Just booked II exchange at Marriott Breckenridge Mountain Valley Lodge

okwmiester

Mouseketeer
I am wondering if anyone has been to the Marriott at Breckenridge Colorado? Looking for tips for a ski trip planned for March 2002. I thought it was a good deal for an exchange....98 points for 7 nights in a modified studio that includes a half kitchen and whirlpool!

You will love Breckenridge, and Marriotts Mountain Valley Lodge! The resort is steps away from Main Street, and the slopes.

The studio actually has a full kitchen, and is quite comfortable.

March is a great month to be at Breck. Breckenridge is at 10,000 feet, so be prepared to experience the effects of the altitude. Drink a lot of water (8-10 glasses per day) for several days, prior to your arrival. We have found that a humidifier helps, while we are at altitude.

For eats, The Mint, in Silverthorne is a must! Very reasonably priced. You grill your own steaks, etc.
If you should trek to Keystone (about twenty minutes away), we always enjoy the Sunday Brunch (at the summit), or the Fondue Dinners. Both require reservations, and two gondola rides.

Only 90 points! How did you do that.

We are skiers too, but never been out west. Just New England.

You will have to give us all the details when you return!!

Great Exchange....and do not miss a trip to Keystone. We had a great time and the Marriott is wonderful!

Had a great stay at the Marriott in Breck a year ago April. The studio has a small kitchen with a stove, dishwasher and full size fridge. Slopeside, right in town - great location.

The one thing about Breck is that it is very spread out. Even though you will be slopeside you need to plan on allowing some time to work your way to/from the resort on the massive lift system.

Not sure how often you ski out west or how you ski - but be prepared. I did some extra conditioning in order to be prepared for the altitude. My brother did nothing and was dogging it the whole trip. We spent a lot of time hiking (the Lake Chutes was a haul but incredible if you like it REALLY steep and deep). Even if you stick to the greens and blues a little extra conditioning will help.

If you have the chance to acclimatize for a day in Denver it is not a bad idea. I was in Denver 2 days on business before heading up to Breck and I think it helped. If you don't have the chance to spend a day getting used to the altitude take it easy your first day or so on the slopes, drink a lot of water and avoid alcohol if you can. We tried - but a few beers on the lodge deck at the end of the day when it was warm and sunny were irresistable.

Depending on your ability level you should definitely hit some other resorts. If you get a multiday pass it will be good for most of the summit county resorts, including Breck, Keystone, Arapahoe Basin, and Vail (maybe others - I can't recall).

Keystone and A Basin are a short drive. We hit A Basin two days. Highly recommend it if you are an advanced skier. This resort is right next to the Continental Divide with skiing at 13,000 feet - the highest lift served in the US. There is some pretty difficult stuff at Breck - but A Basin........look out. If you are not up for that I hear Keystone is a nice resort.

Vail is a longer drive and we were going to do it - but the conditions were not as good there in April since it is at a lower altitude. In March it should be great - and it would be nice to say you've skied there if you've never been. Be mindful of road conditions on I 90 before you head out.

Look into the Peaks Card. You can find info on line at the Breck web site. I signed up for it and it was good for a discount on multiday passes purchased in advance. Besides the discount it was convenient since the card was our lift ticket - didn't have to go to the ticket windows at all, they scan the card at the lift. You would need to set that up a few weeks in advance.

As for equipment - we rented skis and poles rather than hauling them on the plane. You may be able to set up equipment rentals in advance at a discount. Again you can find info on the Breck web site. We didn't because we wanted high performance gear that they couldn't gaurantee in advance. Depending on what you need it may work for you.

As far as driving from Denver to Breck - if the roads allow take the scenic route over the Continental Divide rather than using the Eisenhower tunnel on I 90. The route over the Continental Divide closes often in winter due to snow. It will also take you a little longer. However, the view from the top of the Divide is awesome. I had never been out west and the scenery was just incredible.

I'm hoping to set up some kind of trip out west next winter. Hard to convince the wife - plus we have a 2nd child due in July. I'm still hoping though. Otherwise I will be jealous in NY. You will have a great time. If you have any questions just ask.

Wow! That is a great point exchange. I have also never skied out West. At this point exchange, I could see myself going soon.

How do you save a thread. I would also like to save this one?

Gina

I think we should try to create on this board a sample of bargain point exchange deals that dvc members get. Otherwise it seems that when I put in a request for II, I never know exactly what my point situation will be. I was also fortunate to book the Marriott Custom House in Boston (absoluty beautiful location) for seven days in a 1 BR with micr wave and fridge, for only 112 points (March 2001). Based on my review of the liteature on all of our DVC options, it think this was an outstanding deal and far exceeds the kind of deal that you might get through any of the conciere collection exchanges (only talking point "bang for buck" value).

To save a thread simply just bookmark the page and file it with your "favorites".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter