expo and leave it at that.
Not backing off, just clarifying more fully since it was clear that you were misunderstanding what I and others were saying. I'm glad that the OP understood clearly and had no issues.

Now, let's get this thread back on topic!

Last edited:
That's very cool, OP! I think of the expo ticket cost as being so offset by the hotel discount that I'm glad to do it. It's only about $15 per adult for the entire 2-day expo and kids (12 and under, I think) are free.

I hope you have a wonderful time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!