Just back from NYE on the Magic

IowaMom

Earning My Ears
We just arrived home an hour ago, we had a 28 hour drive and we did it straight through. We had a great time even though we did get do to Castaway Cay:( I will try to do a report soon. I will be glad to answer questions. We did the Gold Eagle Catamaran and went to Megan's Bay also went to Freeport instead of Castaway Cay. I've got lots of NYE info. Also maybe able to answer teen questions since 3 of our 4 are teens. Any questions?

We have two teenagers (14 & 17) that will be cruising with us on the July 6th Magic. We'd love to hear how your teens enjoyed themselves, what activities did they like (and dislike), and any other info you can provide. btw, what ages are your teens?

Thanks!

Bummer that you didn't get to Castaway Cay. Did you go to Lucayan Beach at Freeport? What time did you arrive at Freeport and what time did you depart? Were they able to arrange excursions with such short notice?

stormkrow
My teens are dd13, ds16, dd17. My kids had mixed reactions, my 13dd spend most of her time with her 11 year old sister she was not comfortable at common grounds but she just turned 13 two days before the cruise. My 16ds thought it was o.k. thats in his words. He had a good time at the teen New Years Eve party, in was was in the ESPN sky box. He had a great time on the cruise but did very little with common grounds, most of his time was spent with one of his sisters or the family. Both older teens did the 411 the first night but said it was unorganized and not very helpful. I thought my very social ds would love common grounds and my 17dd would not care for it, but my daughter met some really nice kids there and spent most nights with them after dinner. They did not go to common grounds very often, they went swimming or to movies and just hung out together. Her group had about 8-10 teens and none of them cared for common grounds. When I asked her why she said the counselors seem to be burned out and crabby. I did hear that this was the last cruise for 2 of them before they started there leave. My 17dd is very mature for her age and I trust her opinion. Now if my 16ds had said that I would have questioned him alittle more. Dd and her friends exchanged addresses and e-mails addresses and want to keep in touch. All of my kids had a great time and want to cruise again. Common Grounds is not for everybody but the teens I saw on the ship all seemed to be having a good time. Sorry this is so long, hope I answered you question feel free to ask any more.

After you have some sleep, I would like to know how the Golden Eagle Catamaran Excursion was for you. Did you go swimming or snorkling also, and how was the water temperature.

How was Megan's Bay and do you recommend it.

Thanks in advance for your reply
B

Dave
It was a big bummer, I had was told the night before at dinner by our server that it would be a rough night for sea sickness. Our daughter and myself had problems with this and he was giving us a heads up. Once I heard that I just knew we would not be going, and I was right. My ds and I went up on deck 9 and watched as the captain tried to get into the cay. He tried going in forward twice and than tried backing in. The winds were so bad we were all suprised he tried at all. The waves were going over the breaker wall at the cay and the captain said the beach was a wash out. He also said the dock at castaway cay was designed for the ships to be able to dock at 30 knot winds and we were at 40 knots. Back to your other questions. At first the captain said we would have a day at sea because nassau and freeport were in the same condition. Than 45 min. later he said freeport had improved and they were going to get it a try. We docked at Lucayan Beach at 1:30 and all ashore was at 2:00 or so. We had to back on the ship by 7:30. As far as excursions there were none, you were on your own. I understand it was last minute but the staff was no help. I tried to get some basic information like a map or beaches in the area. I went to guest services and the shore excursion desk and got no info. There was know one at the shore excursions desk. There were a lot of confused and frustrated people. After talking with my Dh we decided that he would stay on the ship with the younger 2 (11&13) and I would go a shore with the 16 & 17. We left the ship and saw a couple hundred people waiting for taxis. I did see some one from the Magic standing out there and I asked him if he knew what our options were and he said beach or shopping. He did'nt know what beaches there were or places to shop. I did see a little information booth that had a map. We decided to shop and explore a little. We got in line for a taxi, what a mess. When we finally got a taxi the driver would not answer me on a price. I did hear him tell the others in our taxi a fare. So we took our chances and went to the International Market I think that what it was called. When we got there the driver said he had no money to make change and ended up keeping our 15.00 instead the 12.00 we owed him. I later found out this happened to just about everyone. If you happen to visit Freeport don't bother with th Int. Market. It's not worth the time. We were still glad to get off the ship and see Freeport, it no Castaway Cay but it was better than nothing. Hopefully disney will be more organized next time. I know this was long but I hope I answered questions feel free to ask anymore. You were a huge help in my planning for this trip so I am more than happy to give back a little.

Thanks for the information. I'm still curious how my Ds 14 and Dd 17 will enjoy Common Grounds. From what you're saying, it sounds like Common Grounds is more of an area to initially meet people your own age and then to go off and do things together (but not necessarily at CG).

As long as my two teenagers have a good time, that's all I care about. My Dd heads to college this Fall and this may be our families last big vacation together.

Thanks Again!

iowamom....my kids are exactly the same ages as yours....dd17, ds16, dd13. We have sailed DCL 4 times already. My teens love the cruise. We are going again on 2/23/02 for another 7-day. Yes, as you say common grounds seems to be where they meet and my kids did go there occasionaly during the cruise but they had more fun meeting other teens and hanging by the pool, or up on the sports deck, movies, etc.

My dd13 loved the teen excursion in St. Maarten (harbor cruise). They really enjoy the whole Disney cruise experience. They are a little worried this year because we are going on a non-holiday week and they are hoping there will be other teens to meet. All of our other cruise were duringt he summer and there were literally hundreds of teens cruising.

When we were at Castaway Cay this past cruise in July what used to be the "Teen Only" beach seemed to be taken over by adults. They were a little disappointed that there was no exclusive teen beach for them. On previous cruises that teen beach had all the teens hanging out and having a good time.

MJ

Dave (from Marietta),

Have you started to keep track of the ships that make it to Castaway Cay - versus those that dont'?? It would take some time to compile some stats --- but, I think it would be something that would be asked for often...... Just wondering?

Originally posted by wovenwonder

Dave (from Marietta),

Have you started to keep track of the ships that make it to Castaway Cay - versus those that don't? It would take some time to compile some stats --- but, I think it would be something that would be asked for often...... Just wondering?

No. Somebody had started to compile that info some months ago, but I don't know if anything ever came of it. Their track record does seem to have been poorer during the past few months, but, goodness, I don't think I'd want to be on Castaway Cay anyway during the conditions that IowaMom described.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter