Just curious- when did Disney start allowing wagons?

It can feel like a weapon when the person pushing the wagon is texting instead of looking where they are going and runs into you! PSA: Texting and driving a stroller/wagon/car = bad news!

I have some pictures of a nasty mark I got on the back of my leg from a stroller (not a wagon, but one of the behemoth ones that some cannot seem to control/use like a battering ram). Took a couple weeks for it to heal fully. The operator was in her own world not paying attention and ran me down without even an apology:crutches:

It wasn't even a crowded day/area when it happened either. Just a person who should not have been driving one if she couldn't keep her eyes on the road.

I'm a big fan of umbrella strollers. Much easier to maneuver for the operators and I've yet to have one cause me pain when it runs into me (so I'm extra biased in their favor). Not a fan of the rolling lockers that are just theft targets anyways. Hated when a friend I was with one time used a big stroller for their toddler. They could barely operate it and clipped a lot of heels. Went much better with an umbrella on a different visit.
I've been hit by a stroller wagon. I was walking on the sidewalk on buena vista street when one came darting out of the store! Left a bruise on my thigh. The mom apologized, but said she can't see all the way in front of her when she pushes it due to it being long..which made me think, why would she have it if she can't see where she is pushing?!

These are super popular in the multiples community. Because the seats aren't separated like a stroller, you can fit 3 (or even four) smaller kids in a two-seater instead of having to bring in a double and a single. Now, I don't think the majority of Disney users actually have 3 small children in them, but they are certainly the smallest way to transport toddler triplets or twins and a bonus around the park.

I was looking at some old pictures of Disneyland from back in the late 70s that a coworker brought to work the other day. I noticed in many of the pictures small children were walking and holding an adult or older child's hand. Out of 20 pictures about half of them had small kids walking in them. In those 20 pictures I only saw one stroller. And even in the late 70s, it was still crowded. :)

I dislike strollers in general and there are a ridiculous amount of them in the parks, but I don't see that changing anytime soon. I know that the wagons are technically smaller than a lot of strollers, but they just look huge.

They're huge!

BUT, I often see them with two kids inside... if the alternative is a side-by-side stroller, or even two strollers, then I guess we're even.

P.S. I'm so tired, I read this as "when did Disney start allowing weapons?" :magnify:

I totally read it as "weapons" the first go round, too!

I haven't noticed one of these in person yet, but we went to WDW last year instead of DLR. They sound way too big to be practical in the pathways at Disneyland.

I felt like they handled stroller parking better in 2016 than in our previous trips. I've got 5 kids now, so it is nearly impossible to avoid the stroller (and just check out advice for families - we're told repeatedly to bring a stroller, even for older children). The wagons just do not appeal to me. If you pull them (against the rules), you can't see what the kids are doing inside and you can't be sure you aren't running over people. If you push them, visibility is TERRIBLE, especially with a canopy up. It is hard enough with a double stroller or sit & stand.

At some point in the near future, it would probably make sense for DLR to simply not allow strollers that aren't rented there or charge a small fee for stroller entry. That way they can optimize stroller parking and have better data for planning and anticipating stroller impact on crowding by keeping stats on number of strollers in the park. And it basically puts a (hopefully) small tax on stroller users, which may discourage those who don't really need them from bringing them.

I wasn't paying enough attention on our last trip to notice how many were wagons, but I do remember seeing seas of "strollers" that probably included some.

I just watched a promo video because I didn't know how you could "fold" a wagon for the buses, but I guess you can. :confused3

Lots of interesting POV here! What boggles my mind is- who has a car big enough for one of these huge things and still has room for everything else you need for a Disney trip? LOL We used a front to back double stroller on one trip with a 3yo and a 6mth old. I hated it! It took up so much room in the van and was very hard to maneuver. I swore never again! After that we bought a mid-size umbrella stroller and it was the best decision ever. And would have bought 2 had we needed instead of the double. I really dislike not feeling like I have good control of whatever I’m pushing/pulling. On the other hand there were a few times a portable shelter with zip-up sides would have been nice during some of the rain we had last week!

I think its important for the stroller operator to have some practice too. I've been driving various models of double strollers for 9 years, so I've worked out a lot of the kinks. We've done side-by-side heavy duty strollers, side-by-side light-weight umbrella strollers, tandem strollers, and sit & stand. The side-by-side umbrellas were FABULOUS - except a heavy diaper bag would pull the stroller over if it was empty or the smallest baby (6 months at the time) was in, so that was a little nerve wracking! I think the sit & stand has been my favorite of the bunch, because I could actually get 3 kids on it at once (baby in front, 1 kid sitting in the back, 1 kiddo standing, it had a slimmer profile than the side-by-side, and it wasn't much longer than a standard stroller.

It really does make a HUGE difference if the stroller operator is paying attention and being mindful of everyone else, but I can understand how frustrating the sea of strollers is.

Here today and saw about four of these monstrosities. Most with 1 or 2 kids only do a regular stroller would work! Sorry but if you take this to the parks, many people like myself are judging you. Completely self entitled in my opinion! But self entitled people usually don’t care if they bother anyone.

Last edited:
They were ALL OVER Disneyland in August, but not as prevalent at WDW in January. I was pretty shocked to see them myself since I thought wagons were not allowed. The explanation that they can be pushed makes sense.

Lots of interesting POV here! What boggles my mind is- who has a car big enough for one of these huge things and still has room for everything else you need for a Disney trip? LOL We used a front to back double stroller on one trip with a 3yo and a 6mth old. I hated it! It took up so much room in the van and was very hard to maneuver. I swore never again! After that we bought a mid-size umbrella stroller and it was the best decision ever. And would have bought 2 had we needed instead of the double. I really dislike not feeling like I have good control of whatever I’m pushing/pulling. On the other hand there were a few times a portable shelter with zip-up sides would have been nice during some of the rain we had last week!
They can be collapsed into a small bag. It’s like magic lol. Such a small bag has this huge stroller in it.

I love the Keenz stroller wagons and wish they had been around when my kids were littles. I definitely would have purchased one of these instead of the Sit ‘n stand we had. Young kids require a lot of “stuff” and these make life so much easier. Plus the options such as wind cover, mosquito covers, etc. are just fantastic.

I’d personally rather have comfortable, sleeping kids in these than the exhausted, overstimulated, screaming children we see in the evenings at DLR and WDW. Being rammed with a stroller is never fun, but some of the more dangerous incidents involve the wheelchairs/ecvs. People certainly need to pay attention.

No mom/dad should ever feel judged for doing what’s best for her/his children, but maybe I just think this way because I’m entitled. :confused3

I love the Keenz stroller wagons and wish they had been around when my kids were littles. I definitely would have purchased one of these instead of the Sit ‘n stand we had. Young kids require a lot of “stuff” and these make life so much easier. Plus the options such as wind cover, mosquito covers, etc. are just fantastic.

I’d personally rather have comfortable, sleeping kids in these than the exhausted, overstimulated, screaming children we see in the evenings at DLR and WDW. Being rammed with a stroller is never fun, but some of the more dangerous incidents involve the wheelchairs/ecvs. People certainly need to pay attention.

No mom/dad should ever feel judged for doing what’s best for her/his children, but maybe I just think this way because I’m entitled. :confused3

Totally agree. While researching strollers for my son who has special needs, this stroller came highly recommended. It has a very high capacity carrying weight so it would last him a LONG time, could hold additional supplies that he needs that most people don’t have to worry about carrying around, and the canopy comes fully down on both sides if he were to need his own space. We chose a different stroller, but may get this in the future for him and honestly, I don’t care if people want to judge me or not. I try my hardest to not judge others as I don’t know their situation, but I feel I may be in the minority with that mindset :( ...oh well, if it’s in the rules and it is what my son will need, then yep, I’m going definitely get it and I’m going to make sure we won’t run over anyone ;)

At some point in the near future, it would probably make sense for DLR to simply not allow strollers that aren't rented there or charge a small fee for stroller entry. That way they can optimize stroller parking and have better data for planning and anticipating stroller impact on crowding by keeping stats on number of strollers in the park. And it basically puts a (hopefully) small tax on stroller users, which may discourage those who don't really need them from bringing them

Do.you feel the same about EVCs?
I feel it is likely that there were not swarms of these at Disney in the 70s either....

I figure this change was made around the time that these were allowed over at ‘World: https://www.fantasystrollers.com/products/princess-carriage-stroller

I have seen tons of them in WDW, but very rarely I ever saw children in them, just piles of junk in them.

Same with most strollers, really.

They are ridiculous honestly. People will push the rules though and Disney is awful for pushing back but they should be banned!

Yep. Which means they’ll look the other way for 2 years and then ban ALL wheeled conveyances altogether. It’s the Disney way!

I was looking at some old pictures of Disneyland from back in the late 70s that a coworker brought to work the other day. I noticed in many of the pictures small children were walking and holding an adult or older child's hand. Out of 20 pictures about half of them had small kids walking in them. In those 20 pictures I only saw one stroller. And even in the late 70s, it was still crowded. :)

Well, there weren’t many stroller types or easily pushed ones then.

In the early 70s my mom used harnesses with me and my brother because a stroller wasn’t part of her life. (Not at Disney, but...)

Young kids require a lot of “stuff” and these make life so much easier.

Do they?

Strollers were used by me (proper jogging one at home for jogging, umbrella one specifically for Disney) for MY convenience, so I could rush around as fast as I wanted without having to wait. (If I could jog everywhere my hips would be so much happier. Strolling/sauntering HURTS me) Wasn’t for my kid. A diaper bag sufficed for the day.

The first time we tried to leave anything in the rental stroller (before we owned one) my son’s new pirate hat was stolen. Fast lesson to learn!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!