Just Got a Call from DCL about the Fantasy MV Date Change

DCL pulled the April 7, 2012 sailing so that they can contact everyone that is already booked and give them first dibs on the March 31, 2012 sailing if they wish to switch their date

If you booked through a travel agent they will be contacting your travel agent.

They will put the new maiden voyage sailing, March 31, 2012 and the second sailing
April 7, 2012 back on their website to price after the end of the year.

I haven't heard anything yet so I'm guessing we might get a call today. I wonder if they will swap it from Western to Eastern now. If so, we'll probably cancel or move it because we strongly prefer the Western.
After 72 cruises, wouldn't the fact that it was MV be more important than whether it's doing Eastern or Western? :)

I think DCL may have pushed up the date by a week for financial reasons. They already get top dollar for Easter week cruises and didn't need the draw of a new ships maiden voyage. By moving it up a week, they get top dollar for the 3/31 and the 4/7 cruises.

Im very upset that I had to learn about this hear online before Disney notified the guests booked already. Is it that difficult to send out an email explaining what is going on the options and then saying that they will be contacting you.

After 72 cruises, wouldn't the fact that it was MV be more important than whether it's doing Eastern or Western? :)

I think DCL may have pushed up the date by a week for financial reasons. They already get top dollar for Easter week cruises and didn't need the draw of a new ships maiden voyage. By moving it up a week, they get top dollar for the 3/31 and the 4/7 cruises.

:thumbsup2 Great point.

that explains why the cruise is off the website. Have my request into Dreams Unlimited so will see what they have....;)

Im very upset that I had to learn about this hear online before Disney notified the guests booked already. Is it that difficult to send out an email explaining what is going on the options and then saying that they will be contacting you.

They are contacting everyone by phone so it takes a little longer
The only reason it was posted here is that the person received the call about the change
Why are you upset that it was posted? They locked the sailings so that no new bookings can be made until everyone has been contacted and has had a chance to make a decision

It is easier for them to call so they can make sure that everyone on the cruise hears the news. Some people don't always check their email. It is also a bit more personal to call. They are trying to be nice. :santa:

They very easily could have had the new earlier cruise be the Christening Cruise or a special preview cruise and still gotten top dollar for it, and left the 4/7 cruise as the Maiden Voyage. I would have been ok with that. My wife is a teacher, and so we cannot switch to the new MV cruise. I also booked using DVC points, so it is non-refundable and what not. If they had announced it this way originally, I would have just booked a cruise in the summer, when airfare and other travel expenses to Florida are much cheaper than over Easter week. I still have not gotten a phone call either. My guess is that since I booked through DVC and not DCL, DVC has to be the one to contact me, and they are still figuring out what the policy is going to be. Are there any DVC members book this cruise on points and have been contacted?

They are contacting everyone by phone so it takes a little longer
The only reason it was posted here is that the person received the call about the change
Why are you upset that it was posted? They locked the sailings so that no new bookings can be made until everyone has been contacted and has had a chance to make a decision

I am not upset that it was posted. In fact, I am very grateful that it was posted. I am upset that I had to hear about it from a second hand source and not Disney. A simple email stating that its changed that explains options available, ie keeping the same date vs changing and the fact that bookings have been locked until guests are contacted would have been nice.

It is easier for them to call so they can make sure that everyone on the cruise hears the news. Some people don't always check their email. It is also a bit more personal to call. They are trying to be nice. :santa:

I do understand a phone call is more personal and I am not saying that they should not be calling everyone. Also, yes, not everyone checks checks their email all the time and some don't have it. But to me, that is not an excuse for delaying the release of important information to customers. Disney is charging a premium for the Maiden Voyage and it would be nice to have a level of customer service the premium paid.

Hello.....what if I don't want to change to the new date.....do they automatically keep the reservation the same? Also will it be an Eastern itinerary instead????? TIA:love::flower3:

Hello.....what if I don't want to change to the new date.....do they automatically keep the reservation the same? Also will it be an Eastern itinerary instead????? TIA:love::flower3:

You will need to tell them what you wish to do:
1 - Move to 31st March
2 - Stay on 4/7 (western itinerary)
3 - Cancel without any penalties

I am not upset that it was posted. In fact, I am very grateful that it was posted. I am upset that I had to hear about it from a second hand source and not Disney. A simple email stating that its changed that explains options available, ie keeping the same date vs changing and the fact that bookings have been locked until guests are contacted would have been nice.

Oh I understand but Disney is way behind on the technology age as far as their reservation systems go. They are coming along but not there yet

They only listed the change yesterday and started the phone calls yesterday. Travel agents were advised about it so that they can let their guests know so that is another way they are getting the word out

Ok, I got a call back from Disney. I am all switched to the new date and made sure my request for a suite was still in place. The new date is the same price as the original sailing date. You would think that a cruise taking place over Easter would have a higher demand and therefore a higher price. If you look at the 5 Night sailing that takes place over Easter, it is more expensive than any other 5 night sailing at least a month before or after it. You would think not sailing on the holiday would mean a lower price. :confused3

Is it a less desirable week for the same great price?

Ok, I got a call back from Disney. I am all switched to the new date and made sure my request for a suite was still in place. The new date is the same price as the original sailing date. You would think that a cruise taking place over Easter would have a higher demand and therefore a higher price. If you look at the 5 Night sailing that takes place over Easter, it is more expensive than any other 5 night sailing at least a month before or after it. You would think not sailing on the holiday would mean a lower price. :confused3

Traditionally the sailing before Easter Sunday and the week of Easter are both considered holiday sailings. The reason is that some schools are off the week before Easter Sunday and some the week starting on Easter Sunday

Got my call from DCL today. I'm kinda glad for the change in date. I'll be able to sail on the MV and still be home for Easter.

I do understand a phone call is more personal and I am not saying that they should not be calling everyone. Also, yes, not everyone checks checks their email all the time and some don't have it. But to me, that is not an excuse for delaying the release of important information to customers. Disney is charging a premium for the Maiden Voyage and it would be nice to have a level of customer service the premium paid.

Disney spent two days and called hundreds of customers individually to explain the situation, explain the options, answer questions, and take all the time that the customer needed, and you feel that this is poor customer service?

I can see where an e-mail blast would be real problem - especially on a cruise like this. Let's say Disney sends out an e-mail blast to hundreds of people.. many of them will call in at the same time and clog up the phone system.. as a result, people trying to get their questions answered and reservations moved wait on the phone... and people trying to book new cruises wait too.

These forums seem to specialize in discussion about insider information, breaking news, sneak peaks, Disney rumors, and speculation. If you've spent any time here, you should know that many times you will read about something here before the official word comes out from Disney - it isn't unusual, it isn't bad, and it isn't something that Disney should build their entire customer contact policies around.

I'm not on the Maiden Voyage myself, but I don't see where Disney provided anything less than exceptional customer service in this case.

It may be a less desirable week but the premium you are paying is for the Maiden Voyage sailing. As posted earlier in this thread the fact that Disney can get the ship sailing a week earlier is great business for them as they can command top prices for the MAiden Voyage followed by a second cruise which guests pay top price for because it is a holiday week.

Regardless I am sure you will have a great time and now you have one week less to wait!

Mel
x

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter