Just Back - Random Observations on Kids Menus & Keeping Track of Credits!

Bonnie151

DIS Veteran
We're just back and wow, I'd like to give a big thanks to all DISers who have pointed out hints, warnings recommendations etc over the past few months here - this board definitely gave us one big dining success over the past fortnight. :thumbsup2

So, some random observations:

1. We Actually Liked the Kids Menus

I planned our meals to be a mix of buffets and chose the non-TS restaurants carefully to make sure DS(5) would get a good variety of food. It went *much* better than I expected. Connor and his sister(23 months) ate like a king & queen - at the Nine Dragons, Connor's meal of pot stickers & sweet & sour chicken was far better than any of the adults' meals. :lmao: Other winners were:

Cape May Clambake- big bowl of chowder for Connor followed by a heaping plate of mussels for him and his sister (what fun for a neat freak toddler- remove the mussel, eat it and carefully stack the empty shell on the rubbish plate) and cornbread.

Mama Melrose - Minestrone followed by much of my calamari starter (which his sister poached too - I don't think I got more than a bite or two) and then penne pasta with 4 cheeses.

Coral Reef - Lobster Soup followed by mahi mahi

WCC - Kids skillet (i.e. his share of the adult's serving)

'Ohana - We were offered a choice of "kids" food like mac & cheese, but Connor's not really into that kind of food so happily tucked into the shrimp, potatoes & skewered meat.

I could keep going, but rather than bore, will say that I'm sure sugar-free jello is on the menus, but I never even noticed it. We were offered a cookie or brownie or other item at every counter service restaurant we went to. To my toddler's delight there were heaping bowls of strawberries at every buffet we ate at and grapes as an option at our hotel's CS restaurant (as in a big bowl for an adult dessert - we'd stick in in the fridge & keep her snacking on them for the rest of the day)

2. There's Too Much Food!

I read about it, but didn't quite believe it. In fact, before we booked the DDP, we were debating whether one snack, one CS and one TS meal per day would be enough. With the caveat that I know we don't tend to eat all that much, for the three of us after a fortnight, we had 23 snacks and 11 CS credits left over. :lmao: We didn't bother about the CS credits, and did one last late night run to Goofy's Candy Co to use up the snack credits (brilliant! We were allowed anything $4.00 or under except for boxed candy).

3. You Do Need to Watch Those Credits

I'd read a couple of threads about making sure the correct number of credits were deducted after your meal. A good warning. Mama Melrose deducted 3 adult credits and one child credit for our meal of 2 adults & one child. I pointed this out to the waitress to have her say to me, "I need you to sign that slip. You can sort it out with Guest Relations when you get back to your hotel." Uh no. Ignoring the fact that our ILs had also had a credit problem at another restaurant and took the "speak to Guest Relations" advice only to be told by Guest Relations that restaurant problems need to be dealt with at the time by the restaurant (long story that took much hassle to resolve), I wouldn't sign a credit card slip with an incorrect amount, so there was no way I was signing this slip. Off the waitress went in a strop. 10 minutes later, my husband came in to find out what the delay was - no sign of the waitress, to cut a long story short, we had to find the manager and eventually got it sorted. Do check credits!

4. Lots of Inconsistencies

We never seemed to get the same options twice - e.g. the first time at Raglan Road, we were told no starter for Connor. The second time, he was offered a starter off the adult menu. At the CS place at POFQ, I was at first only allowed one scoop of ice cream for a snack, the second time, DH got two. Some days we were told one drink with a CS breakfast - other days (and confirmed by the manager) we got two. Nothing major, but a bit of an annoyance.

5. Not Sure We'd Do It Again

I'm glad we did the DDP this time. It forced us out of our rut of the same few restaurants and forced us to eat at lots we normally wouldn't have ever considered (e.g. Raglan Road that the ILs liked so much they took the kids back the night DH & I had a lovely meal for 2 at Le Cellier). But it was too much food, and the food was far too rich for us. After a week I was gagging for some "simple" lunches & we bought a big box of cereal & milk for breakfast in the room. I think self catering somewhere like the Wilderness Lodge Villas is more our style, but it was worth the experience. :thumbsup2

Thank you for sharing. My family will be using the DDP in September for the first time, so I'm very interested in everyones experiences. It sounds like your children are very adventurous eaters, how nice for you! Our son will be 13 in August and he eats probably less than a dozen types of real food. :confused3 He does however like most types of fruits so at least he eats something that's good for him and he is very healthy.

Maggie

Good tips, thanks!

This will probably be our first and only time on the plan, and I appreciate your insights.

Thanks for your observations. It sounds like you had a great trip.

2. There's Too Much Food!

I read about it, but didn't quite believe it. In fact, before we booked the DDP, we were debating whether one snack, one CS and one TS meal per day would be enough. With the caveat that I know we don't tend to eat all that much, for the three of us after a fortnight, we had 23 snacks and 11 CS credits left over. :lmao:

Before our trip last year, I kept reading about people who would get fruit instead of a dessert at CS restaurants. I rolled my eyes and thought, "puh-lease! How could you possibly have too much chocolate cake???" By about day 3, I was meekly subbing that bowl of grapes and melon for the dessert on at least one of our CS meals. One or two desserts to share between the four of us was plenty.

After so many trips on a tight food budget, the idea of too much food sounds like heaven. I can not wait to eat for free in September!! :banana:

Thanks so much for your report! It really helps with the planning.

OT: We have a Connor too, (My dh's family is of Scottish/Irish ancestry -- lots of discussion as to which!) and I get so upset that no one can seem to spell his name right. Always wanting to add an "E" somewhere. Nice to see another O double N O! LOL
My Connor will be an adult on the DDP this time. Sniff, they grow up too fast.

Thanks again!

4. Lots of Inconsistencies

We never seemed to get the same options twice - e.g. the first time at Raglan Road, we were told no starter for Connor. The second time, he was offered a starter off the adult menu. At the CS place at POFQ, I was at first only allowed one scoop of ice cream for a snack, the second time, DH got two. Some days we were told one drink with a CS breakfast - other days (and confirmed by the manager) we got two. Nothing major, but a bit of an annoyance.

:thumbsup2

Quick question - did you stay at PDFQ this time?
If so, do you recommend and why/why not?
We're thinking of staying there for our November trip.
Thx!

Quick question - did you stay at PDFQ this time?
If so, do you recommend and why/why not?
We're thinking of staying there for our November trip.
Thx!

Hi- yes, we did stay at the POFQ. I'm probably not the best person to ask this though as the only reason we stayed there was because my ILs didn't want to pay the extra money to stay at the WL (where we've always stayed before & are completely in love with the place). POFQ was nice, but it wasn't quite the WL. Having said that, if I weren't so addicted to another resort then yes, I'd be recommending POFQ without any hesitation. It's a nice compact resort, there's lovely riverside walks and even though you don't have your own balcony, it's quiet enough to sit on the communal one at night & watch the horsedrawn carriages go by. The swimming pool is great for kids - we spent mornings at the parks & then came back to the hotel after lunch and let the kids burn off energy every afternoon in the pool. My FIL, who really *didn't* want to go to WDW, loved the boat to DTD. I think he took that boat practically every day so he could potter about the shops.

Bonnie151...were the kids and Adult CS credits tracked separately? I've heard conflicting reports, thanks. We also a party of 2 adults and one child.

By the way it sounds like the plan is good for you, if you have a shorter, say a week or less stay. I can see any food away from home getting tiresome after a week.

Bonnie151...were the kids and Adult CS credits tracked separately? I've heard conflicting reports, thanks. We also a party of 2 adults and one child.

By the way it sounds like the plan is good for you, if you have a shorter, say a week or less stay. I can see any food away from home getting tiresome after a week.

TS are divided in to kids & adults.

CS are all lumped....BUT if you go to a counter, you would only be allowed to order 2 adult CS meals at one time. They assume you will order 2 adult & 1 child CS. If you tried to order 3 or more adult CS at one time, you would not be allowed to (even though you have a total of x adult CS for your trip...). BUT conceivably you could order 2 adult CS meals at one place, and up to 2 at another...in theory NEVER ordering a childs CS ever. Now, this IS a grey area....some claim that is unethical, others claim if WDW really wanted to control it they could, just as they do for TS.

HTH

TS are divided in to kids & adults.

CS are all lumped....BUT if you go to a counter, you would only be allowed to order 2 adult CS meals at one time. They assume you will order 2 adult & 1 child CS. If you tried to order 3 or more adult CS at one time, you would not be allowed to (even though you have a total of x adult CS for your trip...). BUT conceivably you could order 2 adult CS meals at one place, and up to 2 at another...in theory NEVER ordering a childs CS ever. Now, this IS a grey area....some claim that is unethical, others claim if WDW really wanted to control it they could, just as they do for TS.

HTH

Thanks for the clarification! Good post.

I wish my 3 year old was that adventurous. He WILL try new things, he just invariably does not like them.

We were there 5/25-6/2, and we didn't have any problems with the kids' menus either. My kids eat pretty much anything, but they only ate chicken strips one time, at Collumbia Harbour House, and they had fish at the same time.

They always picked applesauce and grapes for their sides; dh kept track of getting their desserts, but not once did they get the sugar free jello. At Pop food court they had the tye-dye cheesecake, at El Pirata (MK) they had a chocolate chip cookie, at La Cantina they had a churro, at Tusker House they had chocolate cake (shared between the two of them), and I don't remember what else they had, but it wasn't ever the jello.

At WCC, we got them worms in the dirt, and they ended up eating fruit instead and leaving the worms in the dirt. Those cannot be my kids!!!

The table service menus were great for them as well. They picked from the ala carte menu, and got the fruit dessert (by choice) all except 50's PTC, and WCC as I mentioned above.

We shared several CS meals without any problems, and we came home with 6 CS leftover (8 night/9 day trip).

To the OP: Sorry to take over your thread, but I didn't want to start a new one with the related topic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter