• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just Chinese?

Rella

Mouseketeer
Only place we could make dinner ADR was Nine Dragons. Anything special? or just like your neighborhood Chinese?

5 years or so ago, BLECH. But just ate there on a recent trip (had heard they had made some changes for the better) and the honey sesame and general tso's chicken were really good. Nothing super special or different, but pretty good anyway.

I thought Nine Dragons was much better than the Chinese food places around here (in Maine). Ate there last year and LOVED the honey sesame chicken, and everything else was at least okay.

We are used to very good Chinese food here in Connecticut. Nine Gragons was the worst Chinese food we had ever eaten. We went this May. It was, without question, the worst restaurant in WDW.

Mickey1122 said:
We are used to very good Chinese food here in Connecticut. Nine Gragons was the worst Chinese food we had ever eaten. We went this May. It was, without question, the worst restaurant in WDW.

Hummmm...now I'm from New York. And for the very first time DH and I ate at Nine Dragons last month. We didn't find the food bad at all. Nothing out of this world, but I definately wouldn't say it was the worst.

OH no I wonder if I should try somewhere else? Mexico also had times. This was DH request. How about Japan? Looking at the menu it looks like only sushi. Not for us.Need help!

I think Mexico is overpriced for not that great of food and service. Japan has two restaurants; you can get sushi at both but that's not all they have. Teppanyaki is where they grill the food in front of you and Tempura Kiku (no ADRs taken) has the batter-fried stuff. Teppanyaki is pretty good, but if you have this type of restaurant in your hometown, it's not different (Kobe, Benihana, etc.) The food at Tempura Kiku was very bland. Of those 4 choices, I'd stick with Nine Dragons. But Marrakesh is by far my favorite Epcot restaurant.

Really? Marakesh? I never thought of that one. DH is very strange when it comes to unfamiliar foods. What kinds of foods do they serve? What could a picky BIG guy like? Thanks

I havent ate at the TS mexico restaurant (next trip), but I have at at the CS Mexico restaurant. The CS rest was VERY bland/ Americanized food. I suppose most americans would say its great. Personally, ive been to Mexico many times, and we like AUTHENTIC Mexican food with REAL spices and the more authentic ingredients (not just sour cream and lettuce and beans!)
My guess is if the TS Mexico is REALLY authentic (the menu looks pretty authentic, not americanized) then that would explain why most people dont like it. If they are comparing it to their local Mexican restaurant they are comparing it to a TEXMEX restaurant made to please people with no tolerance for authenticity.
It may be the same way with the chinese retaurant.

Now I havent tried Nine Dragons but there is always mixed reviews and I would try it if you really want to..

Rella said:
Really? Marakesh? I never thought of that one. DH is very strange when it comes to unfamiliar foods. What kinds of foods do they serve? What could a picky BIG guy like? Thanks
We each got the the Marrakesh Feast in July... pretty expensive, but it had a bit of everything. My daughter liked the lamb (?) soup appetizer. We both liked the lemon chicken and shish kabobs. When we go back there, she'll get the chicken and I'll get the kabob. They also have chicken kabobs, couscous, etc.

I was actually surprised, DD18 like the whole meal in general more than I did. BTW, we saw the belly dancer twice during our meal... that might persuade the hubby to give it a try...

We preferred Nine Dragons over San Angel Inn (Mexico table service). We're eating again at Nine Dragons this trip, but we won't eat at San Angel Inn again unless the food changes (but I wouldn't want that to happen for the sake of people that like it the way it is).

We spend most of our Disney time at Epcot. We often "overhear" people talking about different restaurants, and Nine Dragons and San Angel Inn are the two we hear the worst comments about by far (San Angel Inn leading by miles). I booked San Angel Inn for my upcoming trip. I say Ya never know till ya try! Most people dont agree on anything, and if you THINK you might like it... ya just might.
I say GO FOR IT!

We ate there as part of our goal to dine in every WS restaurant.

The food was no better/no worse than our local takeout in NY, definitely nothing special in our opinion.

Will you be at Epcot for lunch? Maybe you can have a nice lunch and then grabl something at counter service for dinner?

Also, I highly reccomend trying to dine in Morocco. Great food and entertainment, and I think the restaurant gets overlooked since people are not familair with the food.

Check out the menu below.

http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menu_mor.htm

DH, DS & I ate at Nine Dragon's a few years ago. DH & I Had the Beijing Duck for 2 and DS had General Tso's chicken. Everything was delicious and enormous portions. DS had to take a doggy bag.

We usually try to go to Japan's Teppanyaki grill everytime we are down. We enjoy the show the chefs put on and the food is very good. You can order Sushi as an appetizer, but it is not the only thing on the menu at this restaurant. DH & I usually have the Lobster and Scallop dinner. :thumbsup2

It's been years since we've been to Nine Dragons, so they may have improved since then, but...

It was unquestionably the worst Chinese food we've ever had. Everything was cold, greasy and soggy. The whole idea of going back turns my stomach...and I'll cheerfully eat nearly anything.

Our experience at the San Angel Inn last October was interesting. Everyone who ordered off the "regular" menu was terribly disappointed in their meal--all the criticisms you read here about it being over-americanized, bland, sub-taco bell-quality applied. But everyone who tried one of the "chef's selections" (or whatever they call the different, not-on-the-menu choices) found their meal excellent. I had something with pomegranite seeds in the sauce that was sooooo good!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter