Just Back from SWO

risy

DIS Veteran
We spent 2 days in the park and the crowds were comparable to off-season. Total time to walk through and get on Kraken was 10-15 minutes.

Journey to Atlantis is advertised as "closed until June 13th", however, they had it open on Monday.
I was surprised at how many things had been eliminated or closed (boat shows, waterskiing, Circus del Mar, Sky Tower, Paddle Boats, JTA)

Disappointment: Everytime we went to the underwater viewing for the whales, it was empty.
Improvement: Penguin house was not stinky!

We fly in on Thanksgiving, and initially I was planning to check into our hotel and then head over to SW about 3:00. Then we would go back on Friday. I am wondering if we could do it "all" on Friday. DH, me, DS9 and DD5. We would not be doing the big thrill rides. Mostly interested in Clyde and Seymour show, SHamu show, feeding the dolphins, seeing the sharks and penguins. Please let me know what you think. I am considering this to give us on our first night there time to hit DD, and maybe check out resort deco's at WDW.

It is possible to cover most of SW in one day, but it does need you to "commando" the park as the show times don't aways dovetail sufficiently for you to take time to "smell the roses" on the way round the park. With kids that age there is a good chance they will want to spend time feeding and petting dolphins/stingrays, taking time in the play area at Shamu's happy harbour, holding some of the creatures in the "tide pool" area outside the tropical reef and a number of other things that you wouldn't initially expect on a plan.

Seeing as SW almost always offers a second day free option I would look on this as an opportunity to save one day's pass costs at another park as well as the chance to take a couple of slightly more relaxed days in SW's park. It's unlikely that you'll need to set aside two full days at SW, but it may be a good option if you have a special meal booked one evening so either leave the park at say 4.00 in order to give you enough time to get ready to go out or to have a late start the following day and arrive at the park midday/early afternoon. You can rush through in one day, but IMHO taking the extra FREE time will help you ( and maybe more importantly your kids) to get the most out of the experience.

Keep in mind that the Park will only be open until 7 or 8 pm that week.

I would definitely go for one short day and then another full day. This way you can:
Get a map and an idea of available shows & attractions.
See a few attractions in and maybe a show.
Stand in line to get your "Second Day Free" ticket.
There is a great climbing & play area for kids of all ages where your DS & DD can stretch their legs after the plane trip!

Your DS and DH might also want to take in JTA and Kraken. I have 3 little girls and we all love to "watch Daddy ride the scary roller coaster". There is a good spot near the entrance to Kraken where you can see your loved ones up-close as they speed by.

Do not miss Wild Arctic - you can go "by foot" where you see a movie of a helicopter ride to the North Pole, or "by Helicopter" which has height restrictions. The "by foot" route always has a much shorter wait.

is the 2nd day free going on now? We r leaving tomorrow and i will leave earlier if we can go to SW when we get there and again on sunday, but would hate to waste my tickets on a half day tomorrow if we cant go back for free on Sun.

I saw the sign as I was exiting park....2nd Day Free.

Call 1-888-800-5447 to speak to ticket/info agents.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter