Just back from the Wyndham Palms Resort & Country Club -- any ???'s

I am so glad to hear about this resort. We are Disney Resort fanatics and have a difficult time adjusting to the idea of being "off-site". :rolleyes: Actually, it's only me who has trouble with it, my husband is happy at just about any nice resort.
Unfortunately, for economic reasons, I thought we were not going to be able to make a trip to DW to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. And I've been so depressed about it!
Our anniversary is June 3rd, our annual DW passes expire June 15th, and we were hoping to go for Memorial Day weekend. I just couldn't justify spending the money, even for a discounted rate at a Disney moderate resort.
The Wyndham is offering a fantastic rate for a one bedroom during the holiday weekend and I am going to book it!
I still feel a little out of sorts about staying off site but it's great to read these glowing reports. Thanks so much!
Should I request building 10? Building 20 sounds nice too! (We are getting the one bedroom, not the 2.)
Thanks so much for your help everyone!

The information in this thread from others has been great. We just returned last night and I'll try to fill in a couple of other details of things we didn't expect.

Our hotel kingdom price was 88.90/night, but the rate when we got there was $79/night. The 88.90 must include tax. We were asked once if we wanted to do a timeshare tour but declined. We weren't asked again. Check in is in a small room that looks more like a converted mobile home. Not a big deal, but wasn't a good first impression.

The location is better then I thought. Get on 545 out of the resort, take a right at 192 and the entrance to Disney World is literally minutes away.

In the kitchen we expected plates, glasses and utensils. The kitchen has much more, in fact, on the inside of a cupboard there is a full page list of items in each kitchen. There are glass and plastic cups, wine glasses, steak knives, a serving tray, hotpads, placemats, dishwasher detergent, etc. Much more then we had thought there would be.

The master bedroom/bathroom is really just one big room except for the small room with the toilet. Also, there are lots of mirrors and the shower doors are clear, not frosted. Not a problem for our family, but be aware that once you walk into the master bedroom you can see the entire bathroom area, including anyone who is in the shower.

The main pool area is a long way from some of the buildings. Even though they have golf cart "shuttles" to the pool, they only run until 8:00pm. My kids missed not being able to walk to the pool. Even the long walk from some of the Caribbean Beach rooms to the pool is nothing compared to the walk from some of the buildings at the Wyndham Palms to the main pools.

The 2 bedroom has a jacuzzi, but there is no "public" hottub. We kind of missed sitting in the hottub with other families and discussing our vacation.

Mini golf, bikes, basketball and ping pong are all free at the main pool. We only did the mini golf but it was fun.

The type of visitor to this resort isn't "typical Disney vacationers". There weren't as many young children, most kids were older and there were lots of "retirement age" people. Not saying this is good or bad, just different then the HIFS and Disney resorts.

The pools don't really have any sort of theming. No water slides, toys, or anything unique about the pools. This didn't stop our kids from having fun, but the pool area is kind of plain. Also, they did have games such as bingo, water balloon toss, and a "mummy wrap".

The game room and gift shop are minor issues but a disappointment. The game room is a hallway with maybe 5 games in it. The gift shop is actually just a golf pro shop without the typical "touristy stuff" like t-shirts, swimwear, books, etc.

Our room was fabulous, it was very big with nice decor. It was great having 2 bathrooms, 2 bedrooms and a full kitchen. Even the washer/dryer came in handy as we didn't bring very many warm clothes and the first part of the week was very cool. Also, Wendy, the Wyndham by Request manager, called a couple of times to make sure everything was alright and even left us a hand-written welcome note and a plate of cookies. She was fantastic.

The resort is similar to a resort that you might find anywhere in the country. For us, we miss the Disney theming and attention to detail. For a family that needs the extra space, this is a fantastic place to stay. I think that our family will, however, go back to a Disney resort next time. As beautiful as the Wyndham Palms is, it just didn't feel the same without the Disney touches.

Darren,
Thanks for the informative post. I booked the one bedroom through Hotelkingdom but I've been having second thoughts about it.
We LOVE Disney Resorts and we don't need the extra space. It's just that the price is so good.
I think I am going to cancel the reservation. :(

I just don't think we'll be happy there.

I also don't understand why they would set up the bedroom/bathroom that way. So, if one person gets up early and wants to take a shower, they are disturbing the other person?
It seems crazy to design it that way.

I have to start looking for a good Disney deal now!

I'm glad you and your family had a good time!

I'm definately not trying to make anyone change their mind, just giving my observations.

Our original reservations were at POR at $119/night ($132 with tax). With the Wyndham Palms at $88.90/night and the extra bedroom, the extra bathroom, and a full kitchen it seemed like an easy decision.

Without a doubt, the Wyndham Palms is a better value by far. The rooms and grounds are beautiful, but there are the Disney atmosphere things that are missing, at least for us.

Since we had intended on staying at POR, we visited that resort for future reference. The whole time my kids commented on the fantastic pool, the cool looking buildings, the huge arcade, and the food court. Even though the rooms at the Wyndham Palms are much, much better then at POR, there are the missing Disney things we've learned to love in our 3 stays at Disney resorts.

The Wyndham Palms is absolutely an incredible value, it just wasn't quite what we expect for a Florida vacation.

Hi Darren,
I didn't mean to make it sound like your post made me change my mind.
I posted about this on the Disney Resort board because I just KNEW I would not be happy at a non-Disney hotel. I was hoping some diehard Disney Resort fans would give me encouragement about staying off-site. That didn't happen.
I realize that staying at a Disney Resort is a major part of a DW vacation for us. It's just me and my husband now and we don't need the bigger accomodations, we do pretty good with a cooler in the room!
We have stayed at most of the Disney Resorts and we are always happy there. The Boardwalk is our favorite, but it's pricey!

I appreciate your observations about the Wyndham Palms.
While you didn't make me change my mind, you helped me realize that I would be best to go with my gut feelings about it. I just haven't felt right since making the reservation.

Thanks for replying and I hope you have many more wonderful DW vacations!

Has anyone done the timeshare here? The reason that I ask is because I would like to book a room here, but it is showing as sold out for the times that we are looking at. There appear to be rooms available through the timeshare program though. I am just curious what the presentation is like and if it is worth it.

We didn't do the timeshare presentation but a LOT of people did the week we were there. The building and parking lot for the timeshare checkin always had a lot of people.

I've always said that I won't do a timeshare presentation on vacation. Some of them bother me too much and I don't want to ruin the vacation. Some people have the personality that the high pressure doesn't bother them, it does bother me.

The one nice thing about this presentation would be that you already have your "gift". We have several friends that went to "90 minute" presentations only to come back 3 hours later saying that they kept getting more pressure and couldn't walk out because they didn't have the gift yet. Here, you already have the discounted rate on your room. Once their given time is up, you could just leave. Since you already have the lower rate, they really have no way of keeping you there once their promised time is up.

Darren

Thanks so much for the trip report. I too will miss some of the Disney Magic, but with DS and his family coming, we needed the space and thought that this was a great deal.

I had read another thread that was giving me a lot of doubts about my decision to stay here, (I was very happy after reading cinamin's reports). Well, I have definately heard more good than bad, so I am happy about the decision.

From what I understand, Wyndham has recently taken over this property, and hopefully will strive to make a few changes to the check-in area and pool areas.

Also, sorry to hear about such a small game room. :( That is one thing I was hoping was decent for my 16 yr. old grandson.

Darren -

Thanks for the reply. I have to agree that I actually don't want to spend any of our time at the timeshare presentation, especially since this is our first trip. The only reason that I was considering it was because they were sold out at the normal value rate and The Wyndham Palms looked so nice. I think that we are actually going to stay at the HIFS this trip and try to get the Palms for the next one.

My parents went on the timeshare presentation, and they said that it wasn't high pressure at all. They said that many people were buying into the property. If anyone is curious, I think they said the 2 bedroom cost $27,000 for a week a year for a lifetime. They have been on many timeshare presentations across the US, and they said this is one of the most expensive pieces of property that they've ever looked at but one of the least high-pressure sales presentations they've ever attended. The presentation also comes with a meal.

The property was very nice. We would definitely stay there again if we can get the cheap rates again. Honestly, I liked the rooms there more than the rooms at The Contemporary. I would love to have that master bathroom in my house!!!

We did eat the free continental breakfast a few times. We thought it was nice.

:bounce:

I don't see any listed on hotel kingdom but wondering if they were offered at a good rate or for a time share presentation this looks like a great place but I could really use a 3 bedroom.

We stayed there Memorial Day weekend and were quite happy. We own both DVC and Marriott and these units were right up there. They were the largest units we ever had too. The resort is very large and is still going under some major changes from the private ownership of Tempus to the Management with Wyndham. I was told that the name change just happened very recently. They are completely rebuilding the check in area - thus the check-in in a trailor type complex.
We did the timeshare presentation and you are wisked passed about 400 waiting people and taken right in. as you are a on-site guest. You do get a full hot breakfast and/or lunch with the low pressure presentation. They fully understood from the beginning that we were spending the weekend there to save on points at DVC. They were fine with it.
The free food started Friday at check in with a BBQ going on at the pool. We had a late lunch while we were waiting for the room. We got it early too! They did refuse to honorWyndham by Request as we were on the timeshare package. The M-F continental breakfast was very nice too. Enjoyed the sun on checkout day, sitting pool side and sipping fresh juice and eating pastires and fresh fruits.
The kids really enjoyed the mini golf. It was small but a nice touch, the bikes were free too. They had pool side games with give aways and also drawings during the week. The kids did the Friday night movie night and had fun and me and DH had even more fun going to Charley's Steak House alone!!! The pools are in clusters of three regular type pools. The lounge chairs had great, thick, comfortable cushions on them too. It felt all most all inclusives vs. Disney trying to put an additional cost on everything.
Now we usually stay on site and did BWV prior that week. No - you are not on site but only a few minutes away. This is the less busy end of 192 too. Now, we didn't love using the ticket and transportation center but if you do use every once in a while you just enjoy the next trip on site more and appreciate the busses.
This site is an ideal location and property and we will stay again when we go off site on weekends to avoid high point usage at DVC. The patio was big and comfortable. The bathroom is set up like most timeshares.....a private haven for couples, with the kids at the other end of time share, about 800 feet away!. They have their own bathroom and all. Sometimes when I went to their room to get something, I thought, what a walk - it is that big! The kitchen was wonderful. Full size everything and most kithen supplies you could ever need.
The little golf cart service was nice, but we actually drove to the pool. They will be building a three pool complex across from building 22 as the last building in that area is finished in August. They expect 78 total buildings and now there are 10 or so and the building will continue for years. They realized to compete in the timeshare market they had to have a good name like Wydham to even compete at all with Marriott, Hilton or Disney. They are getting much better at what they are doing. I would not hesitate to resommend this property and we are known to be picky!! Go and enjoy.

Niagara! What a great report! We will be staying there in September, and I am looking forward to it very much!

I have a few questions... My dh's legel state of address is his parents in IL and he still has a IL DL but we're stationed in OH and that's not on the elgible list but IL is. Would it be unexceptable to stay there? Also we don't quite make 55K a year per what the AF says is comprable with our benifits and not near taxable) I just want to know how much of a background check do they do? Just wondering if it's even possible. Even if we made 55K or more a year it's doubtful we'd buy a timeshare :p

tkme4ard,
although I have not done the Wyndham Palms time share tour, I have done several other timeshare tours in Orlando. I have never been asked for proof of income. I am a single mom & just explain to them I have a really good job. They *will* ask you what your income is, so be prepared for what you feel you want to answer, if you answer less than the requirement, then they have the right (according to hotelkingdom's website) to charge you the regular rates for your stay as you would not qualify for the original deal you signed up for. They can not/will not contact your employer to verify income unless you are actually buying.

They may or may not ask for your drivers license but since it is issued by IL, I would tell them the same address thats on the DL as your address when they ask you.

I just booked a two-bedroom villa at the Wyndham Palms this morning thru hotelkingdom.com for $88.90 per night. Do we have to attend the timeshare presentation? The hotelkingdom.com people didn't mention anything about it. I really don't want to.

The property does look nice and it's a steal at that price.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

how did you get a 2 bedroom villa for 88.90? is it the times that your going that makes it cheaper? I'm looking at the end of augest/fist of sept and it's I think 144$ for the non time share rate.

Angela

Why would you book a 2 bed villa when you can get a 3 bed home with private pool for not a lot more? I know folks love WP's for it's amenities but there are other communities that have a lot of what WP has (except the Cinema) and are quieter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter