Just got A Hero 12 Go Pro , any tips for recording a ride like Beauty & Beast at TDR??

TwingleMum

DIS Veteran
I never had a Go Pro but always wanted one. We are going to Japan in June and will be at Tokyo Disney for 5 days. I want to record the Beauty and Beast ride for my nieces. Are there better settings to use for a ride? I would think it is probably similar to Ratatouille in EPCOT. I also plan on using it on the Mario Street Karts you drive around Tokyo. Thanks for any help. I bought several books but they seem to concentrate on action sports or under water stuff.

I've been using GoPros since version 1, although my most current one is a 10.

The first thing to consider is what mount you are going to use. GoPros aren't designed very well for handholding. A nice thing about the GoPro 12 is that it has a 1/4" threaded hole at the bottom, so you can screw it onto a selfie stick if that is what you want. But I don't think Tokyo Disneyland allows selfie sticks. Maybe a short handle mount would work. Or a wrist mount. Or you could handhold it by setting it on the edge of your teacup and just holding it there.

For the carts, you'll want something like a helmet mount or a chest mount or maybe even a handlebar mount. You might want to contact them in advance to see what they recommend. I've also found that a lot of places like that have mounts already built into some helmets or on the cars or whatever.

As for camera settings, that's a bit of a tougher question to answer. The biggest problem you'll face is that GoPros are small-sensor action cameras. They are amazing with a lot of light, but not as amazing in low light. The Beauty and the Beast ride is pretty dark, so you are going to struggle to get good image quality regardless of the settings. You might want to watch the video below.

One thing I disagree with from the video is his suggestion to use hypersmooth if you don't have a gimbal and to raise your shutter speed to 1/192. I think you'd be better off with hypersmooth turned off and your shutter speed set to 1/48 (at 24fps). You'll get 4 times as much light at 1/48 and I think that is more important than hypersmooth. It will be shakier, but the image will look better.

Have a great time in Tokyo! And enjoy being able to ride the Song of the South version of Splash Mountain. Boy are you in luck! If you have any questions after watching that video, let me know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter